PolyChoke for the S12

My new S12 should be here next week (along with the conversion parts) -- so hopefully I'll be ready to start breaking her in after Labor Day.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has tried the new PolyChoke for the S12. How well does it work? How easy is it to adjust? Is it worth the extra money?

My Saiga should have the threaded barrel, so I'm interested in a choke set up. If the PolyChoke really performs as advertised, then I may just bite the bullet and buy one. If not, then I'll probably order a choke set from Oleg at Rusmilitary.

Thanks for your input!

Jim

I haven't patterned one on a Saiga specifically, but I do have one on an old Ithaca 37 that I have had since 1974 (my first gun). I patterned that gun extensively and the choke worked as advertised, albeit the selection were off by one click....ie, when set at modified, it threw a pattern between improved and mod. So in order to get a true full choke, it had to be turned one click past full. That was probably due to the high round count through the choke though.

Tony

I have the poly choke on on a Harrington & Richards 16 ga. that I have had for 42 years and I remember being very pleased with it in my youth. Took many a dove, quail and a few pheasant as well as busting more clay pigeons than I can remember. Always worked well for me. Dated advice, but all I got. You should be well satisfied but it is like so many things, what makes me happy may give others cause for complaint (ie -AGP). Anytime you get something with 3 options it is going to be a little different than 3 dedicated barrels.

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I need to save some more pennies and get one!

Once I get it, I know I'll have to pattern it on my gun with my loads. I just wanted to make sure the general consensus was that they do the job.

My S12 will be at my dealer's on Monday -- WOOHOO!!

Jim

Whew...thanks! That's what I thought -- but I knew if I didn't ask for sure I'd end up with a $100 paperweight!

Jim

I have one on my Saiga tromix. I removed the shark Bite and you can see the difference when you shoot. I tested in a 3 guns Comp. at blackwater last sunday and it was working like a charm. I had it on mod. and you can feel the recoil expecially because i was shooting high brass loads. No problems with the AGP mags! I think it is the way to go if you shoot in competition! so easy to change the setting. It dose not look "sexy" but it dose his work very well.

regards

Giulio

• 2 months later...
Whew...thanks! That's what I thought -- but I knew if I didn't ask for sure I'd end up with a $100 paperweight!

Jim

I have one on my Saiga tromix. I removed the shark Bite and you can see the difference when you shoot. I tested in a 3 guns Comp. at blackwater last sunday and it was working like a charm. I had it on mod. and you can feel the recoil expecially because i was shooting high brass loads. No problems with the AGP mags! I think it is the way to go if you shoot in competition! so easy to change the setting. It dose not look "sexy" but it dose his work very well.

regards

Giulio

I have to agree the polychoke is the way to go for 3-gun. I tried going the no choke route for a match but pattern just to open had a hard time taking down plates. The imp-modified setting seems to work the best for me in my gun. $100 bucks never an easy pill to swallow but turned my shotgun into a totally different gun.

Jim

regards

Giulio

Hello, They still making fun of the S-12's at Blackwater ?? The AR guys could dream up a lot of crap behind my back down there, but they still lined up to shoot the select fire "Beast".. a few years back. :smoke:

Jim

regards

Giulio

Giulio,

With the polychoke has that problem gone a way?

I have the Saiga threaded non-vented version on my gun and it works great, just be sure to loc-tite it in place. It was a bit hard to adjust at first, but after shooting through it a bit to break it in, it became quite easy. I accidentally ran a magazine of slugs through it on the modified setting with no ill effects.

I got polychokes on my two saigas, they work great. Just plan on it being a bitch to clean from the muzzle end, you uncrew the outside of the polychoke for cleaning and there are metal fingers inside which snag everything.

I found a way arround this, I take the wire rods from an otis cleaning kit and the patch jig for a rifle then just pull a whole rag through the barrel from the chamber end with the shotgun dis assembled.

If your mostly using buck, You could use Hornady TAP which uses a solid wad and dosent need a choke anyway. The groop size with that ammo never changes, constant fist size groops.

Edited by mike123456
My new S12 should be here next week (along with the conversion parts) -- so hopefully I'll be ready to start breaking her in after Labor Day.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has tried the new PolyChoke for the S12. How well does it work? How easy is it to adjust? Is it worth the extra money?

My Saiga should have the threaded barrel, so I'm interested in a choke set up. If the PolyChoke really performs as advertised, then I may just bite the bullet and buy one. If not, then I'll probably order a choke set from Oleg at Rusmilitary.

Thanks for your input!

Jim

I have a polychoke for my S12 and it's great! It adjusts pretty easily.

Yay...I finally made a post after months and months of reading and learning things on here!

post-2093-1195602840_thumb.jpg

Love 'em! Awesome for busting clays. Handle slugs good too.

As for cleaning, I take a wire brush, give the finger gaps a few swipes & they're good to go.

Great looking guns, dinzag! Your weapons always look so sharp. What kind of hand guard is that on the top shottie? It sweet! :super:

post-2093-1195602840_thumb.jpg

Love 'em! Awesome for busting clays. Handle slugs good too.

As for cleaning, I take a wire brush, give the finger gaps a few swipes & they're good to go.

Great looking guns, dinzag! Your weapons always look so sharp. What kind of hand guard is that on the top shottie? It sweet! :super:

Hey JG, that's standard K-Var HG's (& my gas tube/rsb/fsb/lower ret setup)