A buddy of mine had DPMS make him a 16" .308 Carbine and the thing is too painful to be enjoyable. One shot, one bruise. Kinda like the Texas Rangers of carbines. :) I had a .308 carbine years ago and tried to tell him, but no it was his dream. It is a great bragging rights gun, just not a lot of fun.

Below I have listed standard specifications for both AR's I own. I love them both and they each serve different roles and I'm well versed in each as a Combat Marksmanship Coach within the United States Marine Corps. You should understand for all intents and purposes the M4 will do the job as long as your not trying to reach out and touch varmits at 500+ yards. The M4 will hold its own on a man size target out to that and probably a little further. My Bull will hold a 1/2" or less and sometimes touching 3 round group at 100 yards with a 55gr round.

My Rock River M4 spec's:

STANDARD CONFIGURATION

CALIBER .223/5.56mm NATO Chamber

UPPER RECEIVER Forged A4

CARRY HANDLE Detachable Tactical Carry Handle

BARREL 16" Chrome Moly, 1:9 Twist

MUZZLE DEVICE A2 Flash Hider / 1/2-28 Thread

TRIGGER Two Stage Match

SAFETY SELECTOR Star

PISTOL GRIP Hogue Rubber

HANDGUARD R-4 Handguard

BUTTSTOCK 6-Position Tactical CAR Stock

WEIGHT 7.5 Pounds

LENGTH 36 Inches

ACCURACY 1 MOA at 100 Yards

INCLUDED One Mag, Safe Case, Manual, Warranty

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My DPMS Panther Bull spec's:

Barrel: 20" Length, 416 Stainless steel bull barrel, 6 grooves, right-hand 1x9 twist, button rifled

Chamber: .223 Remington

Method of Operation: Gas operated rotating bolt

Bolt & Carrier: 8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec, Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec

Sights: Famous Maker 4-12x power

Weight: Empty - 9.15 lbs.

Length: 38 1/4 "

Upper Receiver: A3 style flattop, Forged, 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy, Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black

Dust cover, Shell deflector, Round forward assist, Right hand ejection

Lower Receiver: Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy, Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black, Semi-Auto trigger group, Aluminum trigger guard, Aluminum magazine release button

Stock: Standard A2 Black Zytel Mil Spec w/trap door assembly

Handguards: Aluminum ribbed free float tube.

ive heard of aluminum AR uppers breaking after going through few hundred rounds, or a proofing round?

Are you serious? I have never heard of this unless a reload was WAY TOO hot. There are quite a few new comers to the scene and even though I personally wouldn't buy a off brand I'm sure if its made to MIL SPEC it should be more then reliable.

i am looking to get a varmint riffle on an ar15 platform with a heavy barrel in 7.62, have been concidering either dpms or rock river arms. any one have any encounters with them or other ar15 varmint gun manufactures good or bad

Be aware though that 7.62 AR mags are not too plentiful from what I hear :unsure: .

They both have decent reputations. RRA is a little better, but their .308 isn't out yet...

Hello

Called them a couple of weeks ago (tapping watch and looking at calender.....) and they said they were re-re-engineering their lowers.

I've been waiting a couple of years, now. I have to hope that it will be worth the wait.

From all reports, the delay is due to a "perfectionist" attitude from RRA. They would rather wait and offer a bug-free product, than rush a POS into people's hands and sully-up the reputation they have established at Rock River. Gotta respect that. Just hope they can beat Hitlery/Osama into office!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

• 3 weeks later...

I had problems with the Wilson tactical uppers years ago and RRA uses them on their rifles. This is not the same as the quality Wilson that makes AR's shot gun and 1911's. I have not heard of RRA have the accuracy issues I experienced in the past but I still have a bad taste when it comes to Wilson Tactical.

I have owned and built several DPMS AR's and for the money (especially when I could get the lower receivers for $100.00) you cuold not get a better rifle. DPMS is good quality.

Colt is too expensive!!! They are proud of their stuff.

Olympic Arms builds a good rifle. The lower receivers just have that ugly label etched in making them look in my opinion cheap. I know several guys that have them and love them. By the way Topmaul I know a distributor for these and can get them really cheap as compared to the others. (again, good rifles with ugly receivers).

I dont beleive that about the receiver breaking unless they were poorly made by some off the wall manufacturer.

The job of the upper and lower receiver is just to hold the parts together and keep them from falling out. The barrel, bolt and carrier handle all of the preasure which is then transferred to the buffer and spring.

Just figure out what configuration you want and get a good name brand and you will be fine.

I prefer to buy a striped lower receiver from a local shop. I then go to places like Del-Ton and get the rifle kit set up the way I want and then put the rifle together myself. The uppers come complete and head spaced. The lower is not hard to assemble and there is a site that will even show you step by step how to do the assembly without all of the specialized tools. I can find that site and give it to you later if you want it.

I might buy the Saiga in .223 but I'll never buy anything on the AR design unless I have the money to burn. Sorry, just my personal experience after putting that platform through its paces in Iraq. I know this isn't Iraq and I know I have the luxury of maintaining that weapon in pristine condition if I wanted but no thanks.

I might buy the Saiga in .223 but I'll never buy anything on the AR design unless I have the money to burn. Sorry, just my personal experience after putting that platform through its paces in Iraq. I know this isn't Iraq and I know I have the luxury of maintaining that weapon in pristine condition if I wanted but no thanks.

Gunny, what do you think about the gas trap carbine (gas piston) uppers for the AR's? I know several companies are making them now. I was told by a sometimes reliable source that Colt was even coming out with one and calling it the M-5.

Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about these. I was looking at getting the H&K 416 upper for my Department A-1.(A-1 that has been converted to a 10 inch Comando) This is full auto and I am wondering if it functions well and reliably in both semi and full auto.

Edited by madmilo
Gunny, what do you think about the gas trap carbine (gas piston) uppers for the AR's? I know several companies are making them now. I was told by a sometimes reliable source that Colt was even coming out with one and calling it the M-5.

Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about these. I was looking at getting the H&K 416 upper for my Department A-1.(A-1 that has been converted to a 10 inch Comando) This is full auto and I am wondering if it functions well and reliably in both semi and full auto.

The HK416 I'd buy in a heartbeat. Colt and HK had a pissing contest about the research HK was doing on the M4 and the name they had for the prototype 416 (HKM4). Colt is supposedly coming out with their own design but I have not heard or seen anything along that front. I think they are the only two coming out with something like this but I could be wrong...I'm no longer in touch with some of the guys that do the cool weapons testing for the Marine Corps down in Quantico.

The other thing that may offset the initial cost for your department is the projected length of service life for your weapon. They expect components to last longer because the gases are cooler using the HK416 upper and there is much less fouling. So if you can get one for your department I don't think it would be a bad investment.

BUT...to date I don't think they are offering anything like the 416 in a semi-auto version. However you do bring up a good alternative and I might save my pennies for it until then.

Milo,

We think a lot alike I just orderd a custom AR lower I do believe that that is going to be the next fad in ARs Custom Lowers, my new one has markings for three positions SAFE-FIRE-SHTF a Gator textured front of the mag well, a cool logo and best of all Greek lettering quoting King Leonitus translation Come and Take Them! I am also looking at Del-Ton for my parts.

I said it would be the next fad in ARs because there was a Super Genious at the gun store when I was getting my FFL stuff delt with who was ordering one from a big name company that out sources there lowers and sneared at mine? I make it a point not to debat in gun shops. What ever Dude

Edited by topmaul
ive heard of aluminum AR uppers breaking after going through few hundred rounds, or a proofing round?

Are you serious? I have never heard of this unless a reload was WAY TOO hot. There are quite a few new comers to the scene and even though I personally wouldn't buy a off brand I'm sure if its made to MIL SPEC it should be more then reliable.

I have heard of this. In EVERY instance it was a Hess/vulcan/blackthorn upper. The MD AR15 site had some actual reviews and pictures a few years ago.

The number one neglected item for cleaning and/or replacement in regular maintenance is the gas tube. The 90-degree angle at the gas block can accumulate lots of carbon and sand, but it is rare. I don't know how often mil armorers replace the gas tube, but I heard it is rare.

I haven't heard any complaints about any of them, not real complaints anyway. Just purist saying that they are unnecessary and less accurate. Both arguments are BS.

The HK416 is considered the best, but only because it is HK. It is in a limited amount of civie hands, but LWRC and POF have sold thousands with no problems. Ares Defense has the GSR-35 retrofit to convert any carbine-length system, and PWS is coming out with one this december.

There are also less popular ones like ZM Weapons, Olympic has one, and Kurt's Kustom.

They all work reliably in Full-Auto, as most were developed for that to keep the bolt cool, and increase reliability in short-barreled ARs.

Milo,

We think a lot alike I just orderd a custom AR lower I do believe that that is going to be the next fad in ARs Custom Lowers, my new one has markings for three positions SAFE-FIRE-SHTF a Gator textured front of the mag well, a cool logo and best of all Greek lettering quoting King Leonitus translation Come and Take Them! I am also looking at Del-Ton for my parts.

I said it would be the next fad in ARs because there was a Super Genious at the gun store when I was getting my FFL stuff delt with who was ordering one from a big name company that out sources there lowers and sneared at mine? I make it a point not to debat in gun shops. What ever Dude

Sounds like a Mega Machine Shop lower. I have build 2 ARs with Mega Machine Gator lowers. Hers my latest 18 inch:

DSCN4671.jpg

well its all over, i got the dpms .308 varmint with the heavy barrel.

no kick, very smooth, i like it alot so far, now if i can just get my scope tuned

kewl what specs did you get on the weapon,did you get the barrel cryo-frozen ...ect. PLZ give us a range report on your grpings I would love to hear what kind of grps you get out like 300++ yrds.