Does anyone NOT convert their Saigas?

I kind of like the way mine looks as is. I bought it as an inexpensive but reliable and rugged varmint/plinking rifle, and don't really need hi cap mags either, so I see no reason to convert mine. I plan on using that money to buy ammo.

Am I the only one who has no plans (at least yet) to convert their Saiga?

I feel lonely.

I kind of like the way mine looks as is. I bought it as an inexpensive but reliable and rugged varmint/plinking rifle, and don't really need hi cap mags either, so I see no reason to convert mine. I plan on using that money to buy ammo.

Am I the only one who has no plans (at least yet) to convert their Saiga?

I feel lonely.

I bought mine with no plans to convert it, but now plan to do so. I just have to wait until I have the time.

Hey, it's your gun, do whatever you want to it, or nothing at all. I don't think you're alone, but a lot of people here are here because they want info on converting. So I'm sure there are many people who just bought a Saiga and didn't care to convert, so they never look up info on it, and find this place. One thing you do miss out on when not converting, is getting rid of that cruddy factory FCG. But Dinzag does sell them for unconverted Saigas ( found here ), if you would like to improve the trigger. My recommendation: Keep the one you have, unconverted. Then buy another one to convert :super: .

My recommendation: Keep the one you have, unconverted. Then buy another one to convert :super: .

Not likely. I've already bought 5 guns within the past year. I don't think I can justify another of the same kind to the wife anytime soon.

Fair enough, but I would still recommend the FCG I linked in my earlier post, at Dinzags site. The G2 compared to the factory trigger is like night and day.

Well saigas are a good way to do a AK build, it is about the same price when it's all said and done and you have a new barrel.

I have seen people hunting with stock saigas, so they are out there. Logically someone who is just going to hunt with the rifle is not going to have much to talk about regarding the rifle (no "will this work" topics).

Most of us convert to us hi-cap mags legally and/or PG, I never really 'converted' mine, I just use USA 30 rd. mags and USA PG stock to make it legal.

I like the true conversion, and I'm doing it on the next x39.... My Idea is to get the guns & ammo BEFORE they take that right away...can u say 'obama' or 'hillary'...???

I don't have a lot of interest in doing a pistol grip conversion but would like to be able to use 20 round mags and have a flash suppresor. Sounds like the G2 FCG is a good mod also. Is this do-able?

I have no desire to convert my saiga. I like it the way it is, and I got a great deal on magazines - 8 for 100. 10rnds is ok for me... i have ARs and FALs if I want lots of capacity.

However, I do want a new stock. My hand isn't comfortable at all with the crappy hollow stock.

I don't have a lot of interest in doing a pistol grip conversion but would like to be able to use 20 round mags and have a flash suppresor. Sounds like the G2 FCG is a good mod also. Is this do-able?

Definitely doable. You just have to follow 922r regulations when you put on that flash hider, or stick in that 20 round math (both bring your Saiga out of the factory "sporter" configuration). Get the G2 made for unconverted configuration (I have a link in the 3rd post down from the top). That's 3 U.S. made parts, then either get some U.S. made handguards, or a gas piston, both of which are 1 part, bringing you down to 10 foreign parts. Make sure your flash hider is U.S. made, and you're good to go. You can use any kinda mag you want then.

Definitely doable. You just have to follow 922r regulations when you put on that flash hider, or stick in that 20 round math (both bring your Saiga out of the factory "sporter" configuration). Get the G2 made for unconverted configuration (I have a link in the 3rd post down from the top). That's 3 U.S. made parts, then either get some U.S. made handguards, or a gas piston, both of which are 1 part, bringing you down to 10 foreign parts. Make sure your flash hider is U.S. made, and you're good to go. You can use any kinda mag you want then.

Excellent information. Thanks!

So if I replace four import parts with US parts I'm good to go so long as the FH is US or just go without the FH.

Excellent information. Thanks!

So if I replace four import parts with US parts I'm good to go so long as the FH is US or just go without the FH.

No problem.

Yup, a stock Saiga has 14 "countable" parts. Just bring that # down to 10 or less, by replacing with U.S. made parts, and you're set.

Hello

Here is my Saiga with some new clothes.

So that is an unconverted Saiga? I just bought my Saiga at the gun show this last weekend because I had researched a little into them and figured it was just like an AK (hadnt gotten that far into my research!!) Now I find out it will take quite a bit of work to convert it to an "AK" type rifle and its just not something I think I can do, nor have the tools to do at my house. I just dont know what to do, I simply wouldnt mind changing the stock to a pistol grip, but cant find anything in a collapsible form with a pistol grip, to bring me in closer to the trigger for a more comfortable firing postion?

What exactly is that stock, forend, and what side scope mount have you used?

Hello

My stock is an M-4 type with pistol grip. I bought it from SaigaStocks.com for around $80. When I researching for the stocks Saigastocks had about 19 listed as in stock and then within a week they were all gone.

Now the forward handguard came from Tapco as the Galil style for a Saiga but it is going back to Tapco this week. The forward retainer for the lower handguard came loose about ten times this weekend while we were at the range. I am going to switch to the traditional AK forwward handguards which will include a new gas piston and a clamp on lower retainer from Danzig.

Now the scope mount I bought off Amazon.com looking AK parts. It only has the rail on the top of the mount but I was surprised when I received the box that it was made for Saiga rifles. It slides into place & is held in place with 3 set screws. I think for $19 it was a good deal.

Here is a picture of my wife firing the Saiga

post-9422-1203382718_thumb.jpg

I bought mine last month. It's a 7.62 with 16" barrel and the skeleton stock. I thought I was just getting a cheap russian made AK-knock off, and then I found this site. I love the stock configuration of this rifle. However, I'm going to get another one as soon as possible and do a full conversion.

Hello

Do not plan on converting any of the internal functioning of the Saiga at this time but I have not yet fired the rifle.

I did add a new stock & forward handgrip to make the rifle look like an AK.

Kevin, what stock and grip is that and did you have to do any cutting or did it just bolt up, thanks.