Just purchased my first saiga 12, what do I need to do first?

Take off the shock absorbers in your car and replace them with solid steel rods. Hmm? Exactly the same principle. Car shocks don't reduce the "visible" bouncing around from hitting a bump, but they make the "felt" bouncing a hell of a lot better.

Actually they do reduce visible bouncing. You ever seen a car with blown out shocks, just bouncing away on the springs? Ever pushed down on a vehicle while changing shocks in your driveway? That fucker will bounce until all energy is lost through friction.

I get the idea behind it, absorb recoil felt by the shooter. All I see is a sharp recoil impulse bouncing his head around, like a bobble head doll. And then the argument of using a video (which is only visual) to show how the "felt recoil" is reduced and not the visible recoil, is absurd. That video shows dude taking a beating from that S12, no different than any other Youtube video of an S12. Leads me to my conclusion of ....waste of money. True reduced recoil comes from mods that are used by Competition shooters. You aint gonna see that BS on a comp gun.

All of the energy released when 3 drams of powder is touched off behind a 1 1/4 oz. slug is exactly the same no matter what hardware is bolted behind it. The shock system spreads that pulse of energy out over a longer period of time. A solid system sends that impulse to your shoulder instantly, whereas the shock system's spring gets compressed, delivering the same total amount of energy to your shoulder over a longer period of time. That's the key. I paid attention in physics classes and know that the area under the curve, with force on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal axis, representing the total amount of energy delivered, remains the same. As you lengthen the time during which that fixed amount of energy is delivered, and the area under the curve (total amount of energy) remains the same, the maximum amplitude must be reduced. Our shoulders still receive the full recoil, though over a longer period of time, and lower amplitude.

Look at the 20 gallons of fuel in your car's gas tank. Release that energy slowly and you gently push your car 400 miles at maybe 60 MPH. Release all 20 gallons of energy instantly, and you wouldn't want to be anywhere near the car. Same amount of energy released, but doing so over increased time makes all the difference.

• Like 2

"Felt" recoil is subjective because the amount of energy of the recoil is not diminished.  You are not going to reduce the energy of the recoil unless you have some kind of muzzle brake that works and most of them don't.  (unless it is one of big ones you see competition shooters using like a mid-barrel)  But you can reduce how sharp of a pulse it is by spring/piston devices.

Videos won't prove anything.  If the guy put a device on his gun and he says it helps with the recoil, I would tend to believe him.

* auto plug instead of V plug.

or at least that's my opinion. if on a budget, go with the factory plug. But cut a little round notch in the hotdog bun forend so you can hold down the gas plug detente with your finger nail. No tools needed anymore.