DPHArms reinvents the no thread muzzle brake!

Ok So I have been on the no thread muzzle brake rant for a short while now. I have talked with Scott Gulledge of DPHArms quite a bit after meeting him at a local gun show. He had in the works a set screw type brake that looked good but was not up to his and others high standards. Well Scott and the guys have done it again. I just received a new NO SET SCREW brake from him and this one is going to be perfect. The new brake is a collet fitted design. To deal with the variance in the Saigas front sight block they have included two different sizes. The ones that came with my kit measured .70" and .72" and closed down to .65" and .68" but remember they can open up more if needed. If by chance they don't close down far enough just carefully take either a file or angle grinder and take a small bit more out of the opening. Basically you would unscrew the brake put the nut end on the barrel slide the collet that is tightest to your barrel in place and then screw the brake back together. You then tighten the brake with a 7/8 wrench and a screw driver inserted through the vents, or vent depending on design. On a 74 style brake you might be able to use another wrench across the flat, I don't have one to try. You would get this as tight as you can to ensure a tight fit. After all of this your done. A much tighter fit than the set screw style would ever bring and far less likely to fly off when shooting. The only thing that I could see as being a problem with this is that the nut might come loose after shooting and the best remedy for that is lock-tite. So if I can get my other brake off of my barrel I will install the new one and give a thorough testing. Here are some pictures see what you guys think.

Also while talking with Scott he informed me that the 74 style would help to control muzzle rise but that it would be slightly less then the real deal. This is due to the fact that the chamber area of the brake is reduced so that it will fit on the barrel.

post-10974-1213219697_thumb.jpg

post-10974-1213219719_thumb.jpg

That looks real nice.

Does that operate as a flash hider?

It's designed after the Phantom AR-15 flash hider, which is a very effective design on the AR. It should do equally as good on the x39 shouldn't it?

That looks real nice.

Does that operate as a flash hider?

It's designed after the Phantom AR-15 flash hider, which is a very effective design on the AR. It should do equally as good on the x39 shouldn't it?

Oh Im sure it will. I read "muzzle brake" to mean compensator, not flash hider. So it looks like it would work as a brake/flash hider.

That would make a difference to someone in a ban state that prohibits the evil flash hiders. lol

Scott doesn't have them up on the web site yet and I'm not sure when he will get them up.

Yes the 74 style compensates for muzzle climb and the phantom style reduces muzzle flash. I just have a tendency to call them brakes.

Perfect -- I bet these will be great!

Scott told me that these will fit the 5.56 Saigas, but that the .308 did not have a long enough muzzle in front of the sight. As far as price range I think they are still shooting to get this in the $40-50 range. The last ones ran me $45 shipped to my door. I know that there is a little bit more involved in making these so the price may vary from what I was originally told for the old set screw model. But hey its still not as involved as threading your barrel, and to me thats worth it.

When did they start making 5.56 Saigas?

5.56 and .223 are the same round and as far as I know they have been around for a while. I know Centerfire has them for $249.

As far as the threaded adapter that is a very good idea and next time I talk with Scott I will tell him.

Hey BobAsh I always thought that the .223 was the US or standard way of labeling a cartridge and that 5.56 x 45mm was just the Nato way to designate size. A lot of places sell Lake City military brass as .223 but the military marks loaded rounds as 5.56. Along with this the 7.62x51mm being a .308, the registered 1919a4 that a friend of mine has shoots either just fine you don't even have to adjust head space so long as it is set correctly to begin with. I'm no expert but was just curious as to your take?

For firearms that fire both .223 & 5.56 the chamber is usually setup like a Wylde chamber...

Definition for "Wylde chamber" : A chamber designed by noted AR-15 competitor Bill Wylde for use with competition 223 Remington loads. This chamber works with cartridges having an overall length of 2.445, as opposed to the SAAMI specifications of 2.410" for 223 Remington and 2.550" for 5.45x45mm NATO.

I've used both in my Saiga, I have some LC 5.56 reloads and .223 reloads from HSM.. old stuff, head stamped from the 70's

Edited by MD_Willington
  • 4 weeks later...

If memory serves me correct, 5.56 is the NATO standard and is a similar cartridge but manufactured to higher pressure specs and should not be shot in a 223 chamber. On the other hand 223 cartridges can be shot in a 5.56 chamber without any issue. As a result the vast majority of AR's are built with 5.56 chambers since they work with both........

My 2 cents

If I recall.........It's all 5.56 now, even if labeled .223. I read somewhere that all the ".223" actually went away in the mid-60's after we adopted the AR. Do you're research, but I think only old bolt actions have something to worry for.

I read it on the KTOG, KelTec owners forum.

Is there any word if this is coming to market soon?

Rest assured they ARE coming to market. We have completed the new design and we are in the testing phase. We do not want these coming off. I hope to have some to sell in a couple of weeks. We had a few other projects already started when we discovered the problem with the original design of the brake. Here is a sneak peak of what else we are working on for the 7.62,.223. and the .308. The 12 ga will be shortly after these.

Scott

of course it will be black.

saiga%20quad.jpg

• 2 months later...

I would buy one if it came in a slant brake design, rather than a flash hider which I don't need, or a less effective imitation AK-74 brake. I like to bump fire so I need the backwards recoil but what I don't need is the muzzle rising up on me, so a slant brake is the perfect choice, looks like I will just have to thread it.

I would buy one if it came in a slant brake design, rather than a flash hider which I don't need, or a less effective imitation AK-74 brake. I like to bump fire so I need the backwards recoil but what I don't need is the muzzle rising up on me, so a slant brake is the perfect choice, looks like I will just have to thread it.

We got the new style in but I'm just not 100% happy with them. They are rock solid and WILL NOT shoot off the rifle. We are making a couple of design changes to the attachment and then they will be ready. I'll post a few pic soon.

Scott