Hornady SST ROund

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=148

This slug is designed for rifled barrels. Has anybody tried it in a smooth bore? Any thoughts? Looks like one wicked round. Termite mentioned these in another thread and I thought I would see if anybody else has any experience with them.

Muzzle 50 yds 100 yds 150 yds 200 yds

Velocity (fps) 2000 1816 1641 1482 1341

Energy (ft/lbs) 2664 2196 1793 1463 1198

Trajectory (") -0.9 2.4 2.7 0.0 -6.7

post-3915-1190689194.jpg

Edited by 1911

I have used these since they came out about 3 yrs ago. I only use them in my H&R ultra slug gun. It's a heavy bastard but a tack driver. 100 yd groups of 2" or less. I put a deer down with one the first year i used them at 230 yds.

These slugs are sabboted so they won't give you that kind of accuracy in a smooth bore. You want a nasty slug to shoot in a smooth bore, try brennike's.

I have used these since they came out about 3 yrs ago. I only use them in my H&R ultra slug gun. It's a heavy bastard but a tack driver. 100 yd groups of 2" or less. I put a deer down with one the first year i used them at 230 yds.

These slugs are sabboted so they won't give you that kind of accuracy in a smooth bore. You want a nasty slug to shoot in a smooth bore, try brennike's.

Agreed 100%^^ Fine weapon for shooting those. I use the hornady SST's and the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra. Both similiar on all specs. I get 2" avg groups as well at 100 yds. Gotta love that damn 10 gauge barrel.

If you shoot them out of a smoothbore, they may tumble. Curious to see if they stabilize out of a paradox choke.

MikeD has enough fun projects, this one's mine! I have been using various black powder slugs- trying to figure a way to get fin on one that won't come off or get crushed by ignition forces.

Also, sabots don't always shed the sleeves in smoothbores. I have some 4 piece sleeves that I want to try. Another direction I am trying is making a slug mold that uses a sharpened cold rolled steel core. You place the steel core in the mold and pour the lead in around it, the mold has fins designed in.

I'm trying to accomplish two things:

1) Superior range, 100 yard groups are being done, what about COM at 200yds with plenty of fps and energy left? (without holding over two feet!)

2) Superior hard target penetration. Slugs can smash through barriers at close range but lose velocity farther out, and soft lead deforms easily.

Has anyone got any input on the above ideas?

My biggest problem is time, I'm so freaking busy I don't get to work on it but sporadically. Hell, my Saiga been on my bench in pieces for 3 weeks now!

Probably illegal, but if you can drill the exact center of the slug you might create a steel core. Then you'd REALLY have a tack driver. If I had a dollar for every weird illegal shotshell mod story I've heard. HMM, Idea forming.

Since Mythbusters likes gun myths so much- maybe they could test some of these wacky anarchist cookbook mods, like taking the shot out and loading 22 pennies. Supposedly they were used by a few shotgun users in Vietnam. or loading pencil erasers as an ad hock rubber shot. </ramble>

Are these safe to run in a full choked saiga 12 22" barrel?

Since the projectile seems smaller than the barrel I figure I should ask. (Wouldn't plastic squeeze down a lot more easily than lead?)

I'd also like to know where there is an article that will give me 100% assurance as to if I can run rifled slugs safely. In all the years of owning this gun and viewing this forum, I've still never found an answer that makes me feel safe to put a slug through my gun.

Reason being, I'm going to be deer hunting this year and I found out the .454casull revolver I just got has too short of a barrel (2.5") to legally hunt with. So I guess it's time to fall back on the saiga.

Edited by Mephis
Are these safe to run in a full choked saiga 12 22" barrel?

Since the projectile seems smaller than the barrel I figure I should ask. (Wouldn't plastic squeeze down a lot more easily than lead?)

I'd also like to know where there is an article that will give me 100% assurance as to if I can run rifled slugs safely. In all the years of owning this gun and viewing this forum, I've still never found an answer that makes me feel safe to put a slug through my gun.

Reason being, I'm going to be deer hunting this year and I found out the .454casull revolver I just got has too short of a barrel (2.5") to legally hunt with. So I guess it's time to fall back on the saiga.

IIRC Sabots are a no go through that full choke, stick to the Brenneke slugs

Sabot slugs need rifling, period. I shot a few Remington Copper Solids through my open choked Saiga, they went into about 9" at 30 yards, two of them hit sideways. Sellior & Bellot, on the other hand, grouped into 1".

I'd skip the slugs through a full choke, especially the Brennekes, which are a lot harder than Foster type slugs. Safe or not, a full choke probably won't be as accurate with slugs as a more open choke.

Edited by methical160
Since Mythbusters likes gun myths so much- maybe they could test some of these wacky anarchist cookbook mods, like taking the shot out and loading 22 pennies. Supposedly they were used by a few shotgun users in Vietnam. or loading pencil erasers as an ad hock rubber shot. </ramble>

Will dimes work for ya?

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot35.htm