So I shot some good stuff finally, instead of just surplus.

6 Shot group of 1.15" (1.45" outside measurement)

3 shot group of 1.01"

3 shot group of 1.12"

Not bad for an AK. :)

UPDATED WITH PICTURE

The two 3-shot groups were on a paper target and i can't find them... I'm sure the 6shot target will suffice though.

Also, I mistakenly had the scope at 3x power instead of 9x when I shot that group at 100yrds.... I wondered why it was so hard to see the Black 1.5" center diamond :unsure:

post-6947-1225084266_thumb.jpg

Edited by SaigaNoobie
Wouldn't that measurement be from the outside of the round in the lower left to the outside of the round in the upper right? Bit bigger than 1.5" but still pretty darn nice for an AK if it was at 100 yards!

Group size is measured from center to center. You are trying to measure the rifle's precision, independent of caliber size.

Wouldn't that measurement be from the outside of the round in the lower left to the outside of the round in the upper right? Bit bigger than 1.5" but still pretty darn nice for an AK if it was at 100 yards!

Group size is measured from center to center. You are trying to measure the rifle's precision, independent of caliber size.

Actually no. When you measure a group you measure the two most distant shots. Those aren't the two most distant shots. I really shouldn't have measured the outside of the holes, I was just pointing out he's measuring the distance between the wrong set of holes...

Edited by Glocker

Is there any specific weight that the Saiga .308 is supposed to use? I know the PSL was designed with ~150 grain in mind, seeing as these 2 rifles are similar, I am curious as to if you go to heavy it would "batter" the rifle. Of course I may be way off base here, just throwing it out there. I wonder what the guys at Izhmash would recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night i shot a 5 shot group of 175gr Federal Gold Match. 3 of the shots look like 1 hole. then 2 are a little outside. I'll post pics later tonight of my groups.

Also did a 3 shot group with the 175gr at 50yrds using irons. very respectable.

Taking it hunting next week. Watchout Bambi!

Are these hand loads or store bought?

OK... answered my own question, Federal Gold Medal Match are sold as complete rounds.

I'd still be intersted to know if anyone has any pet handloads?

Noobie, are there any mods to your trigger? or is it the standard one.

Hans

Edited by ccmano
  • 2 weeks later...

LOLOL

No, not hunt with them. I used Winchester Softpoints for hunting. Pretty massive wound-channel and hit right where I aimed! Exit hole was about 3" accross at a rib. Barely missed the heart. The doe didn't last long without lungs. :smoke:

And sorry about the delay on the posting of the 175gr pic. We were shooting my rifle and my buddy's tikka at the same targets but at different points. And now I can't figure out which target I was talking about so I'm hesitant to post. The pic. :unsure:

Three Shot Group:

Measures under 1/2" :wub:

post-6947-1228779643_thumb.jpg

Which then opened up to a little over an inch and a quarter with the 4th and 5th shot :rolleyes:

post-6947-1228779658_thumb.jpg

And yes, those were shot in that order.

Edited by SaigaNoobie
  • 2 months later...
Three Shot Group:

Which then opened up to a little over an inch and a quarter with the 4th and 5th shot :rolleyes:

nice shooting.

pete

What did you do to this gun again? I've only seen one Saiga .308 in operation since I've been looking for one and it was not this accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
Three Shot Group:

nice shooting.

pete

What did you do to this gun again? I've only seen one Saiga .308 in operation since I've been looking for one and it was not this accurate.

I must know your secrets. How are you doing this?