Hello

I posted this in response to Deerollman's report of having his guns pinched out of his house, but thought I'd re-post it in it's own thread here...

As a person who finds his gun "assortment" (I would hesitate to call it a "collection") growing regularly, and disturbing reports such as Deerollman's, the subject of a gun safe just can not be avoided any longer. I'm certain there are many out there with much more knowledge and hands-on experience on this subject than I.

What should a safe purchaser look for? What is necessary, what is really not? Where should such a purchase be made? Any preferred brands, models, manufacturers? What type of locking mechanism, fire rating, capacity, etc. would a first-time gun safe purchaser look for? What would be a type of locking mechanism that would still permit rapid access if needed?

It doesn't take many recounts such as Deerollman's to bring me to my senses, that it could happen to anybody. Although I believe my doggers would

A) scare a burglar off, or;

B) maul a burglar,

I don't want to risk it. Plus, it would be the responsible place to store the weapons when the ever-growing stable of grandkids come over. Not to mention, a burglar shooting my doggers with my own guns would be the shits...

Once again, my heartfelt sympathy for your loss, Deerollman....

Very respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

I got a 18-24 count gun, fire resistant (1400 deg F for 30 min)

stack on elite. with the old school tumbler (digital was about 50-75$ more) got it at DICKS.

(paid 500$ w- a 50$ rebate)

I like it but I wish I would have gone bigger.

I put about 11 guns in that one 4 of which are scoped. and it already feels crowded.

I think the wife was trying to limit my future purchases. (no room=no more guns) like that will work!

You got to think the cheapest gun I'm locking up cost about the same as the safe.

Money well spent!

I also highly recommend German Shepard's or Dobes!

even better are Boxers, Bull Mastiffs, Pits, Dogos, Rotties or any other dog over 75lbs with the Mastiff type locking jaw.

I agree with Juggernaut on size constraints. I bought a large Heritage with electronic tumbler. Very nice safe. Seems the larger you buy, the more you fell the need to fill it up!

Be very careful about where you put it. Preplan very carefully. Size and weight dont allow for screw ups in moving it around.

Seems everybody is selling some form of safe these days. Opinions vary widely. Just do your homework.

Gander Mountain is selling safes on sale now.

Good Luck

Whatever you think is big, go bigger. I bought a 30 gun safe when I was 21 for the measly 10 guns that I had at the time. About 2 years later it was full and overflowing. The digital locks are much faster to open, especially after a few beers.

Tony

Hello

I posted this in response to Deerollman's report of having his guns pinched out of his house, but thought I'd re-post it in it's own thread here...

As a person who finds his gun "assortment" (I would hesitate to call it a "collection") growing regularly, and disturbing reports such as Deerollman's, the subject of a gun safe just can not be avoided any longer. I'm certain there are many out there with much more knowledge and hands-on experience on this subject than I.

What should a safe purchaser look for? What is necessary, what is really not? Where should such a purchase be made? Any preferred brands, models, manufacturers? What type of locking mechanism, fire rating, capacity, etc. would a first-time gun safe purchaser look for? What would be a type of locking mechanism that would still permit rapid access if needed?

It doesn't take many recounts such as Deerollman's to bring me to my senses, that it could happen to anybody. Although I believe my doggers would

A) scare a burglar off, or;

B) maul a burglar,

I don't want to risk it. Plus, it would be the responsible place to store the weapons when the ever-growing stable of grandkids come over. Not to mention, a burglar shooting my doggers with my own guns would be the shits...

Once again, my heartfelt sympathy for your loss, Deerollman....

Very respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

Get the largest gun safe you can afford! Because your wife will want to put stuff in there also. also bolt that puppy down and ask for a drier unit for it. you can get one free if you say throw it in and ill take it. :)

I have the same problem with gun safe capacity, it filled up fast.

I have the safe in the basement closet and plan to get a cabinet from Home Depot to put the safe into to disguise it. I'll then bolt the whole thing into the wall so the burglars won't wheel it off and break the lock later while they smoke dope laughing at their find. I also intend to put a hasp and add a padlock. I'll also hide the ammo in a cabinet which won't look like it's firearms related.

I got a 18-24 count gun, fire resistant (1400 deg F for 30 min)

stack on elite. with the old school tumbler (digital was about 50-75$ more) got it at DICKS.

(paid 500$ w- a 50$ rebate)

I like it but I wish I would have gone bigger.

I put about 11 guns in that one 4 of which are scoped. and it already feels crowded.

I think the wife was trying to limit my future purchases. (no room=no more guns) like that will work!

You got to think the cheapest gun I'm locking up cost about the same as the safe.

Money well spent!

I also highly recommend German Shepard's or Dobes!

even better are Boxers, Bull Mastiffs, Pits, Dogos, Rotties or any other dog over 75lbs with the Mastiff type locking jaw.

Hello, Juggernaut

Thanks for the recommends..Would you have gone for the digital lock if you were doing it again? Any estimate on dimensions?

BTW, I'm VP of GWPRescue Inc., we're a national 510.C.3 rescue organization helping to rescue and rehome German Wirehaired Pointers (AKA Drahthaars).

So, I have three GWP rescues guarding my (their) home. but I still think a safe might not be a bad idea...

You may not be familiar with GWP's, but although they are a very complacent family dog in that environment, they possess the German-bred "sharpness" that they switch gears into when necessary. Obviously, they are "German Versatile Hunting Dogs", not Pit Bulls, but I would not sell 'em short in that regard.

They are used (but I don't endorse...) for hunting bear, mountain lions, wild boar, and cats, along with the expected upland bird and waterfowl. The Australian breeders advertise their prowess at cat hunting, which is kinda different...I don't mean like bobcat or cougar, I mean feral housecats, which are a plague down there and carry a nice bounty.

What's curious about the Drat's is their ability to retrieve a dove, yet "lock-up" on a boar or whatever....They have an amazing ability to switch into the appropriate gear for the task at hand.

While working nightshift in Mississippi years ago, my old drat Jaco (Pastorius' namesake) allowed a burglar to get (I guess) a leg into the jaulosy window in my spare bedroom before he pushed the flimsy hollow-core door open and "fetched" a leg or arm or whatever....I had to replace the carpet from being soaked with blood, and I was almost certain there would be a body in my yard from the massive blood loss, but the blood trail ended at my driveway, so if he died, at least it wasn't at my crib....Jaco was an awesome dog. I reckon he was responsible for 1,500-2,000 cats demise, although I truly tried my best to discourage that.

Anyway, ditto on the dog idea. I would like to add, that by bringing any dog into the house/family to make them aware that they are an integral member of your "pack", and not only defender of their run or kennel, really pays dividends, in my opinion.

JMHO....

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

Don't wimp out...

Get the bigger one, you know you won't stop buying guns ^_^

Get one WITH fire protection (yes, some are JUST metal boxes; see Walmart)

Do your research on protection (some pre-heat their oven before testing like Heritage, some don't, makes a difference)

Get E-lock if you want quick access.

If you fear flooding (basement), put it on a stand or get a water proof model from Prostaff or similar.

Oh, and don't forget to think ahead about the weight, can damage flooring if you sit it at a weak area, believe me :rolleyes:

....Definitely go with the digital lock !!!! Even without your glasses (for those of you for whom it matters......), you can open 'em right up !!! (also in situations as Tony describes, glasses or not......)

Started out with a Browning (60"H, 30"W, 22" Deep), 12 long gun slots (guns with collapsibles or folders can be set behind the stand-ups, basically doubling the capacity), full top shelf and 4 shelves @15"......... Nice safe......I need another one just like it at this point...............

My Airedale Terrier likes to sleep in front of it............

(For those of us here in Arkansas, I got it at Fort Thompson, who has the best prices on quality safes anywhere around here.............)

Edited by Jeaux E

+1 on go big. the bigger it is the harder to steal. Mine's only 500lbs and I've managed to move it with an appliance dolly, a truck, and a tad bit of help from a friend, so it worries me that if someone really wanted it, they'd have it.

+1 on digital. i keep most of my guns locked up and would have no chance of getting to them quickly if i ever needed it b/c i went with the tumbler safe. it's slow and tedious, and that's not while under stress.

safe's are too expensive to later upgrade. just get one and get it right. a safe's the cost of a few guns, but worth the investment. it'll last forever (unless you have to replace/upgrade), it'll protect your thousands of dollars in guns, and you'll sleep safer at night knowing your stuff is safe.

The reason I like the standard tumbler is that I have heard that if you were to have a fire that you may still be able to access

your guns. To my understanding the digital will not survive the fire and you would need a Rep. from Stack On to open your safe.

Could be that is all salesperson bull as well.

guido2 thanks for the dog story! you should post a pic on the "Dogs" thread. dogs rule!

My one digisafe has a removable keypad hiding a failsafe entry behind it. Probably if

it melts or the batteries go dead, etc...

We've had lots of break-ins and smash & grabs lately in the 'hood. I keep everything

locked 24/7 except a couple hidden for quick access.

If you get a smaller one, bolt it down to the floor and wall. Bigger=Better IMHO.

Got a 40 gun safe with digital lock delivered yesterday, fire rated and has good warranty. If it gets in a fire, replaced, broken into, replaced, attempted break in, replaced. It's already pretty crowded with the "toys" and ammo. It took two big guys to unload it and wheel it inside the basement. Total, safe+tax+delivery=$950.00 and 2 cold Bud lites.

My current safe is a stack on 14 gun safe, dial lock. Its not fire rated but it only cost me 250 and I bolted it to the wall, so yeah. It's better than nothing.

Not alot better than nothing.....a crowbar would break that loose in no time and the whole box would be gone.....plus fire is a bigger threat in many areas than theft. IMO those safes are just good for keeping guns away from the kids....which aint a bad thing.

My current safe is a stack on 14 gun safe, dial lock. Its not fire rated but it only cost me 250 and I bolted it to the wall, so yeah. It's better than nothing.

Not alot better than nothing.....a crowbar would break that loose in no time and the whole box would be gone.....plus fire is a bigger threat in many areas than theft. IMO those safes are just good for keeping guns away from the kids....which aint a bad thing.

Besides guns,many folks keep other valuables in their gun safes, e.g., important papers,vehicle titles, jewelry & money, so try to buy one with plenty shelves.

This is good timing, I'm gearing up for a safe right now. Unfortunately the only place I can put one in in the basement, so I'm curious about dryers.

What options are there? Pros? Cons?

Currently I have a cheap Stack-on 8 gun that has overflowed. It clearly wouldnt stop a theif but it does keep out the kids so long as you can fit everything in it.

Indy, I got the safe locally, from the "toy" store. It has the 4 holes in the floor for bolting down, and place in back for thing to keep inside dry. Momma feels better because of it, mainly because too many guns in bedroom closet, and she could't get to clothes and shoes without her butt puckering up. :):)