• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt Hofmann

Kurt Hofmann

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

So within a few weeks, I expect to have my very own Black Aces Tactical DTR.  For those not familiar, it's a 12 gauge pump that takes Saiga mags, has an 8 1/2" barrel, but because of the way "shotgun" is defined in federal law, is legal without any NFA hoops.

I have a Vepr 12, but have never owned a Saiga.  My question is about recommended magazines.  Mostly sticks, but I know at some point I'm going to want a drum (I can't help myself when it comes to that kinda thing).  Any recommendations for max reliability?

Thanks in advance.

#2 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:48 PM

They have modified followers. Black aces has a sketchy reputation for reliability, and customer service.

#3 Kurt Hofmann

Kurt Hofmann

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Much appreciated.  Not what I wanted to hear, but probably something I need to hear.  Just wish I would have checked with you earlier.

#4 AZ-DAVE-IZ109

AZ-DAVE-IZ109

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:32 PM

I would stay away from modding saiga mags. There is literally zero info on what needs to be done. I ruined an sgm 12 rounder because of it. I would stick with the ones they offer. For me at least customer service has been great. Had an issue and got an email back within 10 minutes on a Sunday night.
Check out my YouTube channel!!
https://www.youtube....er/Chestercivic

#5 Kurt Hofmann

Kurt Hofmann

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:36 PM

I just ordered a couple of the mags Black Aces offers.  Not cheap, but nothing is these days.

#6 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:30 AM

There, you got one of our hand full of guys with recent first hand experience. Way better than asking me.

#7 csspecs

csspecs

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

One observation about the shotgun.. If they had come out just a little later they could have used the MKA1919 mags instead of the Saiga, odds are it would have been close to fitting between the action bars, or been close enough to make custom action bars. That could have eliminated the need for a modified magazine.

Just to be clear. Our magazines do not fit those shotguns.

• GunFun likes this

#8 Vance665

Vance665

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

I have a ton of AGP mags I wouldn't mind hacking up now that I replaced them all with css mags. I really want to like this little shotgun but the price kills it for me. If they offered a base model without all the fancy extras for around $800, I would be tempted.

#9 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Deep Fat Fry

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

Get an Adaptive Tactical Venom kit. Much better than the Black Ace IMO.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." Lawrence J. Peter

#10 csspecs

csspecs

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

I have a ton of AGP mags I wouldn't mind hacking up now that I replaced them all with css mags. I really want to like this little shotgun but the price kills it for me. If they offered a base model without all the fancy extras for around $800, I would be tempted.

The base model with the 18" barrel and standard stock is actually $500. It is the short models that cost a bunch.

#11 Vance665

Vance665

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

The base model with the 18" barrel and standard stock is actually $500. It is the short models that cost a bunch.

Yeah, thats the one I like though.

If someone made a saiga12 clone with a brace and overall length of 26.5" I would buy that for $1400+. I can't justify that for a pump.

#12 AZ-DAVE-IZ109

AZ-DAVE-IZ109

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:02 PM

Sending you a pm Vance.
Check out my YouTube channel!!
https://www.youtube....er/Chestercivic

#13 Buckeye78

Buckeye78

• Contributor
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

I just got one (the base model $500 one) and am going to shoot it Saturday morning for the first time.  Quality actually look very good, but that aside back to the mags.  CSpecs metal mags are a no (prob cause their fit to my S12).  SMG's fit like a baby and actually a better fit than the Black Aces one that came with it.  20rd drum is a no go (you could prob mod to fit) and the ProMag 10rd drum fit, but a little loose side to side.  Hope that helps!   

#14 saltydecimator

saltydecimator

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

I'm annoyed we can't get a real gun with off teh shelf components... Like on an akdal or a a Saiga. Or vepr.

What's the law on parts kits? Cause all we really need from rooskies is everything but the barrel receiver and trunnion. Well actually they could give is the bent up flat because the receiver on Saigas is the barrel trunnion. Make it so!!!

Reasonable Politician Control Measures:

-Breathalyzer is mandatory in all personal vehicles

-Only 40% of campaign money can be used on Cocaine and personal luxury items

-Limit of 2 call girls per legislative session (can have multiple rendezvous with taxpayers money, however must be the same 2)

-When a seat becomes vacant, it can only be sold for 110% of what it was sold for last

-All bribery money must be reported on form 1099-Misc

am the gun lobby you treasonous slime!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magazines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users