Saiga gas system

There are others here with more experience, but I think that any cutting down of the barrel will require some additional tuning to get back to "stock" reliability. 

This was not the case for me. I whacked 4" off my 22+" Saiga 12 and it didn't miss a beat with 1-1/8 oz shot.

1)  Wouldn't it be possible to create a different gas valve similar to a FAL which instead of having 2 settings, it had something like 10 settings?  Wouldn't that really kick ass? 
This was my backup plan if the shotgun had misbehaved. This would be VERY easy to do with a dremel...just grind out slots like the two already on the plug at various positions between 1 and 2. I may even still do this as it seems like such a simple fix. It's not really like a FAL (we are changing how much barrell pressure gets to the spring, not how much gets bled off) but it has the same effect as a regulator.

Anyone whose cut down cycles on 2 but not on 1 with light loads should consider this option IMHO.

Anyone whose action does not cycle with light loads on setting "1" doesn't have to do a thing, because they don't have a problem. The "1" setting is for 3" magnums. If you "fix" your S12 to use light loads on "1," you have just set up your gun to self-destruct if you ever use magnums on either setting. Light loads should not cycle on the "1" setting, only magnums should. That's the way it was designed.

In fact, since both "setings" use the same three or four holes, I would be leary of using magnums in any S12 that was cut down, didn't cycle, and then was modified by enlarging the gas ports. That "fix" MAY have rendered the gun unsafe for magnum loads. I say MAY because you would have to measure the bled off pressure in a factory 19" gun vs any modified gun. I have never done this, and I would feel a pressure test necessary before I started sticking magnums in the gun. As one guy stated, there is more to the overall barrel length /gas presure engineering equation than merely gas port size (pressure, duration, dwell, etc.).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...