Don't know if anyone on the forum even gives a flip but:

On the last Space Shuttle mission, to refurbish the Hubble Space Telescope, one of the cameras on the SRBs carried a sound recorder that recorded all the sound of the launch and subsequent fall of the booster all the way down to the water.

It was sort of a weird sounding thing..hissing, the occasional moan, creaks, and low, low, basso of that huge open at one end organ pipe as it tumbled slowly end over end in its dive home. The explosive sound of the chutes deploying could be heard and the chutes could be seen ending the tumbling, as well as the water encompassing the whole thing at the end.

I can see the shuttle go off from my house, even from the other coast of Florida. Its going off again at 5:40am tomorrow, so I might have to get my ass up early and go over to the lake to watch it. Definately want to check it out up close and personal before they stop flying it.

There is something about actually seeing the most complex machine in the world go off, that gives you a really powerful and proud feeling to be an American.....

And by the way, I am told by a guy with a wireless receiver that has lived here a long time, that he actually heard them screaming after the challenger blew up, before they hit the water and were killed......and someone else was trying to say the lord's prayer as well......just a little unknown fact for ya'll....

You gotta have something special in you to ride that sucker, thats for sure....

I can see the shuttle go off from my house, even from the other coast of Florida. Its going off again at 5:40am tomorrow, so I might have to get my ass up early and go over to the lake to watch it. Definately want to check it out up close and personal before they stop flying it.

There is something about actually seeing the most complex machine in the world go off, that gives you a really powerful and proud feeling to be an American.....

And by the way, I am told by a guy with a wireless receiver that has lived here a long time, that he actually heard them screaming after the challenger blew up, before they hit the water and were killed......and someone else was trying to say the lord's prayer as well......just a little unknown fact for ya'll....

You gotta have something special in you to ride that sucker, thats for sure....

Very proud, sad to think they have no real plans to continue the program, besides pay the Russians to ride their rockets... Sad :blink:

But then again, we probably won't be able to afford that by the time this Administration/Government gets done trashing our economy.

I remember as a kid in like 3rd grade, watching the glide tests being done off the back of Jumbo Jet.

Been watching the shuttles go up and down for a long time now.

I have a couple friends that have their pics taken in freefall with the shuttle going up behind them... Very cool!

There is not one Astronaut that would not have taken that ride the very next day after the Challenger disaster.

I know I would have... In a heartbeat, not a second thought... Light the fuse!

man....

Endeavour Liftoff Scrubbed; Briefing is Planned

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:20 AM

Space shuttle Endeavour's STS-127 launch today was officially scrubbed at 1:55 a.m. EDT when the same type of gaseous hydrogen leak at the Ground Umbilical Carrier Plate occurred. This is the same location where a similar leak resulted in a launch scrub on June 13. Vent valve troubleshooting took place for about an hour before it became clear the problem could not be solved.

Endeavour's next launch attempt for its STS-127 mission is targeted for July 11 at 7:39 p.m. EDT.

There will be a briefing on NASA TV no earlier than 3:30 a.m. EDT with Deputy Space Shuttle Program Manager LeRoy Cain and Shuttle Launch Director Mike Leinbach. Watch it live at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

-----------

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:03 AM

Space shuttle Endeavour's STS-127 launch today was officially scrubbed at 1:55 a.m. EDT when the same type of gaseous hydrogen leak was detected at the Ground Umbilical Carrier Plate, or GUCP. This is the same location where a similar leak resulted in a launch scrub on June 13.

"We're going to step back and figure out what the problem is and go fix it," said Deputy Space Shuttle Program Manager LeRoy Cain during a briefing afterward. "Once we get it fixed and we're confident that we have a solution that's going to work and allow us to go fly safely, then we'll proceed forward."

Teams followed the same repair method as they did for the GUCP leak encountered during the STS-119 countdown. The STS-119 and STS-127 leaks will both be evaluated in order to determine the cause. Data collected during fueling is expected to help the troubleshooting effort.

Endeavour's next launch attempt for its STS-127 mission is targeted for July 11 at 7:39 p.m. EDT.

I thought this thread was going to ne about SBR's. <_<

<Apparently can't read.

I came on to see what a SRBs was.

Saw 2 or 3 shuttle launches. The one I remember the most was at night. The shuttle started the launch and you could see the orange flame, then slow seconds later it started to lift off. You could just barely make out the shuttle on top of a huge flame. It was going up and up then it entered the clouds and everybody kind of ah shitted, about 3 seconds later it made it though the clouds and lite up the whole sky, it looked awesome!

Going to be down there for the 7/11 launch date...hope i can catch it.....must load up the iPod with Rush's "Countdown" to listen to seconds before launch.

sweet....never seen a shuttle launch!...thank you hydrogen leak!