I've seen these before and always thought they were interesting. So anyone know the scoop on these: Reliable? Accurate?
Surprisingly accurate. They've got 16" barrels and will do their part if you do your part. My dad had one when I was a kid and I don't recall it ever having any reliability issues.

I have one of the newer AR 7 Industry guns with the long vented barrel shroud and the metal tube T stock.I mounted a 4 power scope, wraped the stock in paracord and put a AR buttpad on the end. Its a survival gun so dont expect 1/2" groups @ 50yds..It is what it is.I take it with me sometimes while walking the dogs in the woods,its very light wieght and easy to carry.Only problem i have had is finding hi cap mags that actual work :( ,the stock 7 rd? work fine...gun looks pretty cool also!

AR-7

The classic survival rifle. More info

ar74ir5.jpg

ar71fn7.jpg

ar73qg9.jpg

They are fairly reliable and they float when dropped in the water. (good boat gun)

i have one of these henry survival rifles, didnt know it floated, but other than the ocaccinal jam, the worst part is trying to chamber the first round very stiff and theres nothing to grip with your finger, so it can hurt to try and chamber the first round by hand, i use the other mag to chamber, though its very accurate for open sights at long range at a target the size of a wagon (about 80-100 yards)

post-6708-1194581821_thumb.jpg

a kid I grew up with had one, that we would hunt squirrel and rabbits with. fun little gun, everyone should really have one of them, just for their uniqueness. EXCELLENT boat, truck, atv gun. Ill probably pick one up eventually, myself.

I am pretty sure, if memory serves me right, that 5 or 6 companies made them over the years.

AR-7

The classic survival rifle. More info

ar74ir5.jpg

ar71fn7.jpg

ar73qg9.jpg

They are fairly reliable and they float when dropped in the water. (good boat gun)

i have one of these henry survival rifles, didnt know it floated, but other than the ocaccinal jam, the worst part is trying to chamber the first round very stiff and theres nothing to grip with your finger, so it can hurt to try and chamber the first round by hand, i use the other mag to chamber, though its very accurate for open sights at long range at a target the size of a wagon (about 80-100 yards)

The oversized stock keeps it above water. This was one of the selling features of them back in the 80's when I was looking at them. I decided I didn't need another .22 so I passed. I have not heard of any problems with them and the guys I know that have them like them just fine.

I have had a Charter Arms AR-7 for MANY years. It is a classic Stoner design-it works extremely well if clean. Since the entire weapon stores in the stock it stays clean.

The bolt has a pull out pin for cycling. They are sensitive to mags, mine does not like Henry mads, and I hear the Henry's don't like Charter Arms mags.

After a brick or 2 of ammo the action will jam untill cleaned. The action should always be cleaned and lubed (synthetic motor oil) before long term storage. If put away dirty they are prone to jamming

when you try to use it months or years later. Cleaning the action is a bit tricky,mine has two pins that look identical but do not interchange. However the only tools needed are a multi-tool.

ALSO DANGER DANGER DANGER THE SAFTY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED. The weapon will discharge if it is dropped on it's left side, or even placed on a hard surface roughly,with the safety on.

carry it with an empty chamber.

This is a MUST have piece. It has no competition, it is alone in it's niche. It fits in a day pack, it's light as it can be, You can throw it in you'r boat or under the seat in you'r truck.

It floats-if you drop it in water it is the only thing you can probably recover. Since it comes apart and goes into the stock it is NOT a weapon when carried that way.

Even when the punk-assed officer says he was "afraid for his safety" The judge will laugh at his ass when he sees the butstock-and that is all. If they assemble it for the trial, you'r lawyer can object that they are manufacturing evidence.

It's not a target rifle-but is reasonably accurate- and you can take places you would never take a regular rifle.

Put it in you'r day pack when hiking. If you can't get back to camp or you'r car-a rabbit or squirrell beats going hungry!

Carry it in you'r boat. I bought mine after nearly being killed by some drunken asshole that kept trying to run over the 14' Whaler I was in with his ski boat. We had to run over a sandbar to get away

A couple rounds into his twin Jonhsons would have made me feel much better!

Self defense isn't everything. Your Saiga or AK will get you out of town but it is loud and the ammo will be quite precious to conserve.

You'r bug-out bag should have one of these and a brick of ammo. That will feed you and your's for at least a year! And do it quietly if you have any street smarts.