US snipers in Iraq and modified AK-47's

Pretty cool!

Inside the Ring

By Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough

February 9, 2007

Snipers in Iraq

U.S. intelligence agencies have built their own version of the famous Russian-designed AK-47 assault rifle for use by American snipers in Iraq.

The snipers are firing at one form of deadly insurgent and terrorist attack, the so-called "spray and pray" method used by those who try to sow terror by emerging from hiding and firing a machine gun randomly into crowds.

The special U.S. snipers have used .50-caliber long-range rifles for killing terrorists. Now, they are using the modified AK-47s to kill insurgents without a normal shot to the head.

Instead, snipers are killing insurgents with shots to the heart, and creating dissension and doubt in the groups over who is behind the sniping. The 7.62 mm round used by the AK-47 differs from the 7.62 mm sniper round used in normal U.S. sniper ammunition and creates a different wound.

And are they being serious? Are snipers really using 50cal rounds in an urban setting? A headshot with a 50cal would be like a watermelon and a pound of TNT. Not to mention the collateral damage that would be caused...

Can anyone confirm that they're using the 50cal as anti-personel?

they have been using 50bmg rounds since the first iraq war to kill the heathen enemy. check the internet. there are pictures floating around of what it does to human flesh. I think rotten.com has one of a headshot.

we ahve also been using AKM type weapons over there since 9/11. I got into shit with people here over it about a year or so ago, and yet when I post pictures SHOWING this, and post what people have TOLD me that are OVER there, I still dont seem to know what I am talking about. yet here is ANOTHER article saying so.

I think it makes perfect sense to set our boys up "undercover" with like weapons and wait for the dirty heathens to surface and then shoot them with obviously the same weapon they have, just to put in thier minds that they never know who it is. Im sure the iraqi public in general is more than tired of the bullshit by now and welcomes this type of action.

I simply don't get the point...

Nothing new there. Re-read the original story it's all there. If you're still confused re-read Ax-Man's post.

:rolleyes: I get what they're saying, smartass, but I'm doubting if it is worth the effort, the training, the investment, etc...

they have been using 50bmg rounds since the first iraq war to kill the heathen enemy. check the internet. there are pictures floating around of what it does to human flesh. I think rotten.com has one of a headshot.

:eek:

That's an overkill. Why not use a .300ultramag or something similar? .50bmg just seems hardcore overkill

I think it makes perfect sense to set our boys up "undercover" with like weapons and wait for the dirty heathens to surface and then shoot them with obviously the same weapon they have, just to put in thier minds that they never know who it is. Im sure the iraqi public in general is more than tired of the bullshit by now and welcomes this type of action.

I agree. There's no point in being "nice" in wars. Fear, terror, dissention, these are good things in enemies. Sux how we have to play by the UN's rules whereas our enemies don't.

I simply don't get the point...

Nothing new there. Re-read the original story it's all there. If you're still confused re-read Ax-Man's post.

:rolleyes: I get what they're saying, smartass, but I'm doubting if it is worth the effort, the training, the investment, etc...

I'm doubting that anyone gives half a fuck what you think about our military and it's tactics.

aegis - maybe you have heard of the world record kill in afghanistan by a canadian sniper team using a 50bmg. the actual distance is classified, but it was over 2000 yards. you cant do that or take the enemy through a wall 100% of the time with any other round, I dont think.

aegis - maybe you have heard of the world record kill in afghanistan by a canadian sniper team using a 50bmg. the actual distance is classified, but it was over 2000 yards. you cant do that or take the enemy through a wall 100% of the time with any other round, I dont think.

holy hell. that's rediculous (and awesome). i guess there are a lot of advantages to the 50bmg, and it's probably a cheaper round than the .300s anyway (economy of scale). i'd just worry that one round would go through multple targets including civvies, but the 50 is the best combo of power and precision, so maybe good snipers can control it.

thanks for the info.

It shouldn't be hard to make an accurized AK, especially if you're only looking to do precision shooting inside 300 yards. The biggest disadvantage for the AK regarding accuracy is the lack of quality ammo. When I had a Saiga in 7.62x39, we could watch the groups change sizes just by using ammo from a different country/manufacturer. We had alot of Chinese surplus that did about 1 foot at fifty yards. Switch to some left-over Lapua, and every shot was right where I put the sights.

Start with a milled receiver, add a quality rotary forged barrel, make sure the handguard doesn't contact the barrel, perform a trigger-job, and load with match ammo. PSOP scopes should easily be up to the task.