Special Forces, Navy Seals Question...????

A range friend, locally raised, Seal, medical/wound retired 2 years ago, Daily carries Sig 220, said it was what he carried for a side arm for 7 years. Mentioned went from 9mm to 45acp about 8 years ago, do to having to go to side arm often in tight situations, enemy is too often hyped up on junk. Use ball ammo, so bigger holes, less rounds to take down.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 2

It's a personal choice as far as sidearms go in the Army SpecOps units. Lots of Glocks, Sigs, Colts and HK pistols. You buy your own shit. Leave the Beretta in perfect condition, it makes a great ornament paperweight.

Fixed it for you.  In regular line units the grunts are issued the crap / I mean the berettas.  But either in the line or SpecOps units both know that the pistol is a sad substitute for a long arm...

Also, never saw a colt in use -- 7+1 don't cut it.

Edited by Odd Man Out
  • Like 4

friend of mines son is a AF Pararescue type

they had some glock 19s custom made (threaded barrel and some other stuff added or done to them) for a while but ran into a problem with how they were carrying it, the grip would get a rope burn in the chest rig they had when fast roping out of a helicopter

read the other day the Marines are issuing some G19s to some special units  

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2015/02/17/glock-19-pistols-approved-for-marsoc-operators/23548847/

that said I think the trend of late is going back to more knock down

Edited by the 4th Doctor

It's a personal choice as far as sidearms go in the Army SpecOps units. Lots of Glocks, Sigs, Colts and HK pistols. You buy your own shit. Leave the Beretta in perfect condition, it makes a great ornament paperweight.

Fixed it for you.  In regular line units the grunts are issued the crap / I mean the berettas.  But either in the line or SpecOps units both know that the pistol is a sad substitute for a long arm...

Also, never saw a colt in use -- 7+1 don't cut it.

Interesting. My experience in 11-B as a non special crusty grunt was different on sand hill and harmony church. As an Infantryman, my pistol was a last resort and a personal preference.

I looked through the gov microfich when I was armorer, and you wouldn't believe the shit you could order!  UZI's in all calibers, AK's, RPG's were all there!

But dammed if I could find the Pelican type rifle transport cases the AF boys had!  Tons nicer than the M12 racks when transporting by huey.

• Like 2

I looked through the gov microfich when I was armorer, and you wouldn't believe the shit you could order!  UZI's in all calibers, AK's, RPG's were all there!

But dammed if I could find the Pelican type rifle transport cases the AF boys had!  Tons nicer than the M12 racks when transporting by huey.

AK's...WOW!!! How about Galils?   :D

Possibly?  Just about everything known was there, but probably in limited numbers.  Couldn't order much outside the MTOE unless required for missions.  But you could order up things like AK's for OPFOR and training use.  If I ordered up a AK for a class, I could do it, but after the class I'd have to ship it back to the training command depot.  And then there's the paperwork for it.  Not as bad as the ATF bullshit, but still somewhat painful.  One Reserve unit locally had a sanitary Romanian AK, and a SVD with night vision. 

SOCOM could order up anything!  Blue Streak priority is a wonderful thing.

But most of my ordering was for ammo after I found out that "by the Book", I had to run 30 rounds of ball through each M16A1 that had used a sub-caliber training adapter (.22LR) on FULL AUTO!   Wrecked the state ammunition officier's ammo forcasts, and he was pissed till I showed him the book!  That's what happens when the full timers use the adapters on the ground hogs digging up the airfield.