.223 range results + gun photos

I went to the range today to test out my .223 (new conversion). At 50 yards with a bushnell holosight (same as eotech n-cell) I got about a 2 inch group with monarch .223 from academy (cheap stuff). Is this an acceptable grouping?

I didnt really get any consistent groups at 100 yards because I was adjusting...I will need to try again some other time. If I had to guess, my groups would be about 4in-7in at that range. What kindof groups are acceptable at 100 yd with monarch ammo? I will need to get a scope on this rifle to see if I am really aiming in the same place at 100 yd.

That bushnell holosight is good, but man, I wish it could be preset for 3 different ranges. It sucks only being set at 50 yd or 100 yd. How do you guys deal with this?

BTW, has anyone swapped a .223 mag catch lever with a x39 lever? They seem to be the proper length for aftermarket mags....just on the wrong guns! How do I swap these and how hard is it?

Here are some pics:

post-6791-1185688925_thumb.jpg

post-6791-1185688956_thumb.jpg

post-6791-1185688936_thumb.jpg

Edited by wooofad

Comrade,

What is the MOA on your optic. your not going to get any better groupings than your optic MOA, for example I use a 1.5 MOA optic, if you have a 4 MOA optic two inch groups at 50 yards would be about the best you can expect. Which is not bad at all.

Comrade,

What is the MOA on your optic. your not going to get any better groupings than your optic MOA, for example I use a 1.5 MOA optic, if you have a 4 MOA optic two inch groups at 50 yards would be about the best you can expect. Which is not bad at all.

It is supposed to be a 1 MOA dot, I think.

• 1 month later...

To accomplish much better accuracy,replace that wire stock with the original Saiga sport or a Saiga factory Russian skeletonized stock. Then,mount a decent variable scope, e.g., a 3x9x40 and you will see your groups improve dramatically. The 223 is a long range caliber and the Saiga's engineering capaitalizes on that, so rebuild your rifle back to its full capability and be amazed by what you see.

Nice Woofad! The Gun, the Sight and the Shooting! Interested in more info on the Holosight.....Cost is what about $300? (basically the cost of the Gun) Sounds like its accuracy decreases out past the effective distance of the projected hologram. Am interested to see some more of your results at the 100 yd. mark. Pls keep us informed.

BS012

The 223 is very flat shooting and there wont be much difference in 50 and 100 yard zero. 2 inch groups at 50 isnt too bad with cheap ammo. Try using the top of the dot for a sighting point. If you set the zero at 100 yards it might hit a little low at 50. That sight is meant to be a fast action combat sight and not really for precise target. Then again the AK isnt made for precise target either. I think its a good matchup for a combat gun setup.

I can't see the feasibility of an 8x scope on a .223 carbine

Hell... I use 6-24 X 50's on BOTH my AR-15's. I LOVE my optic on 24X!!! AND... On my Ruger TNZ (10/22 target model) I have a 40X optic mounted... I personally cant stand a low power optic for target shooting... Thats just me, though...

:smoke:

DUDE! thanks.That is truly awesome. the specs say it has a range finder too? nice price but a bit much for a .223. now a .308 I'd grab that but I can't see the feasibility of an 8x scope on a .223 carbine

I've got a 4-12X scope on my 10/22 and I LOVE IT. I usually use the 8X setting, so there you go.

To accomplish much better accuracy,replace that wire stock with the original Saiga sport or a Saiga factory Russian skeletonized stock. Then,mount a decent variable scope, e.g., a 3x9x40 and you will see your groups improve dramatically. The 223 is a long range caliber and the Saiga's engineering capaitalizes on that, so rebuild your rifle back to its full capability and be amazed by what you see.

The stock has absolutely nothing to do with your grouping. My 308 groups 1 in off a cold bbl with a romy wire stock. The saiga is a 2-3moa gun in most situations, so the best you would do with sparkling $2000 optics is about that. Some improvement can be made to the trigger given the stock setup is pretty bad, but he's already done that.

A 2 in group at 50 yards isn't half bad. You can do better or worse. A 4x scope is about what the gun is up to. More magnification won't buy you much.

• 1 month later...

i would buy diff. ammo find out what ammo weight/brand your weapon perfers there will be a few types it likes better than others. i spent about $200 on diff types on my 308 to find 2 brands/types that shoots 3rnd grps inside a 1 inch square at 100yrds.1 brand was a cheaper brand u can get at walmart the other was a mid priced 1.i can hit coke cans free standing at 50yrds.mine is a stock 21.8"(22) saiga 308 with a 3x9 40mm scope.after u have shot atleast 300 rnds in it to break it in real good if u havent already then find what brand it likes.i was thinking about getting a .223 hopeing they have better accuracy ,but it doesnt sound like they are anymore accurate than what i got. are any of you getting as good or better in accuarcy with your .223 than im getting

Edited by Cryptkeeper