Complaints spark look at fireworks rules

By Jack Moran

The Register-Guard

Published: Monday, July 23, 2007

SPRINGFIELD - For three weeks this summer, Leslie Markham felt like she was "living in a war zone."

Sudden bangs and booms rumbled through her southwest Springfield neighborhood night after night, unnerving Markham and putting her pets on edge.

Fireworks - legal and illegal - were to blame. And after a decade of distress on and around the Fourth of July, Markham says she has had enough.

"Some years aren't as bad as others, but this year was especially horrendous," she said. "I mean, explosions until 1 a.m.? My animals were going crazy. I really believe it's time for a ban on (personal) fireworks in Springfield. I know I'm not alone in thinking that."

Markham last week asked the City Council to outlaw the sale and private use of all fireworks, including the legal kind sold each summer at temporary vending stands. She has no problem with the annual big fireworks show at Island Park, or any other major display put on by professional pyrotechnics experts. It's the amateur backyard, front yard, driveway and middle-of-the-street displays that have her - and many others - alarmed.

Councilors say they are not inclined to take a serious look at the issue - despite the fact that a few of them admit they're annoyed with people who set off explosives for several nights surrounding the July 4 holiday.

"My backyard is (next to) the old Kmart," Councilor Dave Ralston said. "In that whole parking lot, for three or four days before the Fourth until a week later, people were setting them off until late at night. It was warm, and I had to shut my windows to go to sleep, so that was bothersome."

But a citywide ban on sparklers, spinners and Piccolo Petes? That's going too far, Ralston said.

"I'm not at all interested in discussing it," he said. "It's unpatriotic, in my view."

Councilor Christine Lundberg agreed.

"It's one of those all-American things," Lundberg said. Yes, fireworks blasts echoed through her Gateway area neighborhood for about three weeks this year. Still, she said, "I would struggle supporting" a ban.

However, Lundberg, Ralston and Councilor John Woodrow all said they would be open to considering new rules to limit the period in which fireworks use or sales are allowed.

State and local regulations allow so-called "safe and sane" fireworks to be set off at any time of year, city Fire Marshal Al Gerard said. Licensed vendors can sell the legal ones June 23-July 6.

Like many fire officials throughout the country, Gerard believes that outlawing personal fireworks is a fine idea.

"Having a ban on fireworks is not outlandish in my opinion," said Gerard, adding that each year several Springfield residents ask about a prohibition.

It's not a foreign concept. Five U.S. states and dozens of cities - including Medford in Southern Oregon and several Washington cities - forbid the sale and private use of all fireworks, 365 days of the year. Fire danger is the primary reason, although many jurisdictions cite personal safety as another factor.

Gerard said 10 fires sparked by fireworks were reported in Springfield in 2006. Nine such fires have broken out this year.

"It's pretty simple," Gerard said. "Fireworks are incendiary in nature. If we were to not allow any fireworks, we'd have fewer fires."

The most devastating fireworks-related blaze this year in Springfield broke out the morning of July 4, when a 4-year-old boy died of smoke inhalation after lighting fireworks he found inside a closet in his Gateway area home. Gerard said the stash was purchased at a stand on Main Street.

Woodrow and Mayor Sid Leiken acknowledged that Caleb Freeman's death is a tragedy. But both said they believe that it was a freak occurrence that doesn't give more weight to the anti-fireworks argument.

Springfield police fielded 39 fireworks-related complaints from July 1-10, Sgt. Brent Carpenter said. Stopping short of saying he would support a ban, Carpenter acknowledged that outlawing

fireworks "certainly would slow down" activities that prompt citizens to call the police.

"There are a lot of people who are really frustrated" with the flurry of fireworks, he said. "Every year, the calls start in June and run clear into the middle of July."

Many of the biggest bangs heard throughout Springfield on and around July 4 are caused by homemade explosives and fireworks purchased outside the state. Under Oregon law, anyone using illegal fireworks could be arrested and fined up to $500. Carpenter said Springfield police issue occasional citations for the crime but generally opt to warn first-time offenders and confiscate their illegal fireworks.

Springfield councilors said enforcing a ban on "safe and sane" fireworks in their city would be difficult, especially if Eugene continued to allow sales.

"If Eugene (vendors) sold them and Springfield didn't, it would be ridiculous," Woodrow said.

Councilor Joe Pishioneri, a career law enforcement officer, said his Thurston neighborhood was filled with the sounds of fireworks for several days surrounding July 4. But like others on the council, Pishioneri doesn't support a ban.

"I like the spirit of independence," he said. "If that means I have to listen to a Piccolo Pete at midnight a few nights each year, that's fine. I'll live with it."

Councilor Anne Ballew said she would need to find out more information from police and fire officials before considering a ban. "I don't have a set opinion on it at the moment," Ballew said. "I know people love (setting off fireworks), but it is annoying."

Let me guess....

Ms. Markham must've moved to Springfield from Berkley, CA or some other S--T hole down in that Commie state.

I can't even begin to tell you (as an umpteenth generation Oregonian and Pacific Northwesterner from Coos Bay) how incredibly crappy life has become since all of these whiners started infiltrating this area (PNW).

All we ever hear from them is "Can't do this & Can't do that".

Here's a new one - if you don't like it you can shag ass back to place whence you came, and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

I've seen a lot of things change for the worse here since the invasion; from the whole spotted owl garbage to this crap.

People, if you must move to another state (or even from the city to the country, or vice versa) check out the local customs first.

If ya don't like 'em, don't move.

For criminysakes, it's the 4th of July and it happens once a year.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for listening.

Cheers,

-T

sounds about like what i said

i'm gonna find out where she lives and tp her damned house

if thad'd been the Eugene city council... neighboring town( and where i live)... they'd be banned already

I still think the solution is to find out what Ms. Markham enjoys to do and then ask the city council to ban that. Everytime someone stands up to ban something stupid, that they might not like, find what they DO like and start a movement against that. If the gun owners could band together and do that, I bet these other people would sit the fock down!

It's all fine and dandy to ban stuff...until you get to something THEY like.

Edited by WS6_Keith

Owning them should never be illegal anywhere.

Where to use them and during what hours should be the jurisdiction of local governments.

They should be allowed on private property or designated park property only. Not in public roads. Some kids threw some horrendous thing next to my new car a couple years back. I was scared to death of the neighborhood fireworks activities where unsupervised small children were throwing them everywhere. But I had an enjoyable and safe fireworks event at a friend's farm, clear of public roads and a half mile away from other houses.

Like guns, keeping them as property should not be infringed. How you use them in relation to ther people is what we have laws for. I'll stand for a person's right to own fireworks and use them in accordance with the law on his own land. But no one has the right to throw a volcano of multi-thousand degree magnesium sparks anywhere that flows onto my property.

"It's pretty simple," Gerard said. "Fireworks are incendiary in nature. If we were to not allow any fireworks, we'd have fewer fires."

Oh please. What next? We ban lighters and matches? There sure would be less fires then too. What idiots.

Springfield......

Isn't that where the Simpsons live? "DOH..."

guido2 in Houston

from wnat i heard "the simpsons" was created from our springfield

the power plant was based on the Wayerhauser partical board plant that used to have frequent sawdust flashfires

Oh please. What next? We ban lighters and matches? There sure would be less fires then too. What idiots.

i call the fuckers "fun police"

update...

she did live in commie-fornia

she's 62

and there is a case in the allelate courts questioning her sanity... i can't find the specific record to confirm though

Was there ever any doubt? When I'm around they tend not to admit they're from that state as I refuse to hide my disdain.

When I was growing up (early 1970's) my parents took me to visit some family friends that had recently moved to San Diego. These folks had a couple of kids that were my age. When they introduced me to all of their "California" friends all the jokes went around about me being from Oregon:

"Oh you're from Oregon huh. They still drive covered wagons up there?"

Well who's laughing now pal?

When I see 'em out at the bar or the taverns I don't hold back. I've managed to single-handedly clear out a bar in Portland by spewing my vitriol concerning these folks and the barman didn't seem to mind one bit (he's another third generation Oregonian).

I will say that I've met a few from Northern California that I've become pretty good friends with (my wife, for one) and I'd probably like a few more if they stopped thinking that the world revolved around them and where they came from.

If you come here, do us all a favor, leave the crap back home.

Ok, rant off, thanks for listening again.

-T

lol... a good rant

they continue to flock here to get away from the taxes they voted into existance

Not all of them voted for it. Got a friend, Oli, that lives out there. It's just job related. He's actually quite grounded and also quite outnumbered. Hell, he's a former Marine. Can't be all bad, can he? :smoke:

Once a Marine..always a Marine... ;)

Except for Murtha. I've heard Marines currently serving call him an ex-Marine.

As a Marine (not currently serving), I'll second that murtha is an EX-Marine!

And on the fireworks, I got woodchucks... Lots of em, Love shootin 'em.

Sadly, I got to work for a living and cant sit there all day with a shotty in my lap waitin' for them to show up.

I USED to be able to get agricultural explosives (M-80 on steroids)... drop them down the hole...and Blammo!

no more rodent.

well, now it seems I can't do that any more because I'm not a farmer or on farmland...

even though I got around 7 acers

Whatever... so I got woodchucks...

Now I get a 55 gal drum of water and dump it down one hole and wait with a ball bat by the other hole.

when they come runnin out, I go caveman on their rodent asses!

NOTHING gets that primal feelin' goin' like beatin' an animal to death with a club! :super:

Once a Marine..always a Marine... ;)

Except for Murtha. I've heard Marines currently serving call him an ex-Marine.

As a Marine (not currently serving), I'll second that murtha is an EX-Marine!

+1 on that one.

Well, I've noticed that. Californians do love to destroy the states they move to.

Guys/Gals... it's just not the States that they move too...

We have our share of them in Canada, it's like the touch of death when they move up there... People wonder why Canada is the way it is sometimes, well on the West Coast, that's part of the reason, Draft Dodgers, a lot from Cali made there way up there... Hell we even had a .GOV employee run away to the Coast Islands, turns out he was on the reefer so he ran to Canada...

Betcha $5 he'll run for office on the NDP or Liberal party ticket... BTW NDP party is like Democrats to the 3rd power.... :cryss:

Yes. And, while we're at it, let's ban Heavy Thunderstorms, too. Then, there will be less flooding.

Yes. And, while we're at it, let's ban Heavy Thunderstorms, too. Then, there will be less flooding.

If your going after flooding you need to do something about those hurricanes! Its for the children and the defenseless baby bunnies

And on the fireworks, I got woodchucks... Lots of em, Love shootin 'em.

Sadly, I got to work for a living and cant sit there all day with a shotty in my lap waitin' for them to show up.

I USED to be able to get agricultural explosives (M-80 on steroids)... drop them down the hole...and Blammo!

no more rodent.

well, now it seems I can't do that any more because I'm not a farmer or on farmland...

even though I got around 7 acers

Whatever... so I got woodchucks...

Now I get a 55 gal drum of water and dump it down one hole and wait with a ball bat by the other hole.

when they come runnin out, I go caveman on their rodent asses!

NOTHING gets that primal feelin' goin' like beatin' an animal to death with a club! :super:

upon reading this... i laughed so hard i got an asthma attack