"AK-47 Mag Change - Gunsite Style"

"If your AK magazine has run dry, and a threat is still nearby, here's a technique to decrease the time required for a magazine change. With the gun in the level, fighting position, remove the support hand from the fore-end and retrieve a spare magazine. Keep the index finger mounted high on the spare, and use the upper portion of the magazine [the photo shows the upper front portion] to push forward on the magazine release lever, which will allow the empty magazine to drop free. Insert the loaded magazine deep into the magazine well, with the flange at the front of the magazine hooked inside the receiver, and then roll it rearward to lock. Sway the magazine to verify it is secured, tilt the gun so its loading port [i.e., ejection port] is facing the ground and, with the weak hand from beneath, cycle the action."

Aaron Carter, 'American Rifleman,' Jan. 2008, pg. 26

I had not considered tilting the gun so that the ejection port faced the ground and using my left hand to cycle the action from underneath. I am not sure that would be faster for me, but I will play around with it and give it a try.

I have always when over the top, but then I have large hands and long arms.

• Like 1
I had not considered tilting the gun so that the ejection port faced the ground and using my left hand to cycle the action from underneath. I am not sure that would be faster for me, but I will play around with it and give it a try.

I have always when over the top, but then I have large hands and long arms.

The other thing is, if you shoot left-handed, you wouldn't have to tilt it (unless that's a good habit to get into, for clearing jams). Lately, I've noticed my eyesight has changed to the point (because I'm a gray-haired-old-fart ;>) that I can see better with my left eye, so maybe it's time for me to start shooting 'lefty'...

I have always when over the top...

Cycling under sounds crazy to me. Over the top, the mag isn't in your way. Also the rotation is more comfortable for the right wrist.

Edited by BobAsh
I have always when over the top...

Cycling under sounds crazy to me. Over the top, the mag isn't in your way. Also the rotation is more comfortable for the right wrist.

Ok boys here it is in action. A russian special ops doin it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgH6tHgyvY

An American showing the move

Edited to post second vid.

Edited by ar15pistolpimp

The Russian is so dang fast I can barely see what he's doing - but he's obviously dumping the empty before he reaches for a replacement mag. The American grabs a loaded mag first, and uses it to press the mag release & drop the empty mag. To each his own!

;>)

When I do the "Gunsite Style" reload, I use the mag I'm reloading with to hit the edge of the magazine in the gun (to preload it to make sure that it drops out of the mag "opening") then roll the magazine against the mag release.

That way the mag always drops out.

If I don't preload the empty mag, it sometimes sticks in the receiver and I have to push it out with my hand.

Because I shoot 3-Gun a couple of times a month, I find that my method gives me a more consistent reload.

Edited by oldandslow

The Russian is so dang fast I can barely see what he's doing - but he's obviously dumping the empty before he reaches for a replacement mag. The American grabs a loaded mag first, and uses it to press the mag release & drop the empty mag. To each his own!

;>)

now that I look at the russian video a little closer, I dont think hes reloading a AK47, I think is a AK74 look at the front brake and the mags look skinny. I wonder if they load a but easier.

now that I look at the russian video a little closer, I dont think hes reloading a AK47, I think is a AK74 look at the front brake and the mags look skinny. I wonder if they load a but easier.
It's the same technique for all AKs.