Are ProMag AK mags as shit as they say? I saw one that looks like a bulgarian waffle, for $30. Seems a bit steep for a crappy aftermarket mag but these arent sold here and price is irrevelant for me. All that matters is quality. So, is it worth picking up or is it really terrible?

If you are in the USA, Pro-Mags can be purchased for under $15 for the AK.

Whether they are "shit" or not, depends on your expectations.

I'm still not in the USA.

What are the issues people have with these mags?

Edited by Agias
I'm still not in the USA.

What are the issues people have with these mags?

They are cheaply made.

* They lack any metal reinforcement at the locking tabs and feed lips.

* They use non-military grade springs.

* They have many reported feed issues (some folks report no troubles at all).

* They break more easily than a military issue magazine (cuz they're cheap).

Reportedly, they have a lifetime warranty, but I'm not sure how it would work for you.

Ah, got it, thanks for the info.

I ended up picking it up just for the hell of it but i'm not going to use it for anything other than a placeholder untill i get a real bulgy waffle.

I love mine. The most reliable AK magazines I own are the ProMag polymer ones I bought for $15. I got a AMD-65 build that just loves them (hates the 20 round Hungarian mags that came with it). Might be an issue with my Arsenal USA receiver though (i got the 1.6mm one instead of the 1mm standard one). I have thought about getting the KVAR polymer ones but the ProMag gives me 3 more US parts for BATFE bullshit list.

I love mine. The most reliable AK magazines I own are the ProMag polymer ones I bought for $15.
Just don't drop your rifle on the magazine, or fall on your mag bag . . .

:ded:CRUNCH :ded:

The Russians do pushups on their Kalashnikovs (magazine on the ground). Can you?

akclass8brj5.jpg

Promag magazines work 100% in my Vepr II .223. From what I've seen about converting AK-74 mags for .223 using RobArms followers they work better than factory or at least in this application. Are they fragile? I've dropped mine onto concrete and tarmac with no chips or cracks during 3-gun events while doing rapid mag changes. I figure if I do break one it's got a lifetime warranty and at $12-15 the price is right.

I used my promag for the first time on saturday and had 4 failure to feeds out of 15 rounds. I would not bet my life on one of them. From what I could see the bolt would try to strip the round off the magazine and it would go straight up rather than up the bullet guide and in to the barrel. The thing is, it's not like you can pull the charging handle and load another round when this happens. The round never entered the chamber so the bolt never grabbed on to the back of it. You have to hold the bolt back, drop the magazine, and then shake the rifle to get the now BENT round to fall out. Like I said, this happened 4 times in 15 rounds. BTW, mine is a 30 round that was modified by the selling company to hold 15 rounds.

• 1 month later...

I bought one of the ProMag 30 rnd to try in my AK. First round was fail to feed, and 3 out of the next 6. I took all rounds out of the mag and switched back to bulgarians and shot 200+ without a single failure.

A guy down from me was shooting his Saiga 7.62. I walked down to him and handed him the mag and said "Here's 3 US parts for when your Saiga grows up"

He smiled and thanked me. Hope he hasn't had any problems with it.

I bought a few pro mags for my wasr-2 I'll let you guys know if they feed it, I could not find 5.45x39 magazines for under 20.00 +shipping, these I added to an order for 13.00 each.

I do hope they work for bumpfiring because thats what I want them for.

I bought one of the ProMag 30 rnd to try in my AK. First round was fail to feed, and 3 out of the next 6. I took all rounds out of the mag and switched back to bulgarians and shot 200+ without a single failure.

A guy down from me was shooting his Saiga 7.62. I walked down to him and handed him the mag and said "Here's 3 US parts for when your Saiga grows up"

He smiled and thanked me. Hope he hasn't had any problems with it.

Hahaha nice.

• 4 weeks later...
I have been using ProMag have lots of rounds out never any issues had them for over a year still nothing negative to say they work and are cheap.

I have good results with Pro Mag magazines and would not hesitate to use them. I used them for other toys and they work flawlessly. They make the best aftermarket magazine for the Mini-14.

You guys who have pro mags that actually work, are you using FMJ's? I think my occasional feed problem might have something to do with using hollow points. I've got to give them another try with FMJ's and give a better report. I really wish my pro mags would work better for me. I modified 30 rounders to make NJ legal 15 round magazines and would like to actually use them.

You guys who have pro mags that actually work, are you using FMJ's? I think my occasional feed problem might have something to do with using hollow points. I've got to give them another try with FMJ's and give a better report. I really wish my pro mags would work better for me. I modified 30 rounders to make NJ legal 15 round magazines and would like to actually use them.

Does your rifle have a feedramp installed? If not, then there's your problem. You are correct though, the FMJs do work better in a gun without the feedramp. I have a new unmodded Saiga x39 that I modded some promags to work with and only hold 10 rds. They work great with FMJs until the very last round, which often dives into the bottom of the breech face like most other mags, that aren't made to feed an unmodded Saiga, will do. I was pleasantly surprised that they fed at all with no feedramp and no built in bullet guide like the Saiga and Surefire mags have.

You may not be able to torture test them and use them for pushups, but for $15 each with a lifetime warranty, they are ok. If you want better quality with the same look, get real Bulgarians.

On the other hand though, my friend just tried one in his new AK and it kept jamming by failing to get the round in the chamber all the way. His is one of those new Inter Ordinance STGs.

In fact here's a picture of one with a Promag, the recommended mag to use from IO.

http://www.ioinc.us/gunsandammoart.pdf

I've got a bullet guide in my rifle already. The thing uses chinese steal magazines just fine too. Never had a problem with any of them. It's only when I use the pro mag that it has occasional feeding problems. Like I said before though, it may be a hollow point thing. The inside of the magazine is made of some pretty soft plastic and I think the tip of the bullet, or lack there of is what's getting hung up.