7.62x39 accuracy

I know that ak rifles are not accurate rifles..but what about the 7.62x39 ammo ?

Is an accurate design ?

If I reload.... It can be used in target shooting ?(I see a sako 75 bolt action in 7.62x39 at the gunshop ..the sako is a oustanding shooter..what do you think about the caliber )

I know that ak rifles are not accurate rifles..but what about the 7.62x39 ammo ?

Is an accurate design ?

If I reload.... It can be used in target shooting ?(I see a sako 75 bolt action in 7.62x39 at the gunshop ..the sako is a oustanding shooter..what do you think about the caliber )

i think that the saiga is a quite accurate weapon, and the 762x39 is an accurate round. What makes the biggest difference of all is the shooter.

with my saiga x39, with 5 shot groups, i can shoot MOA-ish about 3 of 5 times. Usually closer to 1.5 or 1.75 MOA using barnaul FMJ. i think to say that the AK is not an accurate rifle is a bit of a unfair. While many AKs are quite old, with worn out barrels, that can dramatically affect accuracy. But a NEW one can be very accurate at ranges it was intended for

I am a HUGE fan of the 762x39 round. I have all but neglected my 308 and 3006 rifles since i have gotten it. As long as you can respect the limits of what the round was designed to do, you will be very pleased!

Edited by hoop762
As long as you can respect the limits of what the round was designed to do, you will be very pleased!

That is EXACTLY the way to put it!! Well said...

Compare the size of the overall rounds... X39, .308, '06... and just think for a moment... same size bullet... less powder as you go down in case size... less power downrange...

The x39 has a very close range/power factor to the 30-30... figure on utilizing it under similar circumstances in which you would use a 30-30...

Brush gun for deer hunting, camp carbine, etc..etc... it will never let you down as long as you arent asking it to do more than it is designed to do.

:smoke:

well this is a very subjective topic, but i would say if you do a simple trajectory, b.c. and s.d. comparison, you would have to say that no, it is not an accurate round. but that does not mean it can not be a pretty accurate round out to 200 yds, with a very good rifle, or a rifle with a very good bbl. I have a cz 527 am carbine with the short 16 in bbl. it shoots sub moa with some of the crappiest rounds out there. I also have a short bbl saiga, that i shoot open sites at 100 yards, shooting at 2 inch shoot n see targets. I do hit them , not every time, but that tells me that with open sites, it will regularly do 2 inches at 100 yards. the most accurate rounds are allways between 6 and 7 mm with high s.d. and b.c. factors. If i remember right, the most accurate round out there right now at the competitions under 600 yds , is the 6mm ppc , which is this round, necked down to 6mm, bullet weight is about the same as the 762 round , so it is very long, like a spear. Also a winning standard round is the 6.5 swede. The most acc winning long range round out there right now is the 6.5 284, which is a long cartridge 6.5 round, i think they got it by necking down the old 284 round, whick was a big case, but put the 6.5 bullet in it.

I think the 7,62x39 can hold its own up to deer sized game if its used for hunting within its 125yd range depending on what bullet weight your using too. With the affordable ammo and gun prices its a win/win situation for any shooter/hunter/collector too. The 7,62x39 does have its limitations power wise too its on the lower side of the 30-30 round.

I don't know why so many pass up the 7,62x39 caliber to this day. Its a great small round.

The 30-30 sure does have some reputation too its probably taken more deer than all the other calibers added up its that popular. Everyone has either had a 30-30 for a first gun or they even still use it to this day too. I know the 30-30 has been popular for blackbears too. If we look at caliber popularity the 30-30 has to be number 1, with the 30-06 and 308 tied for second and probably the 35rem is 3rd.

Hi all

I have found the 7.62x39mm to be quite an accurate little round and it has a place in my heart alongside 7.62x54r as some of my favourite callibres, it is best homeloaded (what ammo isnt?) and i have been using cheap military surplus bullets and been able to group 3 shots inside a 20mm circle at 50m scoped.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kalashnikov/i...ng/IMAG0003.JPG

bearing in mind that these are cheapie bullets thats good, i have used my loads at up to 400m with good results (easy to hit fig 11 target every time aiming centre mass). Lets not froget that 6mmppc and 22 ppc used the 7.62x39mm as a donor case and nobody doubts the accuracy of these rounds!

all the best

assassin

• 1 month later...

The 7.62x39 is not generally considered an accurate round. The problem is the guns made for it vary in quality. I had some Chinese AKs that would only shoot about 7 inch groups at 100 yards. The manual said expected accuracy would be 7 inches so that was what it was designed for. The SKS was more accurate at about 3 inches. I had one without the chrome barrel and it shot into 2 inches or less. Theres also a big difference in ammo. I never loaded ammo for the x39 but most guns will respond to carefull tuning of a load for it. In a bolt gun all reports that I have seen show excellent accuracy. The only problem now is that the cheap ammo is gone. Hopefully it will return. If you want a short range deer gun then the Sako would be ok. With the price of reloading components going up, it might be a good way to go.

7.62x39 was designed as a military combat round and don't think target shooting was ever in the mind of the designers. The SKS and AK's were designed more with reliability under combat conditions and low cost of production as primary factors. Sighted in properly and aimed at center of body mass they will hit the targeted individual somewhere out to maybe a couple of hundred yards reliably. They are good bone crunchers. Hand loads in a bolt action can give pretty good accuracy out to 125 yards or so but can't compare to the accuracy of the 223 which can put 5 rounds inside a 25 cent piece sized dot at 100 yards.

It makes a fine hunting round.

Like a shotgun don't plan on winning shooting competitions, but inside of 100 yards you should have a dead deer if you do your part. I know many people that claim to get deer with a SKS every year, yet their neighbor can not get one with a 1000.00 rifle and 10.00 each for bullets.

If you are shooting while jumping all over what the heck is the point of buying anything more than a bb gun? If you aim you should be more than able to whack a deer inside 100 yards every time

The question is about accuracy. The 7.62x39 is the basis for the PPC cartridges which are benchrest rounds. That says it all really.

I have a CZ 527 Carbine chambered for this cartridge and it is plenty accurate- I got 1.5", 3-shot, 100 yard groups on the first try of reloading Winchester brass and using .311" 150 grain Sierra spire points.

Besides a fun gun to shoot, I bought this with the intention of having my youngest son use it for whitetail hunting - the load sent the 150 grain bullet out at 2,100 fps - plenty for 150 yards or closer and the light weight and short pull of the CZ is perfect for him, not to mention the light recoil.

I mounted a nice compact 2-7x Nikon on it with Leupold rings and it's a sweety.

I'd post a pic but guns.net is down at the moment and that's were the pic is...

Ah - found their web site - here's what they look like:

main015.png

Mine looks almost identical to this - only with the compact Nikon as mentioned. Oh, and these have single-set triggers and come with integral scope mounts - the rings clamp onto the receiver - similar to Ruger's MkII.

Rangerruck, IMHO if you want a duel or multipurpose rifle then that Sako would be a honey, or look for the CZ - and yes, you can target shoot with it ;)

Edited by O.S.O.K.

yeah, i've got the cz in x39 as well, it is a one hole punch. So that Sako is probably very good as well. If you get ammo for it , dont get American made, as it is probably 310 dia bullet, which will hurt your accuracy, especially since the sako is a European rifle. All the foreign milsurp stuff, plus wolf, jsc, Barnaul, monarch, whatever name you find it under, shoudl be 311 dia, which works fine.

Origionally , I think old Kal was designing his ak for the old german 8x33 round, and had completed several test models for it , when big commy bro said "you design for theese round!" so he made the minor mods. So as you can see, the ak,nor the round was ever meant to be accurate. they were expecting their future wars to be fought , after their experiences in taking Berlin and what happened in Stalingrad.

• 3 weeks later...

<steps up to the podium>

[lecture]

When it comes to accuracy in shooting, there are three main factors which affect the outcome. The quality of the ammunition is first. The quality of the rifle is second. The quality of the shooter is third. I have no basis for speculating on the quality of the shooter. A Sako rifle should prove to be of high quality. That leaves us with ammunition.

Of the factors that affect the inherent accuracy of a given batch of ammunition, none is as important as the quality of the bullet. The powder charge can differ by two-tenths of a grain without a noticable affect on velocity. Likewise, the cases and the primers can vary as well. Of these, only the bullet goes down range. Therefore, it must be made in a manner that ensures concentricity, even weight distribution, and minimal variance in overall weight/shape.

The primary reason for inaccuracy among rifles chambered for 7.62x39 is a lack of quality ammunition. Even a qualified shooter, with a quality rifle, will shoot poorly with bad ammunition. This was the case with my first Saiga 7.62x39. It would spray a one foot circular pattern at 50 yards... with chinese surplus ammo. Next, we tried some quality Winchester ammo. The pattern tightened to one inch at fifty yards.

I've seen the same pattern repeat with other rifles, handguns, and shotguns. The conclusion to be reached is that given quality ammunition, and skill on the part of the shooter, a quality bolt action chambered for 7.62x39 should be very accurate... even out to 200 yards on deer.[/lecture]

<steps down from podium>

Edited by Tokageko
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got an AR in 7.62X39 - a Model 1 Sales kit built up on a RRA lower. Feeding the thing Lapua ammo (hard to get anymore) and shooting off a rest, this little beast will CONSISTENTLY print groups that at just over 1" at 100 yds. Now, I don't carehow you slice it or dice it, that's accurate enough to keep most anyone happy! :D Best of all, as the little Com Blok round gains in popularity, I'd bet that a larger variety of higher quality components (bullets) will become available to the hand-loader. :up:

• 3 months later...

My RA verp k shoots 2'' goups with wolf at a 100'' and pmc brass 1'' or less. With 8 x 42 Russian glass. That is a good as 7.62 x 39 gets . but works just fine with me. I have no problems hiting a 2 x 3 plate at 550 yards. I would think the cz would be fine for deer at 100 yards. Ruger makes a m77 bolt gun in 7.62 x 39.

Edited by OKGUY91