Saiga vs mini-30 vs SKS

The Top Five Reasons why some people think the Mini 30 is a POS.

1. It doesn't have hi-cap mags so it is a POS.

2. Bill Ruger is a SOB which makes the Mini 30 a POS.

3. It should be an assault rifle but it isn't so it is a POS.

4. Someone on the internet said it was a POS so it is.

5. It is a POS which makes it a POS

:devil:

And Blenderwizard, don't take the kid comment personal unless of course it fits. :rolleyes:

Like I said, unless I kept the gas system spotless on my Mini 30, it jammed a lot.

That's why I sold it. I scrubbed the crap out of it (literally) and sold it. When I sold it, I hadn't shot it since I cleaned it, but the buyer contacted me after he shot it and said he loved it, so I guess all was well.

If it hadn't been so "dirty picky", and a little cheaper, I woulda kept it. But, the price I got for it got me 2 saigas (new), all shipping and transfer fees paid, and about $50 left over.

The Top Five Reasons why some people think the Mini 30 is a POS.

1. It doesn't have hi-cap mags so it is a POS.

2. Bill Ruger is a SOB which makes the Mini 30 a POS.

3. It should be an assault rifle but it isn't so it is a POS.

4. Someone on the internet said it was a POS so it is.

5. It is a POS which makes it a POS

:devil:

And Blenderwizard, don't take the kid comment personal unless of course it fits. :rolleyes:

Like I said, unless I kept the gas system spotless on my Mini 30, it jammed a lot.

That's why I sold it. I scrubbed the crap out of it (literally) and sold it. When I sold it, I hadn't shot it since I cleaned it, but the buyer contacted me after he shot it and said he loved it, so I guess all was well.

If it hadn't been so "dirty picky", and a little cheaper, I woulda kept it. But, the price I got for it got me 2 saigas (new), all shipping and transfer fees paid, and about $50 left over.

I will agree with you that the Saiga is a great rifle and certainly more bang for the buck than a Mini 30.

I've never had a problem with my Mini 30 so I reserve the right to like it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to comment on the A-team. I think that was one of the first shows that showed massive gunfits and carnage and no one ever got hurt. Look at what we watch know. You would think that B.A. would have figured out not to eat or drink before those long trips because he always woke up in a stupper in another country.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm new here but will give what i know. it all depends on what you do with it. the ak/saiga, and sks have a bored at .311" and all the cheep mill surpluss, import ammo comes in .311" or .310" in for these guns they are great to put a lot of lead down range. i love my saiga and sks for this. the mini 30 was made as a sport rifle to take small game from p-dogs to coyotes, to small deer, and was designed with a .308" bore to take advantage of the many types and better performance of .308" bullets. so if you had/have a mini 30 and its not acurate, you likely putting .311" through it . if you but .308" in your saiga it's not accurate a worth crap ether, so ak/sagia sks for cheep ammo and lots of meaningless shooting, and the mini 30 for hunting. hope this helps

i'm new here but will give what i know. it all depends on what you do with it. the ak/saiga, and sks have a bored at .311" and all the cheep mill surpluss, import ammo comes in .311" or .310" in for these guns they are great to put a lot of lead down range. i love my saiga and sks for this. the mini 30 was made as a sport rifle to take small game from p-dogs to coyotes, to small deer, and was designed with a .308" bore to take advantage of the many types and better performance of .308" bullets. so if you had/have a mini 30 and its not acurate, you likely putting .311" through it . if you but .308" in your saiga it's not accurate a worth crap ether, so ak/sagia sks for cheep ammo and lots of meaningless shooting, and the mini 30 for hunting. hope this helps

Nope, if your mini was made after ~1998, it has a .311 bore. I got mine in 1999 or 2000, and I verified it with Ruger that mine had a .311 bore.

And my Mini 30 was no more accurate than any SKS in my safe.

• 2 weeks later...
Some of us might be mature enough to remember that the Mini 14 was used in a number of high profile shootings and mass killings in the 1980s. Gun companies, and Ruger in particular, were under assault by the press, anti-gunners and lawyers alike. If Bill Ruger threw one lamb to the wolves to save the flock, I am sure he did what he thought was right at the time.

What he thought was right?

Bill Ruger got on national television in an interview with Tom Brokaw and said, I quote:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."

"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."

"I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

Maybe your mature memory is becoming senile. Mines not. Bill Ruger can burn in hell, and I'll never own anything with that bastards name on it.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

A month or so back I posted a question comparing the Ruger Ranch Rifle to a Saiga 223 and figured in the interest of thoroughness I should do the same with the Mini-30 and the Saiga 7.62. And since the SKS shares some qualities I'll throw that in too.

How would you all compare the Mini-30 against the Saiga in terms of reliability, ruggedness and accuracy? Price is a slam dunk at the moment for the Saiga but it seems to be going up as well along with everything else.

Have any of you had both the Saiga 7.62 and a Mini-30 and how would compare and contrast the two? The uses would be 100yd dear gun hunting, plinking, home defense/zombie control and hopefully some hog/javelina hunting some day.

A Saiga(or just about any Kalashnikov for that matter) will last longer and have fewer jams/misfeeds than a whole case of Mini30s or even an SKS.

The Saiga is made on the improved AK100 series machinery built for the Russian Service Rifle competition and it was beat out by the AN94 design due to it's lightweight and recoiless operating system.

Old AKs that were Vietnam War captures which had already been through a war before ending up in US hands were tested to exceed 16,000 MRBS while our own weapons can't break the 4,000 mark.

The M249 SAW, SIG556 and a host of other world renowned super weapons are basically rehashed,pimped out AKs and the Saiga is among the most modern AKs available today.

Old AKs that were Vietnam War captures which had already been through a war before ending up in US hands were tested to exceed 16,000 MRBS while our own weapons can't break the 4,000 mark.

Pardon my lack of gun knowledge...what does the MRBS stand for?

Pardon my lack of gun knowledge...what does the MRBS stand for?

Mean Rounds Between Stoppage,the Mini-30 probably operates in the 2,000-3,000MRBS range is it's anything like an AC556 while some have commented that the more modern AK variants could be pushing 30,000rds between stoppages