Looking at purchasing a SKS Is there any that are notoroius for being troublesome?? I am sure there is but I do not know which ones are. Also how the hell do you really get the grease out of them I often hear people complain is there any home remedies that work well? Carb cleaner??

I recommend doing some reading up on SKSs on a website devoted to them. They are all different in their own ways. Russian ones are very nice. Yugos have grenade launching ability. Chinese have their own ups and downs. Check the tech section for an SKS link I posted in there...

I recommend doing some reading up on SKSs on a website devoted to them. They are all different in their own ways. Russian ones are very nice. Yugos have grenade launching ability. Chinese have their own ups and downs. Check the tech section for an SKS link I posted in there...

The Link must not have stuck could you try that again?

The Link must not have stuck could you try that again?

Disregard

I'd steer clear of Yugo's, especially the 59/66. I mean, after the "cool" factor of the grenade launcher wears off, you realize you have another~1 lb of metal mounted to the end of the rifle. Plus, every one I know who has had a 59/66 has had trouble with the gas valve.

Also, none of the Yugos have chrome lined barrels, while every other SKS does. Many people will say "you don't need it.... blah blah blah." If you don't need it, then why do all of the other one have a chrome lining.

I now own 5 Chinese SKS's (including 1 M), and 1 1954 Tula (Russian). Aside from the M, which is considerably rougher in the fit and finish department, I will say the other 4 Chinese are every bit as nice as my Russian, withe the stocks, of course, being subject to opinion, as a lot of people do not like the type of wood they were made from.

As far as price, Yugis, generally are ~$150+ for an excellent grade one, but I have not paid more than $185 for any of my standard Chinese. However, you've gotta keep your eyes open. SKS's are getting harder and harder to come by.

In other words, if you can find and afford a Russian in good shape, I'd get that. Short of that, however, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Chinese.

I would not, personally, buy a Yugo

I'd steer clear of Yugo's, especially the 59/66. I mean, after the "cool" factor of the grenade launcher wears off, you realize you have another~1 lb of metal mounted to the end of the rifle. Plus, every one I know who has had a 59/66 has had trouble with the gas valve.

Also, none of the Yugos have chrome lined barrels, while every other SKS does. Many people will say "you don't need it.... blah blah blah." If you don't need it, then why do all of the other one have a chrome lining.

I now own 5 Chinese SKS's (including 1 M), and 1 1954 Tula (Russian). Aside from the M, which is considerably rougher in the fit and finish department, I will say the other 4 Chinese are every bit as nice as my Russian, withe the stocks, of course, being subject to opinion, as a lot of people do not like the type of wood they were made from.

As far as price, Yugis, generally are ~$150+ for an excellent grade one, but I have not paid more than $185 for any of my standard Chinese. However, you've gotta keep your eyes open. SKS's are getting harder and harder to come by.

In other words, if you can find and afford a Russian in good shape, I'd get that. Short of that, however, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Chinese.

I would not, personally, buy a Yugo

Yugo bad all other better got it!! Thanks allot thats what I needed to know!! I just couldnt remember what country had the POS

I have a Yugo 59/66, it is not a bad rifle. But it does weigh more and is longer, and the gas valve needs to be cleaned like the barrel or it will rust solid and then rust shut. Mine is all nice and shiny on the inside and has a nice barrel, I want to send my trigger group off to be tuned to 4-6lbs as the rifle shoots nice except for the trigger pull.

I have not played around with the other SKS rifles out there so all I know is the yugo. I did put 400+ rounds through it last summer.

Edited by csspecs

My yugo is shiny inside and out, performs FLAWLESSLY... and shoots like a dream...

I actually *DO* launch grenades with the launcher ( well, ok... grenade adapters) ... so I have the extra coolness factor...

I have no complaints about MY yugo... and in fact would buy a half dozen more if I could get them in the condition mine is in...

:smoke:

They are all great rifles and go well with AKs

Yugo type is not that bad, just been in service longer. You don't need the chrome bore if your not shooting corrossive and know how to clean. They are the best buy right now. If you go with a shooter grade you may get one with a pitted barrel and worn gas valve. Not a big deal for plinking at 100yrds or closer, the gas valve problems can be fixed with a replacement for $11 I think or like I did with one a paper clip spacer to take up space. The yugos also sometimes have carved stocks (cool history)

sks boards check this forum for alot more on the sks

I love my Chinese type 56 I got back in 94'. It's a great shooter and the finish is awesome. Spike bayo and chinese ammo belt included from Roses...lol for $149 I think it was. :lol: It came with a 20 rd factory "fixed" mag so that's twice what most have. BTW I think it was lemon oil I used to wipe it down originally. Got my 1st AK, the Egyptian Maadi from the same dept. store...lol. Those were the days. The Tula 53' I got from a buddy is still my favorite. Machined parts, killer finish...the best. Came with black blade bayo. I still want a Yugo in laminate to complete my little collection...

If you can find chinese at good prices, that would be the way to go. Most shops though are carrying a yugo just due the fact that they can be gotten from distributers wholesale still. You will pay a preminum for a chinese if you are in part of the country they are in shorter supply, here in oklahoma they have been the same price or cheaper than yugos thus I only have one yugo that I got for a really good price, two chinese M's, a chinese paratrooper, two chinese standard sks's and one russian. The most I have paid is for the russian at a little over two hundred and the rest less than two and one of the chinese and the yugo for less than a hundred. so the deals are out there. You just have to look.

IMO, you can never have too many SKS's around, anyway.

So true my favorites change any time I think about them

Russian-beautiful laminated stock

Yugo 59/66 - brand new with logbook

Yugo 59/66- has serbian military carvings double headed eagle

Yugo 59- Croatian crest carved into stock, also a cross burned into it

Sino-soviet- great find on a rarer one

Albanian-the coolest looking of the group

Romanian-good clean rifle

Also, don't forget about the SKS-D or SKS-M They take AK47 Mags.

Cleaning cosmo: mild heat and lemon oil for the wood. Carb cleaner works well on the metal. BE SURE TO TAKE BOLT APART AND GET COSMO OUT OF FIRING PIN CHANNEL! Do this on every sks you buy even if it looks clean. cosmo can become like tar causing the free floating firing pin to stick forward and your sks can go full auto. I had this happen on my albanian.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 1 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 Clean the firingpin channel. You MUST remove the firingpin.

So, what is the best way to remove the firing pin retainer from the bolt on a SKS?

hamer and a punch with the bolt ontop of a piece of wood with a hold drilled for the retainer to fall in. Note on some extra cussing will be required as they can be tight as my ex-girlfriend. her problem was getting it in not out though.

Be sure you replace firing pin the same way, in some models it can stick out and cause a slam fire if not replaced right

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 1 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 Clean the firingpin channel. You MUST remove the firingpin.

So, what is the best way to remove the firing pin retainer from the bolt on a SKS?

hamer and a punch with the bolt ontop of a piece of wood with a hold drilled for the retainer to fall in. Note on some extra cussing will be required as they can be tight as my ex-girlfriend. her problem was getting it in not out though.

Be sure you replace firing pin the same way, in some models it can stick out and cause a slam fire if not replaced right

Hehe... beat you to it. I did it on top of a witer prush handle with a 3/8" hole drilled in it... worked perfectly.