compliance ? flame the newbie

after reading the bad idea thread i'm still confused.

i've ordered 3 of pvt. pyles mags and was wondering what, if any parts will i have to change to make my stock 308 (16" wood furniture) compliant?

one of the ranges i go to has a lot of .gov people show up every now and then and i don't want to get hassled if i bury one of them in empty brass.

flame suit on.. fire away.

You need between 4 and 6 US parts depending on the configuration of your rifle. If you leave it in sporter configuration you only need 4 parts total, (that is if you want to use the 20 round mags. If you stick with an 8 rounder you're fine). If you convert it to a pistol grip, then you need 5. If you convert to a pistol grip and add a flash suppressor then you need 6.

If you do convert it, it's very easy to remain in compliance however. You need a new stock, pistol grip and trigger group anyway when you do a conversion, so simply buy US made parts. There's 5 right there and if you add a flash suppressor, make sure it's also made in America. There's part number six. It's only dificult to comply with if you want to leave the gun in an otherwise stock configuration and use high cap mags.

i kinda want to leave it sporter. what's the best way to keep it that way and be legal?

if i have to convert it, what's the best way?

i don't want to make the gunsmith to rich, cause i'm not that handy with tools.

Just bouncing ideas, you could still change the piston, furniture and the trigger, not the whole trigger group but just the trigger itself. That would be four peices.

I'm sure others will chime in.

i kinda want to leave it sporter. what's the best way to keep it that way and be legal?

if i have to convert it, what's the best way?

i don't want to make the gunsmith to rich, cause i'm not that handy with tools.

You could replace the hammer and the piston pretty easily and cheaply and then use the aftermarket mags to count as the other two parts.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Sep 12 2006, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We only need to LOOSE two forign parts. That will get us down to "10 or fewer forign parts" when using USA mags. Gaspiston=1 part. The second one I am still researching to find the easiest/cheapest!

Buy a full FCG set, and just use the disconnector and hammer. 40 bucks and two parts.

If you are going to the trouble to change out fcg parts without converting then you can use the US "trigger" too. You just have to cut the actual trigger off the bottom and grind it flat like the one in your Saiga. I'm also not too keen on mixing fcg parts. The gas piston is a breeze to change out though.

The scope mount doesn't count BTW

If you are going to the trouble to change out fcg parts without converting then you can use the US "trigger" too. You just have to cut the actual trigger off the bottom and grind it flat like the one in your Saiga. I'm also not too keen on mixing fcg parts. The gas piston is a breeze to change out though.

The scope mount doesn't count BTW

The Saiga stock .308 trigger is different than the others.

Edited by headshot
:bag: Oops! Pardon me I'm so used to answering this same question all the time I forgot we were talking about the .308. I need to look at mine and see wtf is goin on in there before I offer any more pearls of wisdom ...lol.

an option would be a US made butt stock, like one from BRG3.

1 domestic made Stock (1 part) + 1 domestic made piston (1 part) + 1 domestic made mag (3 parts) = BATF NOT bending you over and making you take it up the a$$

correct???

Okay, here's my plan:

PG stock from Onepoint

Tapco SAW PG

Tapco Galil-style forend (maybe one from BRG3 in the furure)

FBMG mags (exclusively)

That work?

Can't fit the pistol grip on unless you do the retrofit and move the FCG forward....correct?

WARNING: FBMG mags come will be coming with Russian made followers. (Per his announcement in another thread.)

This means you'll need TWO additional parts if you remain in the sporter configuration. Tromix is offering US-made followers for $20 each; that's one part. A US-made gas piston is probably the best choice for the second part.

If your going to be convering to the PG configuration, you would need 5 parts (six if you add an imported muzzle break or flash hider). Your best choices are: FCG (three parts, you'll need to purchase this anyway, so no reason not to go US-made), gas piston (cheap & easy), and the PG (also cheap and very easy). Alternatives parts would be a US-made buttstock.

You could using FBMG mags as compliance parts when converting to PG configuration -- but then you would find yourself short parts if you were use a factory mag in your rifle. Note: IMHO, you should not even own a factory mag if you use FBMG mags for compliance. However, others differ with my assessment.

Larry

Okay, here's my plan:

PG stock from Onepoint

Tapco SAW PG

Tapco Galil-style forend (maybe one from BRG3 in the furure)

FBMG mags (exclusively)

That work?

Can't fit the pistol grip on unless you do the retrofit and move the FCG forward....correct?

BRG3's forends do not require retrofitting.

Larry

I'm planning to put a wood Vepr stock and forearm on my .308 so I have another problem now. It is a thumbhole but I think that still qualifies as a PG doesn't it? Regardless it is Russian so I need to play the parts game. If it does count as a stock AND PG then I should be ok right? I have seen this thumbhole issue debated to death and still I'm not sure what the real deal is. I plan on doing the FCG and a piston swap but that's only 4. What else can I change in order to use any of my mags including but not limited to the new 20 rdr?

If nothing else I guess I could easily make floorplates for all my mags, I don't have that many.

Thoughts? :unsure:

My thoughts on replaceable parts in a sporting configuration Saiga 308, not including the magazine:

- Buttstock (1)

- Forearm (1)

- Gas piston (1)

- Hammer (1)

- Disconnector (1)

It's my understanding that the disconnector could be replaced (if I remember the innards of my 308 correctly) if one could remove the sleeve that normally holds it to the trigger (unlike on other ak's where only a pin is used). Does that sound correct?

Even without that, you'd still have four US made parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I tried to replace my gas piston on my .308 w/ a Tapco, couldn't get the damn thing off. Took the dimple things out w/ a Dremel and a carbide burr and chucked the piston in my bench vise. I was worried about breaking the handle off my bolt carrier I was having to twist it so hard. I moved it about a quarter-turn and gave up.

Think some heat would help? I'm concerned that the threads may already be galled, if that's the case I may be better off just leaving it alone.

The best,

Guido2 in Houston

guido I would try turning it back to where it started and do some more grinding on the dimples. You must not have gotten enough out and it's still binding. Last one I took out (on my X39) I chucked it in a leather pad in my vice and unscrewed the bolt carrier by hand. maybe try a drill bit the same size as the outer diam. of the dimples, that's what I did. Just drill right on thru into the piston.