Hey Guys,

I'm looking to join the Saiga club and would like some advise.

The prices at ClassicArms look pretty good but I don't know which caliber to buy.

This will be my first long gun and I plan to use it for a target/SHTF gun. So what do you guys think,

• 7.62 X .39

They have .410 and .20 but I want to hold out until I can find a Saiga 12 later this year. For now I want a rifle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

PC

PS - Great forum!! I've been lurking for a while

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to join the Saiga club and would like some advise.

The prices at ClassicArms look pretty good but I don't know which caliber to buy.

This will be my first long gun and I plan to use it for a target/SHTF gun. So what do you guys think,

• 7.62 X .39

They have .410 and .20 but I want to hold out until I can find a Saiga 12 later this year. For now I want a rifle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

PC

PS - Great forum!! I've been lurking for a while

Well ammo wise, the x39 would be cheaper and more plentiful mag capability. But if you want to target shoot, people like the .223 for it's more accurate traits. Sooner or later, you'll probably have them all, so just pick one to buy first :D . Welcome to the forum, btw.

first long gun? well, 223 or x39 then.

do you hunt? or how much are you into guns? handgun guy? the 308 is quite a weapon.

You will want one of each. for the price of one of your Sigs, you can have all three, or close enough.

BUY A SAIGA12, by the way. trust me, you wont sell it, and if you do, you obivously have another one to take it's place.

first long gun? well, 223 or x39 then.

do you hunt? or how much are you into guns? handgun guy? the 308 is quite a weapon.

You will want one of each. for the price of one of your Sigs, you can have all three, or close enough.

BUY A SAIGA12, by the way. trust me, you wont sell it, and if you do, you obivously have another one to take it's place.

once you buy one you cant stopppppppp,its a addiction!my advice buy them all

yes just pick one you will own the rest shortly

+1 if you buy one then you will say,"this thing is 10 times better than I expected" and then as cheap as it is you could buy one in every "flavor" and still not have spent enough to buy an M1A or top shelf AR15 and have sturdier rifles to boot;)

Mine each serve a purpose.

12ga:In my house and out to the street,strictly social purposes,I only keep half a dozen mags for it and wouldn't even run back into the house to get it if it was time for a hasty Relo where seconds count.

7.62x39: UO in my suburban AO,high volume,moderate pack weight,stops cars(in case zombies learn to drive) and gets through medium cover(like wood,crick,etc).

308 Win: Finally in the bushes and needing to keep some distance between me and the zombies or take some meat for the tribe.Requires a static base camp or operating out of a well stocked BOV(bug out vehicle) due to weight constraints.

223 Rem:When it's all gone south and I have to bug out with what I can hump there is no way you can carry enough of anything bigger to get you through zombieland on foot.My loadouts all weight the same and the 223 Reminton has twice as many available rounds in the same weight as my 308 Win.It would be my last choice for effectiveness but so would the circumstances in which I would choose it over the others but it is very,very accurate and could take deer in a pinch.

I also have a serious lightweight urban zombie bugout rig in my car but it's a 9mm AR15 with close to 40 magazines loaded with Winchester Ranger 115gr +p+ so I will leave that blasphemy out of this honorable Kalashnikonversation

:smoke:

• 1 month later...

SOPMOD has his bases covered pretty well methinks.

I ordered the x39 because I figure it's the best compromise. Cheap ammo, heavy enough to legally hunt deer anywhere I can think of that allows rifles, not so heavy that you can't carry a decent amount. Also, where I live, long shots are the exception rather than the rule- if I lived in the flatlands somewhere I might be singing a different tune. I do have some experience with a .308 winchester, and it is a wonderful thing indeed.

The 12 is the last of his list that I'd buy, not because it wouldn't ROCK, but because I already have a 12 bore pump gun that I like a lot.

My Saiga will be my go-to for anything except HD, 7.62 seemed a better choice than 5.56 but you'll get many different opinions on this and I sure don't claim to know the right answer for anybody but me.

Seeing people that are such fans of the rifles has me feeling pretty good about my order :)

I picked a 7.62x39 simply because of ammo prices. I can get 1000 rds of Wolf for under $200 while 500 rds of .223 will cost almost $150. The thing that discouraged me from buying a S308 was the price of ammo and the mags. At least with a 7.62x39, its relatively common (im guessing) in a SHTF scenario.

As for the S12, its illegal in PRK so that means i have to leave and move to Texas or Nevada.

• 2 weeks later...