is the size of the kidney stone that lodged itself in my left ureter a week ago today.

I went to the ER where they gave me an IV bag of fluid, two doses of morphine and a dose of dilauded. That helped slightly, but I remained coherent so I consider that the drugs only took the edge off. Because on my history with stones, they decided that it would pass and didn't see any reason for imaging, They wrote me a couple prescriptions and referred my to my own Doc in 48 hrs.

Pain subsided and Monday was fine but I felt like I got kicked in the side.

Tuesday 7:00am crawled out of the bathroom and off to the Dr's for round two. Xrays, more drugs, straining urine... Dr. said she didn't see anything on the Xray and set me up with an appointment to a urologist. Sent home to pass the stone that no one saw into a strainer.

Tuesday night the pain subsided and Wednesday was fine but I felt like I'd been stomped.

Thursday 7:00 AM it woke me up. I did the things I needed to do, brought pellets in, put the garbage out, showered... At 11:00 I was at the ER again, They drugged me with high-test, did some imaging finally, said oh you poor guy a bunch of times and admitted me finally at 7:00 PM. About 10:00 the pain subsided again. 

Friday morning the Urologist saw me briefly to explain about the size of the stone, and about the procedure that I was scheduled for around mid-day. At about noon they brought me to the OR. Away went my consciousness. I awoke about an hour later with a stint in my ureter to allow urine to pass from the kidney to the bladder without pushing the stone and tearing anymore. I peed blood for the next three hours, along with a very strange sensation from the stint. About 7:00 pm I was told I could be released if I felt comfortable enough. There was a storm rolling in later and I didn't want my wife tho have to deal with snow to come get me on Saturday, so I got dressed and we left. 

Drugging yesterday and not yet today, but I haven't attempted to do anything except shower and shave.

I expect to find out tomorrow what day I'm scheduled to have the stone and stint removed so I "can enjoy the Holiday" as the Dr. said.

I'll also add that this is the worst possible way to spend two weeks scheduled vacation. I just keep dreaming of this instead...

post-23857-0-90292100-1482076741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I feel for ya man...  Best wishes for getting past this and it never happening again.

This is the forth time I've had stones. Diet has been adjusted each time to reduce calcium. I guess I'm just one that makes stones no matter what.

Edited by YOT

A coworker just lost her father to a monster stone.  He was in the nursing home after a major stroke that left him unable to speak and do much after.  He had a 1" stone tearing him up, and was totally unable to tell anyone about it!  He passed a few days after they found and removed it.

That really gives us all something to be thankful for.  I hope that made heaven all the sweeter for him!

• Like 1

That's horrifying!

I just found out my surgery will be on Friday to remove the stone. The stent will be staying in for healing time and will be removed in a third procedure. At least I'm planning on being home for Christmas.  

I have never had one either, but I had a friend that was always passing them and it didn't look like much fun. If you saw him he had a Pepsi in his hand, not matter where or what he as doing and never stopped drinking them. He had a glass jar with a bunch of stones rattling around in there like war trophies. I don't think he was in the 8mm club though. I hope you get past it and recover rapidly. Maybe some relief will be your Happy New Year.

Surgery went well today. There were two large stones instead of the one that I was told about. I was at the hospital at 6:30 am and got home around 2:00. Drugged and sore. At least I'm peeing without blood and pain. One more procedure in a couple weeks to remove the stent. This has been a vacation that I'll never forget.

• Like 2

Surgery went well today. There were two large stones instead of the one that I was told about. I was at the hospital at 6:30 am and got home around 2:00. Drugged and sore. At least I'm peeing without blood and pain. One more procedure in a couple weeks to remove the stent. This has been a vacation that I'll never forget.

I hope you heal well and fast, without any problems.

Prayers for you that this is your last episode.

Take it easy and have a joyous & Merry Christmas.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The stent was removed yesterday afternoon! Relief, at last! big_smile.gif  The burn and pain seem to be gone for the most part, but I'm still seeing immediate urgency without warning. I haven't pissed myself yet, but I'm keeping my shoes on in case the bathroom is occupied.  unhappy.gif