Questions about Face to Face Sales

I'm looking to sell an S-12 in North Central Florida, and the potential buyer I know for a fact lives in Georgia. He would be taking it back (across state lines) with him. I don't want to do anything that will come back to haunt me. Is there anything wrong with selling to him, and could I do a face to face sale at an FFL's shop and have him transfer it?

I've been searching for what seems like hours on F2F transfer protocol and it seems non-existent anywhere on the internet.

I'm looking to sell an S-12 in North Central Florida, and the potential buyer I know for a fact lives in Georgia. He would be taking it back (across state lines) with him. I don't want to do anything that will come back to haunt me. Is there anything wrong with selling to him, and could I do a face to face sale at an FFL's shop and have him transfer it?

I've been searching for what seems like hours on F2F transfer protocol and it seems non-existent anywhere on the internet.

Check your state laws on what it says about selling to someone in an adjacent state. In some states it's the same as if sold to someone in the same state so you can avoid the FFL stuff if you're doing a FTF. Also, any gunsmith or shop (FFL01, 02, 07) in your state should know the answer to your question.

Edited by tritium

let your FFL holder know what you want to do. have said buyer call you when he is AT the shop, and then go there to do the transfer.

if you knew the guy, I would still do a transfer because of this particular gun's potential down the road of becoming a destructive device, and you would have proof of transfer of ownership.

If you knew the person well, a bill of sale that is notarised and embossed for the date would work too.

I only do private sales to close friends, police, and permit holders, myself. I also can only buy and sell in and out of contiguous states, and only if its a NY legal gun.

It's a NIB-unfired IZ-109 12ga 19" threaded w/BHO. I bought it last month and paid $525 out the door at Ocala-Armory (I know pretty hefty, but it was there and beautiful, and the only one he would have for months). I've half-unexpectedly decided to be go back to school in the Fall and I won't have the time or money to play with it for probably 3 more years. I'm just trying to recoup what I paid. Of course, I'd be more than happy to let you know if the dealers here say no to doing a transfer to an out of state resident.

Well upon the mention of, and then insistence upon the involvement of a dealer. Even offering to sweeten the deal by paying any transfer costs, he has decided he doesn't want it anymore. I find it interesting, but still a little frightening to think about who might have been knocking on my door in 6 months when I wouldn't have any documentation of where the gun went...

Well upon the mention of, and then insistence upon the involvement of a dealer. Even offering to sweeten the deal by paying any transfer costs, he has decided he doesn't want it anymore. I find it interesting, but still a little frightening to think about who might have been knocking on my door in 6 months when I wouldn't have any documentation of where the gun went...

Really, it's probably nothing. Lots of us prefer to buy weapons face-to-face, cash on the barrel-head. I'm not interested in having any more paperwork out there than necessary.

Really, it's probably nothing. Lots of us prefer to buy weapons face-to-face, cash on the barrel-head. I'm not interested in having any more paperwork out there than necessary.

+1

That's why I have a "want a saiga" in the wanted section. Who here doesn't believe that someone, somewhere is keeping track of AK-derivative sales? Who doesn't think that there will be another assault ban at some point, or that their state will outlaw AK derivatives (much like California)? These things are not just possible... they have already happened once. So the less paperwork and lists out there, the better.

You know that since you said that they know that you really did not sell your aks and that you must be hiding them.

I'm not going to say what I have done to keep this from happing to me............ Oh bugger I just gave myself away!

I will not sell a gun to someone I don't know. I would sell through an FFL because of the background check. With my luck if I sold face to face with a stranger or casual aquaintance, they would turn out to be a convicted felon and then use my gun to commit new crimes. I just don't want to have to explain anything. All guns are a volatile subject these days. COVER YOUR ASS!!! I understand not wanting to buy through an FFL but I would rather sell through one. I guess that is probably why I don't sell a lot of guns.

Agreed ! I'm basically a law abiding citizen, respect the rights of others etc, but

that said, I'm not about to roll over and piss myself like a beta Dog trying to conform

to every ridiculous / preposterous / obscure administrative ruling,

I believe it just encourages and emboldens the Bastards.

Then again I may get nailed on an aggravated Hungarian Butt stock beef and find myself

bunking in with Ted Kaczynski (The Uni bomber) at the Club Fed Super max ;-)

Kind regards J T Hut

If you are going to sell f2f, take the time to write up a form like the one Scoutjoe presented. You could even print the one she has here.

I'm really going to have to change this avatar of mine....post-1914-1181503410.gif

If you are going to sell f2f, take the time to write up a form like the one Scoutjoe presented. You could even print the one she has here.

I'm really going to have to change this avatar of mine....post-1914-1181503410.gif

All this time I thought you were a very informed young lady that was a gun fanatic. Man you blew that for me. I have to go throw up now. Thanks. :bag:

Edited by madmilo

All this time I thought you were a very informed young lady that was a gun fanatic. Man you blew that for me. I have to go throw up now. Thanks. :bag:

Somebody missed the "post a pic of yourself" thread :rolleyes::lolol:

Somebody missed the "post a pic of yourself" thread :rolleyes::lolol:

Yes I missed that thread. I looked at your profile a while back and saw your DOB. I was happy that a twenty something female showed as much intrest and knowledge as you have. The more new gun enthusiast especially females the better and safer our sport will be from extinction. With that said you still have shown that you have aquired much more information in the area of firearms then most people your age. Glad to have you with us SIR.

Here that racegal55?

Thanks for the bill of sale copy Joe. I'm currently talking to an out of state member also (was at least?)about selling him an S-12 and started a similar thread to this last week. I think he got scared off though after talking to his FFL in Va.