choking my Saiga

Yup, A&P Lynnhaven. I got Ivan at the A&P in Hampton. Good folks but shotgunners have to follow a lot of rules, mostly put in place to keep you from shooting up the string that runs the targets back and forth. Once you do that the lane is out of comission and then they cant rent it OUCH $$.

You need to come out to the Norfolk County Range with topmaul and me and some other forum hangouts July 21 for the tactical shotgun match. Its at Bowers Hill at the junction of 664 and 264. Its a lot of fun, you cant help but smile when you see the million + broken clays and discarded wadding all over the place at the range. its a hoot and you dont have to worry about your shooting. Its easy to hit whats out there, whats hard is doing it quickly and SMART! Hopefully the chokes will help, I was hitting the stars but I couldn't knock them off...and that cost me big time. <_<

I haven't aspired to the Ivan owner ranks yet. But...when I shoot the steel at the local meets I gotta use #6 or they just don't go down. That's with my handy 870 pump. I pray for the day when I can get a Saiga. A shotgun that uses a magazine, who'da thunk it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed similar target hits between my factory full, and modified chokes.

But the tell all for me is with skeet. I had better complete breaks the majority of the time with full choke at same range distance so i stuck with it.

If anyone needs these. Oleg@Rusmilitary has a set. Looks like they are in stock as of this posting.

But if You go on eGay....find urals.

Just type in saiga. and click the description box as well. Look at the stores/members id's selling items. Click on Urals. Drop him an email. He has gotten me some truly sick, and rare izhmash shit that most have never seen for our guns. And his prices/shipping are great.

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

You can see the difference, but at ranges past 25 yards you will se more of a difference. that shark break looks awfull wide. I have a polychoke on mine and it seems tighter then I expected. Anouther thing is to try anouther brand of shells. My preference is Remingtons, not much more then winchester and I get better patterns. Sometimes you can find them on sale cheaper then winchesters as well.

Missed this thread before.

JohnnyG Kudo's on doing the work! In trying to help you know why a possible reason for not a lot of difference between two of your chokes ....

As an FYI when folks are serious about choking they use wide paper (used to be 36 in butcher paper) and test at a 40 yard range. I'm talking serious shotgun clay pigeon competitors (think skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc) and hunters. That's partly because as you said, it's hard to tell the difference when closer. (I understand you were restricted by range rulz). They put an aiming mark on the target, but then after they shoot scribe a circle (30in IIRC) over the thickest part of the pattern (not necessarily centered on the aiming mark). They know that choke is not a measurement of constriction, it's a performance (which the amount of constriction can help estimate). That performance is measured as a percentage of pellets that are in that circle. They dissect and count unfired shells from the test batch to get the denominator!!!

That performance can change due to a LOT of things including guns, bbls, choke tubes, and shotgun shell loads. When extremely finicky, they will tell you that the pattern can change between ammo manufactures, and even between lot to lot of shells. The ridiculous guys buy a pallet of ammo, test it out with combinations of choke tubes (they'll have many) and when they find thier combination they stick with that for the season (only to begin again the next year).

Years ago one of the nations best skeet shooter asked if all of that was really necessary as it doesn't make very much difference in performance (2-3% tops). His reply ... "when I miss, I don't miss by much". But there are also top shooters in Sporting clays (A LOT more target to target variation in presentation and distance) who have three tubes for "close, middle, and far distances"!

The other thing that would help you see if there's much difference would be to center the pattern on the target. Did you measure them?

Mike, I've found that when I've got a fuller choke in, I know I have to be a bit more precise and I think I get better hits not as much due to pattern as the focusing effect of the mental aspect.

John from Indy, this range limits us to 7.5 or larger as it backs onto a freeway. Some day Klaus will come back on the board and tell us the story of the policeman who was writing a ticket just down range!

Edited by kmoore

Johnny,

Actually that is about what I would expect at 25yds. There is better pellet density in the full pattern.

I have two concerns 1.) the Full is pulled to the left.. did you pull the shot off a bit?? 2.) Both of your choke patterns are a bit low, what were you using as a hold point?

When I pattern I do it against a large metal patterning board that we paint white. I usually fire 3 or 4 rounds to see where the point of impact is.. but the way you are doing it is fine. You might want to fire several shots at the same paper as it will make the differences between the patterns stand out more.

Another trick you might want to use for shooting steel is going up in shot size. As you go to larger pellets the pattern size (spread) decreases. In sporting clays we consider a change from 8 to 7 1/2 to be the same as going about one size choke tighter. The larger pellets have greater mass and retain energy better and suffer less wind resistance. On the star you might try (assuming they don't limit you to 7 1/2 or 8s) #6 shot or even #4. The bigger shot sizes are a bit more expensive but it is worth the cost. When I was last serious about IPSC shotgun, on tough steel I shot Remington #2 x #4 duplex loads (which they don't make any longer).

Anyway.. my .02

• 2 weeks later...

First I put the Nobel 00 12 pellet Buck through the Shark break. That's a pretty big spread! There is 12 pellets in the shell so a few are not showing up on the target. I should have a good chance of hitting something no matter how much I have been drinking! :haha:

post-4575-1184898411_thumb.jpg

post-4575-1184898805_thumb.jpg

post-4575-1184898989_thumb.jpg

post-4575-1184899017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johnny Gun

Again there does not appear to be much difference between the modified and full chokes. But they do make a big difference over the shark break. I cant get a dime through the full choke and I can only get the dime through the modified choke with a lot of persuasion. So their diameters are very close. I am considering taking the dremmel to the modified choke and opening it up just a bit. However I want to see what the differences are at 50 and 75 yards before I try that! :smoke:

post-4575-1184898989_thumb.jpg

post-4575-1184899017_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Not too long ago I bought a box of the Centurion Law Enforcement ball with 6 buck shot ammo. I just wanted to play around with it. I decided to shoot some paper at 25 yards with the shark break and then my modified choke and add the photos to this post. Nothing scientific about what I am doing, just putting the target and taking a shot at it at my local range. First photo is the Shark break. The big ball shot pretty straight but the little balls had a pretty wide pattern.

post-4575-1217108348_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the Centurion ammo shot through a Saiga modified choke. It looks like the shot pattern was pretty tight. One rather large hole and just two smaller holes just above the big one. Like I said there is nothing scientific about this, I just took a single shot at the target. It looks like the Centurion might be a pretty good self defense round.

post-4575-1217108684_thumb.jpg