Dragunov vs Saiga .308 w/ $400 woth of extras?

I'm looking to spend $700-800 on a gun for myself for Christmas (I have a beautiful and wonderful wife). I've looked around and found several options but i tend to come back to two.

1) http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=426 This gun. FPK Dragunov Sniper Rifle, Romanian .762 x 54

2) http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=380 Or the Saiga .308 with a enough modifications and extras to match the Drag's price...

Any thoughts? Any better sources for these guns? Atlantic has been pretty friendly when i called and generally seems reputable...

Just so you know, the "Dragunov" they refer to is actually a "PSL". It's action is based on an AK, you can really tell the difference when you compare the two side-by-side. I own both, and I think the two are equally matched as far as accuracy goes. 7.62x54r ammo is MUCH cheaper and easier to find than .308, so the PSL has that going for it. If you're a bench shooter, I'd say go for the PSL. It doesn't do well for rapid-fire as the thin barrel heats up fast and starts throwing flyer's.

I will say one thing, the PSL will get you far more "oo's and aahh's" at the range. But either gun would be a good choice.

Just so you know, the "Dragunov" they refer to is actually a "PSL".
A real dragunuov costs $4000 and upward, too :)

The capitalists will do anything to make a buck (to include pulling the wool over folks' eyes).

Or the Saiga .308 with a enough modifications and extras to match the Drag's price...
Do you really need "enough modifications and extras"? It doesn't cost that much to convert a saiga, and you can use the rest of the money for ammo.

I know I really wanted a PSL for awhile, but everyone I saw was a bit rough. Considering what gun shops were charging for one in that condition, I just didn't think it was worth it. To get my "PSL", I just took your standard .308, bought the Izhmash stock, and slapped on a POSP. I'm pretty happy with my decision, but maybe when I can afford a real dragunov I'll pick one up.

post-6877-1194325244_thumb.jpg

Your options for high end ammo are much better with .308, it is a bit more spendy right now but I can bet you that x54 is not going to be around forever. Plus needing to cleaning a rifle to avoid ruining it kinda sucks, I can pay the extra money to use non corrosive.

I've got both . . . the PSL is certainly a rougher piece of work, but the 7.62x54 ammo has a lot going for it right now. (OTOH, I picked up several cases of 7.62x51 back when it was about $150 a case.) As far as fit-n-finish, the Saiga is the winner hands down. But you will have to convert the Saiga from the "sporter" configuration, so YMMV on fit-n-finish of the completed rifle.

Larry

PS: BTW, Saigas have hi-caps available. That will probably never be true for the PSL.

the romak is still a good piece from a collector's standpoint. its a must-have, but the saiga-308 is definately the winner, from what I know, have seen, and have shot. I just picked up a romak, FYI. still a great gun for the collection. I cant see it losing it's value over time, to be honest, and the saigas, well, we all know they just go up and up. (I dont have a wife, let alone a beautiful one, so some of my spare cash usually goes into my gun safe, almost as good as a roth IRA, if you ask me...)

an actual "principle arms plant made" russian dragunov? well, that I would like to see. I think the saiga 308 might give the actual drag a run for it's money....

My PSL-54c jams bolt over base 20% of the time with the matching serial numbered magazine. The bolt needs to be pulled back just enough and the cartridge will be ready again. The second magazine that did not match the serial number did not even fit. I have a 21" saiga 308 on lay away, I hope things will be better.

My PSL-54c jams bolt over base 20% of the time with the matching serial numbered magazine. The bolt needs to be pulled back just enough and the cartridge will be ready again. The second magazine that did not match the serial number did not even fit. I have a 21" saiga 308 on lay away, I hope things will be better.

I had to polish out the front of both magazines so that it wouldn't FTF. Haven't had any problems with it since, but it still puts a nice scratch down the side of the casings when it feeds rounds. Try knocking down those two little "channels" on the front of the mag.

I definately agree on fit and finish, the romy park job really sucks on the PSL. And the trigger is atrocious. I think the stock Saiga trigger would be better.

I know I really wanted a PSL for awhile, but everyone I saw was a bit rough. Considering what gun shops were charging for one in that condition, I just didn't think it was worth it. To get my "PSL", I just took your standard .308, bought the Izhmash stock, and slapped on a POSP. I'm pretty happy with my decision, but maybe when I can afford a real dragunov I'll pick one up.

What's that rifle left of the Garand?

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you check the fit of the stock on the PSL - I am 6'2" and it doesn't fit me at all - when you put the scope on you have to contort your body / head to shoot it from a bench or rest position.

"Contort" -> In what way? If the stocks too short, try one of these: http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPa...57b64a933dac96e. Extends the "pull" and greatly reduces the recoil. If the scope is in the wrong place, try a different clamp on you mount. (Or a weaver-style mount, so you can put the scope where you want it.)

YMMV,

Larry