Well, tax season has come again, and the wife-to-be has given her approval for a new firearm purchase. Not that I particularly need it, but it causes fewer headaches that way. Anyhoo, my collection is in it's infancy, and is lacking in some vital areas I think. I have a Saiga x39. I have a 1919 Lee Enfield, and I have an old 20ga bolt action...Mossberg If memory serves me. Ive been eyeing the mini 14s and 30s, im drawn to them for whatever reason. Considering an ar too because...everyone else is doing it I guess? But I feel compelled to get an 870(gotta have a 12ga!) Or some kind of bolt action .22(teach the kids to shoot, plinking, small game). Indecisive as I am, I look to you(yes, you!), for suggestions. Also, anybody else got plans for their refund checks? Thanks everybody!

For 12 gauge it's hard to beat a Mossberg 500 or 590. Better controls than the 870 and Remington quality has been nosediving. For 22lr, go with a Ruger 10/22. Cheap, durable, reliable and TONS of options and aftermarket. Mini 14/30s are nice (I have one) but an AR is nearly impossible to beat because of options and modularity. If it came down to a choice between the two I would go AR15.

• Like 1

I've heard Mini's suffer a bit in the accuracy department. You're drawn to the Mini, I'm sure because of the action, or perhaps the looks of it? My vote is for the M1A. She's heavy, but very accurate, it looks and functions the same (some parts are different between the two), and chambered for 7.62Nato/.308. If you still must have a 5.56, though, then I vote for  the IWI Tavor. I don't even reach for the AR anymore.. For a 12 Gauge, like Heartbreaker said, the 500/590 is difficult to beat, and I wholeheartedly agree, the new Remingtons suck. Lastly, +1 more on the 10/22.

I failed to mention I live in New York and sadly the list of buyable semi auto rifles is slim. "Compliant" ARs are available., The minis (find me an M1A with no muzzle device...I wish). I know about the accuracy issue, and honestly it is the classic look of it that calls to me. An m1 carbine, but I don't think I'm interested in the caliber. Not really in a hurry to spend much more than a grand I suppose. I've considered a 10/22 and will get one at some point, but I thought maybe a bolt action would be better for the kids to start on. Maybe not?

Wellll, you did ask, but it's a wee bit over what you wanted to spend...

http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-1.aspx

As far as a semi auto .22, I would say just single feed until you're comfortable giving them semi-auto. The 10/22 is very difficult to beat. It's accurate, not too expensive, and the aftermarket support is through the roof.

Definitely would choose the Mini for NY. They've butchered the AR-15 into something that looks like it belongs in a Dr. Seuss book.

• Like 1

A political=romantic (?) solution would be not to buy a new gun, but instead ask her what she would like to specially do with you. Perhaps a mini vacation? A short ocean cruise? Might pay dividends down the road in your relationship? Might not either.

Haha thank you for the advice. Getting married in August, so vacation can wait until the honeymoon. She's shown some interest in shooting so maybe I'll get something "for her".

A political=romantic (?) solution would be not to buy a new gun, but instead ask her what she would like to specially do with you. Perhaps a mini vacation? A short ocean cruise? Might pay dividends down the road in your relationship? Might not either.

Haha thank you for the advice. Getting married in August, so vacation can wait until the honeymoon. She's shown some interest in shooting so maybe I'll get something "for her".

Sounds like a really good idea, might I suggest a Ruger MK.III?

Sounds like a really good idea, might I suggest a Ruger MK.III?
You can suggest anything you want, but "shown some interest" and "Has a pistol permit" are vastly different concepts. ;) I was leaning more towards .223 for her.

(Don't have a pistol permit myself. Maybe I should do that.)

Edited by RedRhino
  • Like 1

For 12 gauge it's hard to beat a Mossberg 500 or 590. Better controls than the 870 and Remington quality has been nosediving. For 22lr, go with a Ruger 10/22. Cheap, durable, reliable and TONS of options and aftermarket. Mini 14/30s are nice (I have one) but an AR is nearly impossible to beat because of options and modularity. If it came down to a choice between the two I would go AR15.

I recently saw an 870 with a barrel that looked like something was drifting when the bore was machined. It was unbelievably fucked and it was  a brand new gun that was already out of warranty. Remington warranty (on 870s, at least) ends 1 year after manufacture (straight from Remington CS). Sits at Remington a few days or whatever, sits at distributor a while, sits at shop a while, you buy it 1 year and 1 day after manufacture and you are SOL. That shitbag warranty is great.... for Remington.

+1 for getting a Mossberg pump. Much better warranty.

• Like 3