Made my own mag well. Looks "home made", because I didn't want to hide its construction. I used $7 worth of 16 gauge mild steel, and a $2 Ace Hardware 3mm drill. I do have a MIG welder to weld the pieces together.

I did a 1.99 second reload (shot to shot) yesterday. Faster than I can do with my Russian mag well.

post-4457-1211719757_thumb.jpg

Looks good. What did you have to do to the mag to make it work? I will buy one if you have enough material left to make another.

Edited by gpqueen
Made my own mag well. Looks "home made", because I didn't want to hide its construction. I used $7 worth of 16 gauge mild steel, and a $2 Ace Hardware 3mm drill. I do have a MIG welder to weld the pieces together.

I did a 1.99 second reload (shot to shot) yesterday. Faster than I can do with my Russian mag well.

Very nice. How did you attach it to the gun? Is the mag just held in by the back tab? If so did you have to increase the mag angle to allow for front "droop"? Again, nice work! Scott

Did you take any pictures of it while you were building? can you post a line drawing/ schematic so we could duplicate it if we would like to build one? It looks really nice. Why do ou not want to hide its construction? can you slam a full 10 rounder in there with the bolt closed? I want one but I need to get my hands on my MD20 mags before I build one so I can get those to fit, or buy one from Mike when his are ready. Looks good

thanks Scott

Very nice oas, good work. Is it the same dimensions as the russian mag well just steel instead of plastic. I would be interested to see a drawing or some measurements as well :up:

I don't have the heart to cut up a Russian 8 round magazine to use with the mag well.

But they do make a better candidate. The front of the magazine is metal reinforced. I have had problems with the AGP magazines cracking at the front where I plastic weld them, when I drop a magazine with more than 4 rounds.

It looks like a redesign of the mag well is necessary to make the front much larger to accommodate the front holding screw of the magazine (which I currently remove).

Looks great!

Flared ends are great for keeping eyes on target or if its dark.

Being that inexpensive, I've considered making one myself but no welder here. I'd like one as well to fool around with though.

~S

Continued...

I am going to make another Mag Well. This time, I'm looking for input. I pretty much copied the Russian Mag Well when I made the my first one.

However, I have been cutting off parts of the AGP mag to fit and plastic weld the front. This works out OK, except, the mag will crack where I weld it once in a while.

I am thinking of modifying the mag well to put a bulge in the front to accommodate the screw that holds the front of the mag together. Attached are pictures (which may help to explain).

post-4457-1211907059_thumb.jpg

post-4457-1211907076_thumb.jpg

post-4457-1211907102_thumb.jpg

post-4457-1211907116_thumb.jpg

post-4457-1211907128_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldandslow

Incredable ingenuity and craftsmanship!

(Even if other boards are not as receptive of the concept!)

Sweet Job!

I'm sure with your reload times, there is nothing old and slow about you!

I don't know if you would get excessive wobble with a front bulge, or lose the ability for the friction to hold it in the mag well. I guess you would have to try it to see what happens. With the mags, have you tried wrapping them further down from the top to hold them together. plastic weld them, then maybe use some tape or fabricate a metal clamp. I kind of need to see and touch stuff to figure things out, I'm not a visual only type. good luck. they look great

I wonder of you could move the mounting point of that top screw down enough to provide the needed clearance and still maintain some clamping power near the top.

It might require a remolding, or a small cylinder affixed to the front in the right place, like the first set of horizontal ribs?

Holding the mag in the mag well is not a function of the front of the magazine well. The front of the mag is held by the front edge of the receiver. The magazine is held by the mag release and the magazine butting against the rear of the mag well.

All the front of the mag well does is guide the mag into the receiver. I could cut the front of the mag well off and the magazine would be held just fine.

Holding the mag in the mag well is not a function of the front of the magazine well. The front of the mag is held by the front edge of the receiver. The magazine is held by the mag release and the magazine butting against the rear of the mag well.

All the front of the mag well does is guide the mag into the receiver. I could cut the front of the mag well off and the magazine would be held just fine.

If you're only into it $7 bucks and your curious.... try it, if it stays in, you answered your own question. I would think you could dremel the corners so you don't ruin your work and still be able to reweld it after a test firing. R&D.....All high quality products have lots of time involved. Yours looks awesome and I am curious how it will work. if it does, Then you cold just add a little material to yours to clear those screws......Then its off to mass production to give all of us something to spend our gas money on.....can't afford to drive, may as well work on my guns....

Is it the same dimensions as the russian magwell, I've never seen one in person.....? Are the russian mags cut down like yours?

I wonder if Mike D's magwell has to have the mag shaved like yours? Good luck, keep us up to date. I may want a shorter one to fit the MD drums...