Base Units run between $6,500 to $8,000 for low mileage/fuel injected. Some upto $10,000 year/mileage) Smaller/older carb units run less. All are 4x4. Heat, mine have AC. I don't like to get hot. About all options are available. Auto, most are 5 speed. Imported at 25mph, yet speed reducer is easily disabled by end user. Most dealers would charge around $10,000 or more for one like this. Did a lift, tires, bed liner, and camo wrap on this one. The deck van pictured are hard to come by. Seen a few go for over $15,000 did up like the one we did.

What is the make and model?

2001 Suzuki DA62T, Deck Van is 96 Diahatsu, remotored to fuel injection. Both have 660cc 3 cylinder. Carb units had around 500cc. Street tires, upto 70mph, UTV 45 is fast enough. 7 states allow to be tagged for highway (Non Federal)use.

The Navy base near my parents' place uses a ton of these things, used to see them putting around in town between some off-base contractor sites. I've always wanted to find out if they surplused them, never looked into it. 

They would be awesome for a small community where nobody gives a shit if you're licensed/registered.

Started out about a year ago to replace a "Mule" for doing chores and running around property. 1/3 to 1/2 the price with creature comfort of heat, ac was a bonus. Found a couple older pre 99" Carb units here and there, (cabs are smaller, no AC, very used up). State Park had gotten a couple post 98's for maintenance, so one thing led to another and we imported 6 in a container as a  group (family/friends) buy There are dealers here and there through out US. Couple who do serious mods and parts are easily obtained. When got them in, basic service, (good wholesale buyer/importer) were ready to go. Mod. as we go. Hobby that is useful for me, yet interest has aroused locally. Son might turn into a sideline business. We are in middle of America, many rural uses. Most areas treat as a UTV, drive anywhere except US Highway, 7 states allow, my area even allows in city limits with a slow moving vehicle triangle and flag.

Edited by Ruffian72

In the 70's I had a 360 Subaru van, and a sedan. ('72 model year was the last year they were legal to sell as a highway vehicle).

Their 2 cylinder 2 cycle engines went WINNNNNGGGG DINNNNNNG DIIINNNNG!

Those were a lot of fun during the "fuel shortages"!

Gas stations would only sell 5 gallons of gas - but the sedan had a 5 gallon tank, and the van only held 8!

Many fun memories!

Are they the Japanese domestic 600cc limited models?  Some smog law in Japan created these cool dinky vehicles?  When they reach a low total mileage the Japanese must either sell or crush them?  We are starting to see a few in SW OR USA.  They had Oregon license plates.  Some friends are putting the engines into dinky open wheel sports cars.  The engine is a piece of art.  Three cylinders, computer controlled.  The turbo looks so cool.  With adapters the engines bolts up to various trannies.  A very nice project indeed and thank you.

In the 70's I had a 360 Subaru van, and a sedan. ('72 model year was the last year they were legal to sell as a highway vehicle).

Their 2 cylinder 2 cycle engines went WINNNNNGGGG DINNNNNNG DIIINNNNG!

Those were a lot of fun during the "fuel shortages"!

Gas stations would only sell 5 gallons of gas - but the sedan had a 5 gallon tank, and the van only held 8!

Many fun memories!

I had that exact little van...till the tranny locked up we had a blast with it.

It was painted like the custom vans of the era minus the white fuzz interiorhaha.gif

• Like 1

Yes the 660cc 3 cylinder engine. Japan taxes the crud out of any vehicle after the 15 year mark. Many incentives to purchase new. Most have under 40,000 miles. Regular maintenance these regularly go 150,000+. Have an 03 Mitzi with only 4,200 miles. Doing it up after brother's 01 Suzuki dump bed. Diahatsu is the Toyota, Suzuki makes the Mazda. Many components are shared between manufactures

UW has a fleet of those, and a lot are electric. I've thought it would be pretty cool to have a more off-roady one with electric conversion and a windmill. Then you could tear around the property for free for the life of the batteries.