i've got a bunch of old 12g ammo that keeps separating and lodging the plastic in the barrel.

I'm not going to shoot anymore of it but what do you think I should do with it.

Should I just throw it away or should I salvage the powder and shot for reloading.

It is old Federal Duck & Pheasant #6

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

My 22's are my least shot guns. I know..probably the most shot by others.

But I just can't get excited about shooting my 22 anymore. I need something with a bit more bang and bump.

9mm is about as low as I care to go. I think shooting the 50BMG ruined the 22 experience for me.laugh.png

22 just seems like a toy gun to me.

salvage the shot, then line up the shells at a distance and use 'em for 22 practice.

A bit of caution is in order here. My dad and I did that a few years ago with some corrosive-primed WWII-vintage .45ACP rounds no one wanted to run through their pistol. While shooting at the back end of the rounds, my dad hit one dead-center on the primer. The .22 and .45 bullets went their merry way into the backstop, but the case came back and hit my dad in the knee hard enough to break the skin slightly and leave a nice bruise. Range was between 10 and 15 yards.

Save it. That crappy ammo will still be worth something if it will still deliver a projectile/projectiles. Look at what people paid during the panic for things. If shit was really going bad someone might trade gallons of fuel for a few rounds of ammo.

My 22's are my least shot guns. I know..probably the most shot by others.

But I just can't get excited about shooting my 22 anymore. I need something with a bit more bang and bump.

Had the same problem. Tried 10/22, tried putting a cool stock on it. Tried a lever action and a pistol too. Cool little 1873 replica, made by Colt with a case hardened finish. Looks beautiful but they're all just boring to shoot. Ended up selling all of them except the pistol. Collectors item IMO. 

Only 22 I have now is 5.45x39 :D

You don't want to salvage unknown powder. That's a bad plan. Plus if it so old the other components are degrading, the powder probably has too. There's a partial exception for large quantities of military ammo, with known propellant, but even then you want to do a burn rate comparison to make sure it still behaves the same as recently manufactured powder of the type. And a sifting, and a visual color and clumping test, and a smell test, relative density test...

So not for most experienced reloaders even. But it is how the Hodgedon powder company got started. He got military artillery or mortar shells or something like that (looked it up and WIKI says something about 303 Brit, but I am pretty sure I've read elsewhere that he started getting propellant from bigger shells that was suitable for small arms.) and got the contract to pull them down for salvage, reselling the powder to private users. Then he later got the equipment to manufacture the powder and I think acquired a company or two that manufactured. Now Hodgedon makes all of the powder branded Winchester/Olin. Hodgedon still sells that type of powder.H4895 Also BLC-2

• Like 1

Good idea.

If things get real bad I could trade them for a rat burger.

I can't help but think of the Road Warrior where Max comes across some old shells for his sawed off double barrel 

and some still fire while most just go fizzle…lol

Somehow he has the magical ability to tell which are good by shaking them. That makes me laugh every time.

I can't help but think of the Road Warrior where Max comes across some old shells for his sawed off double barrel 

and some still fire while most just go fizzle…lol

That was an old black powder shell.  I have several in my collection.  I fired one in my old single shot.  Plenty of fire/smoke, then dumped the shot out of the barrel.

What would cause shell separation?

Was this a manufacturing defect from the start or has age caused this?

If I had to guess I would say these are from the 70's or 80's.

Igot these with a bunch of other shells from the same person of the same time

and all the other brands have performed well. It is just these Federal #6 shells that are bad.

You don't see to many that look like brass like this anymore. They do fire fine but just separate after fireing.

This is all I have left so no big loss either way. 

post-46572-0-36517800-1455774887_thumb.jpg