• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Browning FN MKIII finally arrived back from Fogle's Gunsmithing where she was reblued to a mirror finish, and most of her control parts nitre blued for accent.  I am very pleased with the final res

Yes, the CZ 75 series of 9mm pistols are very, very good. . .  which is why I went for a 75 B SA pistol, and then sent it off to "Ghost Products Inc." (CZ USA's Custom Shop) to have its single action

I was fortunate that week by reacting to the AIM Surplus email that I received fast enough to. . . secure one of the reported "select grade" condition Israeli police surplus FN MkIII (Browning Hi-Powe

Posted Images

Thanks, I will take that. It makes my point. Look at the one citation from that article (stub):

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/wonder.html

"What is a Wonder Nine?

As a general rule, a wonder nine is a semiautomatic pistol which fires the 9 mm cartridge, and offers a number of features considered to be valuable for combat. These are generally not considered to be target guns. They are intended for combat use, and the emphasis is on firepower, safety, and readiness. The main features identifying these guns are:

• Double column magazine, generally holding from a dozen to just under twenty cartridges.
  • Double action trigger system
  • Polymer, stainless, or alloy construction for ease of maintenance.

The C-Net article is basically ad-copy. 

we may define things differently, but I respect your right to be wrong. greedy.gif

you didn't note from the same :

seems like your earlier statement was the action needed to be DA/SA

now its double action, well DA kind of = safe action

same / same

pull trigger gun goes bang without cocking a hammer or lack there of.

Examples include the MAB PA-15 (1968),[citation needed]Heckler & Koch VP70 (1970), Smith & Wesson Model 59 (1971[1][2]), Beretta 92 and CZ-75 (both 1975), Steyr GB (late 1970s/1981), Glock 17 (1982), and SIG Sauer P226 (1984).

we all know the wiki is never wrong.

Note the H&K VP70 is also a polymer striker fired gun plus was select fire.

I'm sure a professional automotive writer's calling it a "muscle car" would carry more weight than a few laymen opinions in a court of law,

maybe not on a forum but who cares?

trust me on this I not an expert on any of this but I'm prepared to play one on TV or a forum plus I might stay at a Best Western in the future.

Edited by the 4th Doctor

I just got my first 9mm's this year, probably doesn't count as wonder 9's, but I like them:

1. TNW Aero-survival carbine. It uses Glock mags and is easily converted to .40 and .45.

2. Wifey just got a Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm revolver. No moon clip needed. Real fun to shoot and a good SD gun for her.

• Like 1

My favorite nine is my IMI Uzi. While not a "wonder nine" it's accurate, and extremely reliable. With the Israeli issue SMG ammo, it's got plenty of snort.

Well, in that case. .  . my absolute favorite "wonder nine" is my wife's Dakota Tactical D34 9mm carbine:

CIMG5516_zps15d68dec.jpg

CIMG5508_zps4ef96e75.jpg

greedy.gif

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

TUNDRA,

YOU JUST MISSED A BATCH OF HI-POWERS OVER AT AIM SURPLUS, RANGING FROM $429-499, DEPENDING ON CONDITION.

AIM HAS HAD SEVERAL BATCHES OF THESE RECENTLY, SO I'D GO OVER THERE AND GET SIGNED-UP FOR A NOTIFICATION THE NEXT TIME THEY HAVE THEM IN STOCK. . . .

I was fortunate that week by reacting to the AIM Surplus email that I received fast enough to. . . secure one of the reported "select grade" condition Israeli police surplus FN MkIII (Browning Hi-Power) 9mm pistols.  Even paid the additional $10 for 'hand pick."   Upon inspecting the pistol after its arrival. . . . the matching serial numbered barrel appears to me to have never been fired (though that's gotta be unlikely).  The exterior bluing on the slide's forend was rather worn; it must have been carried and holstered a great deal, and the pistol's plastic grips were somewhat dinged-up (not that I care; I'll be replacing them in short order with a set of Craig Spegel wood grips) . . . . to the point that normally I would believe the pistol should have been catorgized as "in good condition" verus excellent.  Yet, it is a surplus police pistol and it was AIM Surplus that I purchased it from, so. . . . I suppose in their view, it was in excellent condition.

Took the pistol out to the firing range for the first time this past Saturday, and. . . . I was friggen thrilled by how well she shot; her POI was very tight.

Got plans for this baby. . . . gonna send her off to be completely re-blued to a high polish and I'll trick her out in a few other ways as well.  This was a super-fantastic purchase. 000.gif

FN%20Mk%20III%20pistol_zpsovgwuz5p.png

AIM presently have "Refinished FN MK 3 Hi-Power 9mm Pistols" available.  These select few pistols have been refinished with a hot black oxide finish and look fantastic!  (Much better than the pistol pictured above.)

If anyone is interested (forum rules prohibit me from posting a weblink sad.png ).

Edited by Gary

AIM presently have "Refinished FN MK 3 Hi-Power 9mm Pistols" available.  These select few pistols have been refinished with a hot black oxide finish and look fantastic!  (Much better than the pistol pictured above.)

If anyone is interested (forum rules prohibit me from posting a weblink sad.png ).

$530 but really nice looking, especially with the wood grips.

TUNDRA,

YOU JUST MISSED A BATCH OF HI-POWERS OVER AT AIM SURPLUS, RANGING FROM $429-499, DEPENDING ON CONDITION.

AIM HAS HAD SEVERAL BATCHES OF THESE RECENTLY, SO I'D GO OVER THERE AND GET SIGNED-UP FOR A NOTIFICATION THE NEXT TIME THEY HAVE THEM IN STOCK. . . .

I was fortunate that week by reacting to the AIM Surplus email that I received fast enough to. . . secure one of the reported "select grade" condition Israeli police surplus FN MkIII (Browning Hi-Power) 9mm pistols.  Even paid the additional $10 for 'hand pick."   Upon inspecting the pistol after its arrival. . . . the matching serial numbered barrel appears to me to have never been fired (though that's gotta be unlikely).  The exterior bluing on the slide's forend was rather worn; it must have been carried and holstered a great deal, and the pistol's plastic grips were somewhat dinged-up (not that I care; I'll be replacing them in short order with a set of Craig Spegel wood grips) . . . . to the point that normally I would believe the pistol should have been catorgized as "in good condition" verus excellent.  Yet, it is a surplus police pistol and it was AIM Surplus that I purchased it from, so. . . . I suppose in their view, it was in excellent condition.

Took the pistol out to the firing range for the first time this past Saturday, and. . . . I was friggen thrilled by how well she shot; her POI was very tight.

Got plans for this baby. . . . gonna send her off to be completely re-blued to a high polish and I'll trick her out in a few other ways as well.  This was a super-fantastic purchase. 000.gif

If Gary says something  looks "fantastic" I am inclined to take his word for it.

You can tell the phrase to google for without posting a link, and the name of the company.

• Like 1

If Gary says something  looks "fantastic" I am inclined to take his word for it.

You can tell the phrase to google for without posting a link, and the name of the company.

I appreciate the vote of confidence.  But... one can decide for themself; here is the photo that AIM Surplus has posted of the pistol:

BHP%20refurbished_zpsoaqqn8ce.png

Granted, the grips look a little chewed on... but they can readily be replaced.

Edited by Gary

Those are new enough to have HP friendly feed ramps, aren't they? I really haven't memorized the distinction between various versions of hi powers, but they are nice pistols.

I think the worn bluing is more aesthetically pleasing than duracoat type stuff. Hot black oxide could look good or boring to me, but it should be fairly durable. 

Browning Hi-Powers new, are kinda ridiculously expensive (IMHO).  So... obtaining a decent conditioned one under $600 to $500 seems somewhat of a bargain I think.  But what do I know; money sometimes burns a hole in my pocket. 021.gif

As for the specimen I obtained from AIM Surplus:  I've shipped her slide to NOVAK Designs to have new iron sights installed.  Today, I shipped her safety lever off to Jim Garthwaite to have him modify it.  I have already replaced the pistol's trigger with a Garthwaite competition trigger... and I've replaced her sear and hammer with Elite Warrior Armament products (a Colt 1911 commander-style hammer).  Lastly, I've ordered custom Craig Spegel wood grips for her.

Anyway, once the slide and safety lever are returned, the entire pistol will be shipped for rebluing to a high luster, with some of her controls receiving nitre-bluing.  She should be quite the looker once all is said and done.  wink.png

Those are new enough to have HP friendly feed ramps, aren't they? I really haven't memorized the distinction between various versions of hi powers, but they are nice pistols.

I think the worn bluing is more aesthetically pleasing than duracoat type stuff. Hot black oxide could look good or boring to me, but it should be fairly durable. 

GUNFUN,

AS I RECALL, THE ONES WITH THE LARGER SAFETY AND THE SPUR HAMMER ALSO HAVE THE IMPROVED FEED RAMP.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344
  • 3 months later...

TUNDRA,

My Browning FN MKIII finally arrived back from Fogle's Gunsmithing where she was reblued to a mirror finish, and most of her control parts nitre blued for accent.  I am very pleased with the final results.  Now she's a heirloom piece.  wink.png

CIMG6237_zpsmririg0n.jpg

CIMG6243_zpshjqecqve.jpg

CIMG6236_zpsxw5nslea.jpg

• Like 9

TUNDRA,

My Browning FN MKIII finally arrived back from Fogle's Gunsmithing where she was reblued to a mirror finish, and most of her control parts nitre blued for accent.  I am very pleased with the final results.  Now she's a heirloom piece.  wink.png

CIMG6237_zpsmririg0n.jpg

CIMG6243_zpshjqecqve.jpg

CIMG6236_zpsxw5nslea.jpg

The Nitre blued accent parts really adds to the class. I really want to try that out sometime, I love the look. It's often complimentary to bronze or case hardened colors too.

• Like 4