No gunsmithing 922r compliance-DONE

post-6358-1205211140_thumb.jpg Here is my 922r-compliant Saiga. :devil: I bought the Tapco modified stock from saigastock.com for $99, and the Master Molder U.S.-made 30 round mag for $11.95 from CDNN. No gunsmithing required, and I'm into the whole setup for under $400...which is less than I would have had to spend on a WASR-10 and I've got a waaay nicer gun. The scope mount is a Kalinka high-rise that I can see under to use the iron sights, topped off with an NC Star reflex sight. Now that I have a 922r compliant peice in the safe, I can buy another Saiga, grow a pair of balls, and try my hand at a full FCG conversion! :super:
post-6358-1205211140_thumb.jpg Here is my 922r-compliant Saiga. :devil: I bought the Tapco modified stock from saigastock.com for $99, and the Master Molder U.S.-made 30 round mag for $11.95 from CDNN. No gunsmithing required, and I'm into the whole setup for under $400...which is less than I would have had to spend on a WASR-10 and I've got a waaay nicer gun. The scope mount is a Kalinka high-rise that I can see under to use the iron sights, topped off with an NC Star reflex sight. Now that I have a 922r compliant peice in the safe, I can buy another Saiga, grow a pair of balls, and try my hand at a full FCG conversion! :super:

nicely done sir. I'm just going to swap out my gas piston and get surefire mags for my .308.....simple compliance.

now....grow that set of nuts and get another one....then covert.....it actually is not hard, kinda fun to dig into....

that feeling of success when it is all done just ROCKS!

I know how you feel about the conversion, I just cant bring myself to do it on the ONE/ONLY rifle that I own for SHTF!! I bought the HiCap mags and for now just dont give a rat's ass about compliance. I did however order a lower handguard retainer and upper gas tube from Dinzag, and tomorrow will be mailing out a check for some walnut Upper/Lower handguards from IronWoodDesigns.com. That should put me compliant on one gun at least, I hope to pick up another Saiga in the next few weeks to help stimulate the economy LOL!!

so if the PG is "part of" the buttstock then you don't add it as a 15th part?

b/c if that was the case you would need to change something else as well right?

If I understand it correctly, it doesn't matter if it counts as an extra part or not if it is American made (and the high cap mag and buttstock are as well).

If you now have 15 parts, but the mag counts as 3, the pistol grip as 1, and the buttstock as 1, it's still 15-3-1-1=10.

Do I have this correct?

Also, you can no longer use the original Saiga mags with the pistol grip now, unless you change 3 more parts, right?

Edited by MortalWombat

If I understand it correctly, it doesn't matter if it counts as an extra part or not if it is American made (and the high cap mag and buttstock are as well).

If you now have 15 parts, but the mag counts as 3, the pistol grip as 1, and the buttstock as 1, it's still 15-3-1-1=10.

Do I have this correct?

Also, you can no longer use the original Saiga mags with the pistol grip now, unless you change 3 more parts, right?

i'm a newb so ??? i like this idea though for the no tinkering inclined such as myself

Do I have this correct?

i'm a newb so ??? i like this idea though for the no tinkering inclined such as myself

keep in mind:

You never ADD a number to your parts count unless it is a FOREIGN part.

Do I have this correct?

Adding a US made pistol grip won't take away 1 foreign point, because Saigas don't have them to begin with.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Hey

I got word from Dinzag that my lower retainer shipped yesterday along with the AK-74 flash suppressor. So I will thread the barrel when the tap-Die set arrives. Here is mine right now. The only other thing I am thinking about at this time is a bipod.

post-9422-1205433638_thumb.jpg

Do I have this correct?

You are correct, the pistol grip doesnt affect the overall parts count because it is US made, so as long as I use the US-made mags only, I am in compliance. That does mean that the factory 10 round mag is no longer legal, but I could care less since I dont use this gun for hunting. If for some reason I did want to use the 10 rounder, I would just bolt the factory stock back on first. I like the fact that if our worst nightmare comes to pass and a new AWB causes hicap mags to be banned nationwide, I can still restore this gun to factory configuration. A 10 round AK is better than no AK at all.

Hey

I got word from Dinzag that my lower retainer shipped yesterday along with the AK-74 flash suppressor. So I will thread the barrel when the tap-Die set arrives. Here is mine right now. The only other thing I am thinking about at this time is a bipod.

What magnification is that scope?

i am using a 3-9x40 and i like it but it is a little big on the gun...

post-9942-1205555148_thumb.jpg

Does the stock with telescoping and pistol grip count as two parts? The parts list for 922® counts the butt stock and pistol grip as two parts. What about the fact that they are attached to each other?

I want to clarify the issue regarding the factory magazines. You do not need to worry about compliance if you have the rifle converted (say you have this particular stock, counting up to 15 parts) and you want to use the 10-round magazine. Remember, the 10-round magazine is what makes it a sporting configuration, so it would not matter what the parts count you have UNLESS you have other non-sporting features on this rifle.

Simply said, I have a US-made gas piston and Pro-mag magazines (counts as 3 US parts) for a total of 4 US parts. If I put my factory magazines in, I'm in compliance anyway because that is the allowed configuration. Adding in more than two nonsporting features (pistol grip, flash hider, etc.) would require you to keep the foreign parts count down. Even US-made hi-cap mags would require the conversion.

If you have a sporting configuration, you can always replace foreign parts with duplicate US-made parts and still be in sporting configuration.

No easy way to explain this, I see...

Wittenmeyer

• 2 months later...

Wow, all this parts count stuff can be REALLY confusing. I'm adding a G2 FCG and Tapco Galil front hand grip. Now, if my count is correct, I should be down to 10 parts as it stands and my Promag 10 rnd mags also count as three so I am now down to 7 USA parts out of the 14 I started with on my x39?

Now question 2, I have a front mounted picatinny rail mounted (UTG) and a UTG side scope mount with an Eotech red dot and a NcStar green laser mounted on that. Have I actually added 3 more import parts to my parts count? My Eotech is USA made thanks god! Help!

post-10790-1212006298.jpg

I'm adding a G2 FCG and Tapco Galil front hand grip. Now, if my count is correct, I should be down to 10 parts as it stands and my Promag 10 rnd mags also count as three so I am now down to 7 USA parts out of the 14 I started with on my x39?

Yup. The G2 and Tapco front handguard will give you 4 US made parts, bringing you down to 10. So you're already set with that, the US mags are just icing on the cake.

Now question 2, I have a front mounted picatinny rail mounted (UTG) and a UTG side scope mount with an Eotech red dot and a NcStar green laser mounted on that. Have I actually added 3 more import parts to my parts count? My Eotech is USA made thanks god! Help![/b]

UTG products are not US made, they're made in Israel. So using their handguard is going to count against you for compliance. Scopes, mounts and lasers have nothing to do with 922r, so use what you choose.