Cobra Sights!!!

If you are planning on buying a Cobra sight you should know this!

There are 2 generations of Cobra Sights as of right now...

There are 4 shapes of the "red dot" - this feature is the same on all of them!

Cobra.gif

EKP-1S-03 is the 1st generation, EKP-1S-03M is 1st generation - improved - the only difference between them is that the improved version has a guard rail raised around the ON/OFF button so you would not hurt it if you put your rifle on the side... (I have a the one on the top myself - I can see how this guard would help!!!)

EKP-1S-03

kobra002.jpg

EKP-1S-03M

x03M_02.JPG

The price for the 1st generation should be $120

But you really should get a 2nd generation - you can see how different thay are - the BIGGEEST thing that you cannot see on the picture is that it has slightly raised optics so the adjastment wheel in the back is not in the way... (it is in the way on the first generation, covering about 1/8 of the view when you aim...) It is not that bigger deal, but why spend money on the "old" staff when you can buy new and improved for almost the same price!?!?! (I would agree though - I like the looks of the 1st gereration a bit better....)

I should also add that all the buttons and an ON/OFF switch were moved from the left to the right side of the sight which makes it the ergonomics a lot better!

Here is the picture of the 2nd generation EKP-8-02

EKP-8-02.jpg

This is the picture of the latest model - EKP-8-02M - that has a plastic glare protection hood! (this is the improved 2nd generation)

ekp-8MX01.JPG

I have purchased my second generation from Tantal, for $155 (shipped) (that was in December 2002 so check the price with him I'm sure it is a bit less now) http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/ - these guys are absolutely great and amazing- they actually shipped my sight within 12 hours from the time of the order!!! Send them an email - they'll set ya up!!!

:P

i second that!doug is the best when it comes to service and prices.

have delt with him several times,he's the first person i check with when i need something.

his website is very well done also,with tons of great info.

highly recommend!!!!!

oh,btw......my saiga12 got here the other day.i just got her cleaned up last night and all back together.

came in cardboard box with oil bottle,tool kit,cleaning rod,one clip,and manual.

eveything looked good,bolt was a little tricky to get back in.after a couple of times will probley get easier.

looks like someone sandstoned the serial number,is this from the factory?

question:will any ak rear stock work?and .........were are the good deals on clips?am i limited to 5 rounds?

i see that muzzel breaks and forward sights are all ready" out of stock" :cryss: (what were they going for?)

well,all for now till "we bond"

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Kobra is my 2nd fav sight for the AK & Saiga-12 (I'm now a PK-AS fan). I prefer the 'AA' version due to the integral mount and the use of 'AA' batteries (I have tons of rechargeable AA's laying around). If memory serves then the Kobra is one of only a few AK sights that can take the pounding of Saiga-12 recoil.

Tomac

PS- I've been doing business with Tantal/Doug for years, great guy and unequalled customer service!

• 1 month later...

I am just about to order one of these Kobra sights Please let me know how you all like them I don't mind spending the money I just want to hear some good things first. Please let me know the + and - of the system

how do you like it have you had any trouble with it?

:rolleyes: 

I must say that I have heard only good things about it.

I haven't had mine to the range yet. I was going to go today and try it out on my new S12 but i've got a cough so bad i probably wouldn't be able to sight it in. :(

My initial impression, compared to my aimpoints, is that it is a well built sight with some interesting features like selectable reticle. It seems fine for bright sunlight and tends to flare out a bit with the higher intensity settings but this would not be a problem in the sort of conditions where you would use those settings. The bulge at the rear seems a bit distracting to me but doubt i would notice it if i was in combat. The sight sits so high on my AK that i can't get any kind of check weld with it though not high enough that i could revert to the irons if it crapped out. The on/off switch is a terrible design hard to turn on and off and about impossible to use wearing gloves.

I want to try out the different reticles to see if they result in a change of zero.

As a combat sight it doesn't compare favorably with the aimpoint due to its poor FOV, lack of BUIS capability and poor ergos of its power switch. I also wonder about light leakage and visibility on someones NVGs but since i don't have any i can't check that out.

I do like the sight though, i don't plan on using it on any social guns anyway and it looks good on my AK. I plan on really pounding it on my S12 and see if it holds zero etc though i expect it will.

Edited by curt
  • 1 month later...
Could someone post pics of Kobras mounted?

I didn't know about the hump in the way of the FOV...ugh

now i'm not sure which one? I want an authentic AK optic for this

That's why I went w/the PK-AS on my Saiga's & AKs: Unobstructed irons, doesn't need batteries for daytime use, decent cheekweld, very rugged & excellent dot/circle reticle for CQB or precision aiming.

Tomac

Saiga-12002s.jpg

Reticle pic courtesy of Simo from Finland

PKAS-retik.jpg

I think he means you can see under the PK-AS.

I have the Kobra, but look at how far back it sits compared to the PK-AS. I'm pretty sure that one day it will smack me in the nose unless I get to a Nato length stock.

Well constructed optic, not a cheapie dot. So yeah, well worth the price, worth even more IMO.

Well...I hope these Kobra's are good-shit. I just got one for 170.00 shipped.

model EKP-1S-03M..the newest revision of Gen1....AA batteries kinda sold me. Now I have AA optics all around. Kobras for Saiga 12/Saiga 7.62. And Eotechs for M4, and FN Shotgun.

I'll post when I get it Monday.

Got it from FreedomOptics.com

Not half bad.

Hrmm...not a true co-witness, but I think I like that even better. Is it actually kind of offset?

Didn't someone post a pic of a tubless red-dot sight that actually co-witnessed the AK sight set? It was a really weird design with optical glass that wasn't fully encircled by the steel.

How's battery life on the PK and Kobra series?