Chrome lining is specced by governments for military use. Chrome is a bit more forgiving if it's not cleaned properly after using corrosive ammo (not likely in the US) and also after heavy usage of the 'fun switch'.

Chrome lining in the barrel also reduces accuracy.

For a civilian AR, imho, a non-chromed barrel is fine.

Chrome lining is what I would get if it was a SHTF gun, depends on what you are goign to use it for. There is a reason chromed bore is milspec. Also, I think chromed bolt assemblies are worth the extra buck in reduced maintenance time. Yeah, building your own is fun, lets you learn about how the system works and to do basic maintenance/repair. I buy my kits from Model 1 Sales and have been happy with them so far. Stag lower receivers have served me well too. Stay away from Olympic Arms lower receivers as the do not drop the magazine. On magazines spend the extra money and get MagPul followers or just buy MagPul magazines, high reliability.

I just got some parts in the mail today for my AR that I'm building. :D I've got the entire lower all built, and I have to wait a few paychecks to get the upper. :cryss: It's disgusting how expensive AR parts are! I've been around the house all evening, and whenever I sit down, my lower is on my lap and I'm thumbing the safety and the mag release and stuff, getting the feel for it. :smoke: It's gonna be awesome when I finish it. I'm already planning on refinishing it in either multicam or desert digital.

Specs:

Lower - Doublestar from a fun show

Lower parts kit - DPMS with single stage trigger

Stock - Command Arms Acc. CBS

Planned upper:

Uppar - VLTOR MUR with forward assist

Barrel - 1:7 Chrome lined 16" M4 profile with Carbine length gas

Handguard - Midwest Industries Free float carbine length

Acer

Oh, I'm gonna get the upper from CMMG, Inc. and I've gotten parts from PK Firearms, and Del-Ton, Inc. and Bravo Company, all with excellent results.

Edited by acer_saiga308
Chrome lining is what I would get if it was a SHTF gun, depends on what you are goign to use it for. There is a reason chromed bore is milspec. Also, I think chromed bolt assemblies are worth the extra buck in reduced maintenance time. Yeah, building your own is fun, lets you learn about how the system works and to do basic maintenance/repair. I buy my kits from Model 1 Sales and have been happy with them so far. Stag lower receivers have served me well too. Stay away from Olympic Arms lower receivers as the do not drop the magazine. On magazines spend the extra money and get MagPul followers or just buy MagPul magazines, high reliability.

I have not had that problem with Olympic arms not dropping the mags. Is this something new or do you think the mag release button just needed to be backed out a couple of turns?

I have not had that problem with Olympic arms not dropping the mags. Is this something new or do you think the mag release button just needed to be backed out a couple of turns?

Nope had this issue on several of their lowers, and it is not the release button. The magwell is too short fore to aft and rubs ont eh magazine body. It does not happen with every receiver they make but enough to make me not buy their stuff again. Their barrels are supposed to be top notch though.

So Model 1 Sales is decent? I've heard conflicting reports.

I'm either going with them or Del-Ton.

I have been satisfied with em over all, made several builds using their kits and Stag lowers. They function well and are decent price. They claim the barrels they use come from ER Shaw. I had one problem with a M4 type carbine utilizing a picatinny gas block which was canted a couple of degrees off center when assembled. This was an easy fix as it was the model held on by bolts, just loosened the bolts timed the gas block correctly and problem was solved.

Any opinion on the RRA 2 Stage Trigger? How are stock AR triggers?

The RRA 2 Stage Trigger is the most redily found trigger upgrade out there. For a mass produced trigger it is very good and, if you are not a do it yourselfer, IMO, it is money well spent.

That said, it is mass produced and some are outstanding, most of them are good, and a few are not. RRA has a very good exchange/repair poilcy on them, if they do go down. Their are two things that can go wrong with the RRA 2 Stage Trigger.

1) The amount of engagement between the disconnector and the disconnector stop.

* Too much engagement means that the trigger is creepy.

* Too little engagement means that the trigger is single stage, not two stage.

Neither of these things are unsafe, just part of the design of the trigger. You can work the rear of the disconnector, to create more engagement, thereby giving yourself a two stage trigger, but if the trigger is creepy from too much engagement, that is just part of the fact the trigger is non-adjustable. To remove the creep, you would need to take it to a good smith.

2) The peened pin that holds the disconnector to the trigger can, in rare instances, work itself loose. When this occurs, you are the proud owner of a club, because on the RRA trigger design the disconnector is NOT held place by the trigger pin. This is more imagined then real, but since RRA has sold over 10,000 2 Stage Triggers as a stand alone product, plus all the ones that came with their complete rifles, this issue does crop up from time to time.

You can prevent #2 from ever happening by:

A) Press fitting a hardened tool steel pin 0.093" x 0.625" to replace the factory one.

B) Paying Steve @ ADCO Firearms $10 to do it for you.

Hope this was helpful.

So far I have the following,

SNS Lower on order,

Olympic single stage trigger and parts kit.

Saving up for an Olympic K-16 complete upper,

Stock is going to be A2 type

Optic will be a Cobra,

will put flip up front and rear at some point.

So far I have the following,

SNS Lower on order,

Olympic single stage trigger and parts kit.

Saving up for an Olympic K-16 complete upper,

Stock is going to be A2 type

Optic will be a Cobra,

will put flip up front and rear at some point.

The A2 stock might be a bit too long for some scenarios. You might be better served getting a new A1 stock from Cavalry Arms.

Not sure where you would get an A1 tube if you went with the A1 stock. Cavalry Arms makes the stock but not the tube from what I can tell. I am partial to the A2 and MagPul CBR stocks myself. I highly recommend the CAA modular AR grip, really comfy.

Not sure where you would get an A1 tube if you went with the A1 stock. Cavalry Arms makes the stock but not the tube from what I can tell. I am partial to the A2 and MagPul CBR stocks myself. I highly recommend the CAA modular AR grip, really comfy.

A1 and A2 use the same tube.

If you use an A2 stock, you need to buy a spacer and an A2 screw to accomodate the extra 5/8".

Bushmaster sells both, as a set, for $6.50.

You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but this should get you started in your search.

A1 and A2 use the same tube.

If you use an A2 stock, you need to buy a spacer and an A2 screw to accomodate the extra 5/8".

Bushmaster sells both, as a set, for $6.50.

You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but this should get you started in your search.

Thanks, I may just get an A1 stock to trade in on my dissipitator carbine. I need to convert it to single point sling anyway.

I would highly recommend anyone building a standard AR to just go cheap as possible, if your gonna go high dollar start investing in gas piston AR's, much more reliable and easy to clean, basically does what a glock does but in AR form, many high end companies are scrapping the standard gas system, ex- LWRC does not sell ANY standard systems anymore, all their old stuff went clearance for the new gas piston systems, POF produces for bushmaster, colt is messing around with a system, and more companies are 2 follow....so just my 2 cents, and I have also heard Mod 1 to be less then great on product AND service.

I'd love to get into an AR in the near future, maybe with some money from my tax return (which I just filed online today :D ), is there that much money to be saved by building yourself? I know it all depends on what you want, and accessories and all. But I would just be looking for a basic AR with iron sights. I know I wouldn't be able to shoot it that much, due to ammo prices, but I've always wanted an AR, plus it's like a piece of Americana :super: .

Edit to add: I'm talking about getting a complete upper, and complete lower, not a parts kit. Also, if I were to get a complete 5.56 lower, would a 7.62x39 upper be "plug & play"? I would start out with a regular 5.56 upper, but maybe add a 7.62x39 later on.

Edited by 22_Shooter

If you want a really cheap AR go to CMMG and get their trunk gun deal, otherwise spike's tactical makes a cheap high qaulity carbine and if you look hard enough, i've seen complete DPMS guns for 725 from discount retailers (new)

Edited by Vultite
If you want a really cheap AR go to CMMG and get their trunk gun deal, otherwise spike's tactical makes a cheap high qaulity carbine and if you look hard enough, i've seen complete DPMS guns for 725 from discount retailers (new)

I've seen the CMMG "bargain bin" AR's, maybe that is the ticket for me. From what I've read, people that have ordered them have been satisfied and received rifles far better than they were expecting. As far as the Spikes Tactical, the cheapest I found on their site was $850, seems about norm for good AR's, no? If so, that's not cheap enough for me :( . So I think my best bet is the CMMG or buy one piece by piece.

Shit! I just googled for a bit, looking for more reviews on the bargain bin AR's from CMMG. I ended up at ARFCOM, in the Equipment Exchange, in the thread specifically for these rifles listed by CMMG themselves. There was a guy from NY asking a ton of questions to CMMG about NY legal stuff, and it looks like I'm outta luck as far as these ones go. All the bargain bin rifles come with a telescoping stock: illegal in NY, and a removable FH: illegal if not permanent. Then CMMG said they offer no mods to the rifles when the guy asked if they could do away with the FS and telescoping stock before shipping it out :cryss: .

Just finished building mine.

Bushmaster Gas Piston Upper (screw DI, I'll spare the extra money so I don't have to clean it as much)

RRA Lower

RRA Lower Parts Kit

Magpul CTR Stock

Magpul PMAG

Tritium Night Sights

Shamrock Grip Plate (To snaz it up)

p1090001da8.jpg

All in all I'd say it was as easy to build an AR15 from a stripped lower as convert a Saiga 308.

Good God do ARs have a buttload of tiny little parts and springs to lose or fling across the room.

Taking it out to the range this weekend.

Just finished building mine.

Bushmaster Gas Piston Upper (screw DI, I'll spare the extra money so I don't have to clean it as much)

RRA Lower

RRA Lower Parts Kit

Magpul CTR Stock

Magpul PMAG

Tritium Night Sights

Shamrock Grip Plate (To snaz it up)

p1090001da8.jpg

All in all I'd say it was as easy to build an AR15 from a stripped lower as convert a Saiga 308.

Good God do ARs have a buttload of tiny little parts and springs to lose or fling across the room.

Taking it out to the range this weekend.

Nice! Love the shamrock.

This place: http://akpartskits.com/ has some pretty good prices on AR kits. I bought one of their $399 M4gery kits last month, and it assembled and worked just fine on one of my spare DPMS lowers. Pretty nice having a M4 type for $500 :)

Of course, then I took it back apart and installed a steel gas block, long free float forend, F2 comp, JP trigger...darn Legoguns!

Alex

This place: http://akpartskits.com/ has some pretty good prices on AR kits. I bought one of their $399 M4gery kits last month, and it assembled and worked just fine on one of my spare DPMS lowers. Pretty nice having a M4 type for $500 :)

Of course, then I took it back apart and installed a steel gas block, long free float forend, F2 comp, JP trigger...darn Legoguns!

Alex

On the front page it says it is the Blackthorne product website. I thought Blackthorne was one of the bad three? Vulcan Hesse and Blackthorne. At least that's what I heard over on barfcom... I'm really curious because they have really cheap uppers (which just happens to be all that remains to complete my first AR). I was saving up for a VLTOR MUR setup on CMMG, but that's upwards of $600, and I may have to just get a cheap one and plan on getting a better upper later.

Oh, I know it's a dead horse, but what's the range of usable bullet weights for 1:7 and 1:9 barrels? I seem to get 3 different answers every thread I read about it.

Thanks!

Acer

I have only run a few hundred rounds through this upper...no idea how it will hold up. However, it arrived headspaced correctly and everything except the front sight assembly looked OK (the A-frame wasn't cleaned up as well as I would have liked). I've had bad parts from Vulcan (undersized gas ports and a gas block misaligned), but over the years I've had bad parts from everyone.

I prefer Sabre and DPMS parts and like Olympic barrels, but not all of the folks I build guns want to spend money. I figure I'll shoot this kit until it melts or I get bored :)

Alex