Anyone ever use Brownells Gunkote bake on finish? I have some questions about it. The catalog says its

as easy as wiping your ass, and then I get the can, and its covered with warnings about lead.

So I used it last night, and I had a full face resporater,plastic apron, chem resistant gloves. I threw it in a

convection/toaster oven,because I was'nt gonna put that shit in my regular oven. The temp kept fluctuating,

but I think it held at about 300 degrees. It says minimum 300, and max 325.

I'm just wondering how you know its cured properly? The can says if you scrape it off, it will release toxic lead into the air.

So I'm not putting the bolt back in until I know its cured.

Thanks

GB

i used brownell's baking lacquer matte black.

they say it can be applied right on top of the old finish/bluing without stripping or blasting.

i stripped the blueing and applied and baked.

came out wonderful and seems to be pretty damn tough.

i tried scratching with my thumbnail and it didn't phase it.

not stupid enough to put a knife blade to it.

believe it was about $18 shipped for a can.

I did'nt blast it first, so the shit just flakes off. It looks really cool though. I will do it again.

Fuck those Californians :ded::devil:

It needs to contact the metal.

You have to preheat it to 100 degrees to open up the metal, then you spray it.

I've used it on magazines.

Perhaps you did not "Shake well"?

It's all in the prep work. I blast all my stuff w/silica sand at 55psi, then clean with MEK just prior to painting.

Usually hang stuff under my halogen shop lights for a few minutes while painting (keeps the temp up and gives you plenty of light. As a side note, all I use any more is Molyresin-great stuff. I just painted an Enfield with it yesterday and it looks great. I usually spray my AK stuff w/ semi gloss, this time I mixed 2 parts semi gloss to 1 part gloss black and it really turned out great. I'd like to contact Norrells and see if they'll sell it that way as it makes for a blacker black than the semi without being too shiny. If you have any doubts about curing, cook it longer to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

It chipped off in a couple of contact areas, do you think I should shoot the gun? Or strip it off and try again?

I'm a health nut, so Im wondering about lead flakes. Although I have eaten a sandwich after loading

butler creek mags with cheap ammo all day :lolol: Lead fingers :unsure:

I came home today and my evolution 10/22 stock was sitting on my porch,so I threw it all together.

The bolt carrier does'nt seem to be scraping it off, so I'll see how it goes.

I'll post pics of it in another section. Its the sweetest 22 stock out there, besides the Rhineland arms.

I used the KG gunkote on my S-410 and it turned pretty good. A little too glossy for me. I didn't sand/bead blast, but I did sand with 220 and used MEK to clean up before spraying. Holds very good with no flaking.

As for the lead warnings, don't eat the chips...