Uncle of mine passed away some time back and left me a Remington in this caliber. I have never fired it, but my son discovered it in the back of the safe the other day and is curious. Should work for white tail shouldn't it?

• Like 1

killed millions of whitetail bucks in the midwest. that round is a high speed laser beam. go for accurate critical shots and the shock alone will drop a buck where he stands at 100 yards standing all day. awesome for coyote and other critters as well. whitetail buck is about the limit of this and it isnt too grand in the brush if you are driving deer etc. cheap and fun to shoot. sensitive to twitches.... easier to dial in if 8 pounds or more. you wouldnt want a kimber ultralight or some silly t3 shit like that in this caliber for any distance and not on a bipod...

Awesome fast explosive round.

It shoots the same bullet as a .223 Remington (.224"), about 400-600 feet per second faster with a flatter trajectory. The case holds a lot more powder. With a 100 yard zero the bullet should impact about 6.5" low at 300 yards, still moving 2500 FPS-ish.

I remember a friend of mine that we use to go night plinking on his families farm.  I was 16 then (now 52) and he had a bolt action 22-250.  All I remember is that damn rifle left a lasting impression on me!  The crack, the glowing red bullet going down range and the sound of the impact on a varment was just incredible.  Never will forget it, never have.

A former co-worker of mine had one that he used to take prairie dog shooting.  He was a retired Army Ranger who had been through sniper training among other things during his career.  He would reload his own and when we went out to shoot, he took a spotter's scope windage and drop charts. I would spot for him and then watch as he consistently hit 9 out of 10 dogs at 400+ yards.  The 22-250 carries the name "the varminter" for good reason. 

You might want to check your local (state) regulations on using that caliber on deer.  Some states won't allow less than 25cal on deer.

Enjoy it, the 22-250 is one of the finest shooting cartridges made.  I wish I had one.

• Like 1