I have a VEPR 308 that I bought recently, that suprisingly, has a quartersawn buttstock on it. See picture. Right now, the factory finish is just a waxed type of stain, from the looks of it, or lack of anything but stain, or whathave you. I took a picture to show you all what Im looking at, and what Im pondering.

I may (should) be able to greatly enhance the grain of the wood. the forearm isnt from the same piece of the tree, but I am considering taking a bit of time to properly apply a french wax/polish to it, which is actually a laquer finish of a sort. it is fairly time consuming to do by hand, and I am unsure of if it will enhance the wood grain or not.

I am also concerned that it would devaule the originalness of the gun, but it should nevertheless be an improvement to it.

What do you guys think?

p.s. - apprantly, my camera skills are off nowadays, sorry about the focus if you zoom in on the pictures. you get the idea though....

post-83-1200530838.jpg

post-83-1200530885.jpg

Looks like a nice piece of wood...don't change it unless you plan to not sell or don't care if it devalues the weapon a little.

Original furniture no matter how it looks or is finished I believe retains if not enhances value...unless you find a way to put a Choate or some other high end wood on it.

oh, I would be REAL happy to find a forearm that halfway matches it....

btw, its not stained, I checked about 1/2 hour ago. ...no, I didnt hurt it.....

its definately burled walnut

by the way, this poll assumes I know what I am doing with wood and guns......I am not asking for pointers, just if I should or shouldnt upgrade the finish on the wood...

I already can do this, Im just wondering if you guys think its worthwhile spending my time on it, is all....

Edited by Bvamp

bvamp if I can make a suggestion for option 2?

Take the wood off, pack it up and send to BRG3 and see if he can make a replica which you can then finish to your heart's content. I agree that's a crappy finish and that wood looks like it has some potential. I'd hate to see it devalued though because it's no longer stock.

Well I have a ruger that I bought because of the walnut on it. Cant see it in the picture I just took really, but you get an idea. The whole thing is that you CAN see it because of the finish on the wood. the vepr, you have to really look for it at the right angle to see it right now, and I know I can bring that out at least a little better, if not a lot with SOME KIND of finish, nevermind the type of finish Im pondering applying. I figure this furniture would take a couple of days to get to a point where I can put the final polish coat on it, and it should come out really good and vivid.

Im seeing that you guys are thinking like me here, in that Im still unsure what to do, and you guys seem to be divided on the devalueing factor. I have to think on it some more.

Would greatly appreciate more comments on this from you all....

post-83-1200583606.jpg

I think its amazing wood... if you can make that same wood even MORE amazing... go for it... Otherwise, I would leave well enough alone... Simple as that.

I agree with the "resale value" ideas... It will resell for what almost ANY VEPR will resell for regardless of what you do to it, as long as its not fucked up. ( See my statement above)

Have at it.

:smoke:

• 2 years later...