Gun Tests magazine

A test on an Saiga 12. Kind of interesting.

link This was a 2002 issue. Can't get the whole article cause you have to be a subscriber. Bacically the cover came off during firing and they quit testing for safety reasons, and gave it a don't buy rating. If I passed up on all the guns they give a don't buy rating to, I would'nt have a 1/3 of my guns. The S12 is by far my favorite.

In some guns, there is a machining flaw in the gas tube trunion which keeps it from seating all the way flush against the front of the receiver. This makes the top cover too short to span the gap and it will pop off.

Unfortunatly, you can't just clean up the trunion since that will move the whole gas block and tube assembly back to the point the gas ports will not longer line up, nor will the cross pins. You have to weld up the top cover to lengthen it.

Tony

Gun tests consistantly provides misinformation. I have written 2 letters to the editor correcting them and they did own up to the errors. After that, i quit writing in to correct them and just gave up my subscription.

I think the idea of an unbaised gun magazine is awesome. I just wish they would take some time to check their facts. It only takes a 5 minute call to the manuf. to clear up a lot of their errors.

It sounds like they may have had a bum gun since Tony has seen the flaw as well.

As with any gun rag, take their word with a grain of salt.

Caspian

In some guns, there is a machining flaw in the gas tube trunion which keeps it from seating all the way flush against the front of the receiver. This makes the top cover too short to span the gap and it will pop off.

Unfortunatly, you can't just clean up the trunion since that will move the whole gas block and tube assembly back to the point the gas ports will not longer line up, nor will the cross pins. You have to weld up the top cover to lengthen it.

Tony

i would bet that RAA would most definately swap them out as well

they have great customer service

That article is the reason I bought a valtro PM5 a few years ago and decided not to buy a saiga12 at the time, I have since sold the PM5 and a I still have 2 new 7rd mags for it that i'll be selling.

the s-12 is ugly in a sexy way... that valtros is shitty ass ugly

that a pump... with a mag?

I thought mine was sexy, It was a standard tactical 98 I had it cut down to the 14in barrel, I had the fixed stock cut down, must have had at least 5in taken off it.

I also had a clyde barrow wipit shotgun sling rigged up, its was just a piece of nylon sling looped from the top to the bottom of the butt on the stock so it would lay along the side of your chest and stay out of the way. It could also be concealed if you wore a long coat.

It looked sort of like this valtro, only shorter stock, and the barrel dident have the threaded end for chokes anymore. It was a neat toy but had to sell, the firepower advantage's of the saiga won me over. I wont be able to get a form 1 approved unless I get the hell out of the army and FT drum NY, if I do i'll be sending a saiga to tony for the SBS conversion.

post-3657-1179295840_thumb.jpg

One has to wonder who slipped the reviewer a hundred dollar bill and a bottle of scotch.

"so once we realised that we had totaly screwed up, we put the gun a our don't buy list"

Edited by csspecs

I actually have had people that I have let shoot my s12 not like it AT ALL because it was russian, and they didnt think it was any good.....until I let them fire off some mixed length shells down a mag....

EVERYONE that has fired it, wanted to know how much it was, and half the people offered me that much for it on the spot. I havn't had anyone NOT like the thing once they shot it and say that they wanted one.

whoever wrote that article was obviously biased or a complete idiot.

an interesting note is the first time I shot 3" magnums down the s12 I own, its reciever cover popped off AS WELL, and it took me about a tenth of a second to figure out that it was the dust cover needed an adjustment (simplest way to do it if you arent using a magnifying glass), and I bent the bottom of the rear out a little tiny bit with a plier wrapped with a wide rubber band, so I didnt chip the paint....and I shot it for two years WITHOUT CLEANING IT ONCE almost religeously without a hitch in extreme weather conditions of all kinds, every other weekend before it jammed and needed a soak and good scrubbing. it still looks like I got it yesterday, and acts like it. I AM going to move to keep mine.

but we wouldnt want one of THOSE, now would we? pssh.

know what you mean Bvamp... :unsure:

the only person I know who doesn't like mine is my retarded father ... hates foreign stuff & anything not soley for hunting ...

ie hates Ar's, ps90's, semi auto pistals's, AK's ... basically anything that would be even remotely useful for a combat situation he thinks should only be possessed by military & police ... sadly when I was active military it was ok by him, now he is against me owning a gun like an M16 or M4.

Oh well, some people are just like that!