Well I have three Ruger 10/22s (Carbonfiber .920" barrel and Hogue stock, Krinker Plinker AK-74SU look alike and one that is my current project gun, all bought used), a CZ-452 and a Marlin 938T (I know it is a .22WMR but still a basic gun). The Ruger is real easy to customize and turn into an accurate rifle. Accessories for the Ruger abound and are not too expensive. If you don't have a 10/22 yet get one before they are banned by the next administration (HR 1022 would make it an evil assault weapon).

A nice CZ 452 is a great bolt gun and not too expensive too. Nice wood, accurate and reliable. The new CZ-453 with the set trigger would really be tack drivers too.

It would depend on what you want your .22LR for.

I picked up a Ruger USST before christmas and it's about my favorite just to go out and poke holes for cheap (and very accurate for an out of the box .22lr). Originally bought it to teach my girls to shoot, but I play with it way more than they do.

Nice gun!!! What barrel and stock is that? I am doing a project gun based on a used 10/22 carbine receiver right now.

I have a Ruger 10/22 because they make hi cap magazines for it and a Savage 64 with ten rounders. I would get either the Ruger of Remington which also has hi cap magazines available.

I want to get a Romy AK-22 now that ammo prices are high but prices are too high. Black Dog Machine is going to make 30 round magazines available for the AK 22 trainer. I fired one a few years ago when 7.62x39 ammo was still inexpensive and wasn't too impressed because it fired a .22LR round without the recoil and noise the AK round made. Now that ammo prices are sky high I would want one to have the AK feel.

Edited by uzitiger

TOZ 78.

I think they may be harder to find now that winchester has been importing them as the new wildcat, but the original toz 78 has an adjustable trigger that's just incredible. And, a couple years ago I picked one up for $95.

I shoot the toz more than any other gun I own and it's got tens of thousands of rounds through it. Still groups about a half inch at 50 yards with cci blazer, and even better with quality ammo. Wonderful for plinking. For me, it worked out to be better than a converted 10/22 and about one fifth the price.

If you can't find the toz78 then look for the target model winchester wildcat with the adjustable trigger and heavy barrel, you won't be sorry.

Another good option is the izhmash biathlon basic. Both guns easily outshoot all but the finest 10/22 conversions and cost less.

What's y'alls thoughts on the Walther G22? I've been eyeing them at the last few gun shows, but have heard a few people say they're nothing great.

Acer

They're fairly accurate, quite loud, but don't hold many rounds and are very picky with ammo. They do look cool though, with that fake suppressor.

• 3 weeks later...
But when its time to shoot squirrels or rabbits, I ALWAYS pick up my Remington 597. The best value .22 semi-auto IMHO. Smooth as silk and deadly accurate.

Is that the factory stock? Who did the camo job and how much? M.O.A. @ 50 yrds?

Thanks!

Edited by Ax-Man

I picked up a G22 near the first of the year from a buddy who wanted to upgrade to the GSG5. The lower magazine capacity of the G22 and the difficulty in disassembly to clean turned him off of the rifle. They are a bullpup and if you don't like shooting bullpups this is definately not the rifle for you. Once they get broke in I have never found a HV 22 round that gave it any trouble.

bean.223, if your still out there. on my earlier post i said i was leaning towards a cz, well here she is

cz452fspart3022.jpg

this also came with the rifle, i gues part of quality control from the factory, cool. but i know once i hook up a scope to her she will shoot tighter groups

cz452fs024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this standard model Ruger 10/22 about a year ago. I have added a Tactical Solutions barrel and bedded the action. The stock is actually the factory Ruger birch stock that I re-shaped and added the "wet weather" texture to. The suppressor is just icing on the cake. I have yet to add a Volquartsen trigger but will very soon. This thing is the best firearm investment I have ever made. I am dinging golf balls and oreo cookies at a measured fifty yards so frequently that it is boring. The reliability is also outstanding. I honestly think that if I could only grab one rifle when the SHTF, this might be it. It might not be perfectly suited for everything but damn... the ammo is light, plentiful and cheap. Just a good all around gun for small game and I think it would at least do in a pinch for various "pest" control.

post-5595-1224565975_thumb.jpg

Ruger's 10/22 besides the usual mods, TAPCO is getting into the game with a nice stock setup, and you have stuff like the KRINKER PLINKER and SAW kits. The second pic is the evo stock setup, pretty much gives the gun a ton of options b/c AR parts will fit it.

1_display.jpg

Evo_Ruger.jpg

Edited by Vultite