Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I just liberated my first Saiga a couple of days ago (liberated from the 'politically correct' factory state). I noticed my pistol grip kept loosening up after I tightened it, and figured the original trigger hole might be to blame. These plates were made for underfolders that have a lot of metal missing from the receiver so the folder parts can fit, so I figured I'd try it in the Saiga.

Long story short:

saiga556_665.JPG

saiga556_667.JPG

No, it's not as sexy as a Tromix job, but it'll get the job done (Yes, I plan on refinishing it).

You can get the reinforcement plates here.

Edited by nalioth
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I put the underfolder on the wife' S-.410, I made a plate out of a piece of steel banding strap. I scribed it to fit the Ergo grip.

The piece of banding was trash picked off of a pallet that heavy steel was shipped on. The material is 10 ga steel about 1 1/2 " wide. And is already blued!

• 2 months later...

'nalioth'

Adding this plate to the receiver was what prompted me to ask about acetone and JB Weld in a topic I posted today.

There was not a pistol grip nut hole pre-cut in my receiver of the last Saiga I got ;so I had to cut one.

Well, my measurements were off and I ended up having to do a "C Section" to get my pistol grip hole cut.

I was trying to think of a way to re-inforce the receiver in the pistol grip area when I remembered seeing these.

I got one (from AK Builders) that had 3 holes pre-drilled; one for the trigger guard and two more opposite each other at the other end. I drilled the other two holes from the plate through the receiver and put in screws with nuts.

Right now all I have is those 3 screws holding the plate to the receiver, but I think it will be alright without adding JB Weld or any other epoxy.

louielouie

p.s. Here is a photo and you barely notice the reinforcement plate.

I have blued the edge of mine and used a wider Tapco grip to make it less noticeable.

If you double-click the photo will be as big as your screen.

post-5881-1202135603_thumb.jpg

Edited by louielouie
Right now all I have is those 3 screws holding the plate to the receiver, but I think it will be alright without adding JB Weld or any other epoxy.
That'll work great. All I have holding mine together is the regular ol' pistol grip nut and bolt.
  • 1 month later...