Flechette Ammo

I have about 2 lbs of flechette spicks. Can anyone confirm if it is legal to produce this ammo? Also does it hurt your barrel, being that they are steel? How much powder should I use? Any info from someone experienced would be greatly apperciated.

I have about 2 lbs of flechette spicks. Can anyone confirm if it is legal to produce this ammo? Also does it hurt your barrel, being that they are steel? How much powder should I use? Any info from someone experienced would be greatly apperciated.

They are sold commercially by Firequest.com. Perhaps you could get a round and back-engineer it re: charge and other construction details.

Make sure you have the long flechette's. The short one's are used in beehive rounds and do not stabilize well in a shot gun load.

A friend of mine bought some "beehive" flechette shotgun rounds a few years ago and we took them to the range the next weekend. We put up a large sheet of paper to pattern the loads just like birdshot and almost half of the flechettes keyholed or were bent hitting the paper. The pattern was not real tight and needless to say, we were not impressed.

RonSwin

Make sure you have the long flechette's. The short one's are used in beehive rounds and do not stabilize well in a shot gun load.

A friend of mine bought some "beehive" flechette shotgun rounds a few years ago and we took them to the range the next weekend. We put up a large sheet of paper to pattern the loads just like birdshot and almost half of the flechettes keyholed or were bent hitting the paper. The pattern was not real tight and needless to say, we were not impressed.

RonSwin

I have about 2 lbs of flechette spicks. Can anyone confirm if it is legal to produce this ammo? Also does it hurt your barrel, being that they are steel? How much powder should I use? Any info from someone experienced would greatly apperciated.

are these mexican?

Now..Now..let's be politically correct here!!!...those are "UN-documented" flechettes!!!!

heh-heh!..Sorry..couldn't resist!!... :killer::lolol:

Edited by StarLynx

and my loathing for illegal labor taking work and obviously money from me prevents me from censoring that comment.

anyway, I have been looking into producing an extremely powerful AP 12 gauge slug loading to sell (yes, itd be a few or more bucks a shot), and I have found many many laws concerning exotic ammo and other types of rounds that would especially apply to things like flechette rounds and such. you really really need to check into where you can SELL them, and if your home state and even county/town/city allows such types of ammo.

a great place to start looking is at the various exotic ammo sellers' website's conditions and where they wont ship to. I wouldnt use that as the word of god or anything, but its a good place to start.

flechettes are hardened steel. they will wear your barrel over time. GOB had it right, no choke, plastic shot cup.

Thanks for everones advise and I'll take more if you have it.

If memory serves me correctly (damn alchohol abuse), you have to load flechettes alternately (i.e. one of them point forward (facing towards the muzzle), the next one next to it fin forward) in the shotcup to get the best patterning out of them. If I remember (part deux) also, the buffer (a felt wad at the bottom of the shotcup) was important too in guarunteeing a halfway decent flechette pattern. :killer:

But maybe I'm thinking about loading the short flechettes here. :unsure:

RonSwin

RonSwin

I had the same experience RonSwin, had some and wanted to test them, so I set up a large sheet of cardboard with a sheet of plywood a few feet farther back. The pattern sucked, about half keyholed, quite a few were bent, and if memory serves, only one or two stuck in the plywood point first, which I attribute to the point just being in the right place during the tumble.

My guess is at most you would create a horrific flesh wound. (keyholed flechete, ouch!)

PS--the range sucked too, not enough weight/velocity.

I though about loading up some hot loads of them, just never got around to it/lost interest.