My Saiga doesn't Cycle correctly..

Ok, You need to apply a process of elimination.

1.) Do you have some kind of after market buffer? If so get rid of it. Then fire weapon.

2.) Change Ammo. I think you covered this already.

3.) Replace Magazine. Also covered.

4.) Load magazine half-full. Check if it cycles any differently

6.) Bolt carrier & piston. Inspect for cracks, damage or wear. Write down results while looking at gun.

7.) Recoil spring. Make sure it doesnt have a break somewhere.

8.) Lubrication. Use a good quality oil and lube it up good.

9.) Inspect your chamber, gas tube and trunion. Make notes of finish wear or binding.

10.) Cycle action by hand with the top cover off pulling the bolt all the way back and letting go. Cycle several rounds and make note of exact areas of problems. BE CAREFUL IF USING LIVE ROUNDS. ALLWAYS POINT WEAPON IN SAFE DIRECTION.

If all else fails start swapping parts with another rifle. First the bolt carrier & piston, then the gas tube itself.

If you still cant get it to work send it back to EAA. Make it their problem.

When the rounds dont cycle, i just pull back the bolt carrier and another round goes in beautifully. When cycling the rifle by hand, that friction point on the top of the bolt carrier doesnt seem to be enough to keep it from doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I will go again and try shooting it without the buffer. Sense i did the pistol grip conversion, i'd think that this would void the warantee. I think im going to try and find a local smith to take a look at it, if there are any, not too much of a demand for them anymore. But i'll look.

~Seth :chris:

Thanks for the help

Go to http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/index.php And post there. There are alot of good smiths that may be able to help youo out. You might have to register first, but the place has tons of info about almost everything and alot of bright people. There are also some dim people like me, so filter your responces.

Edited by Doerdie
I will go again and try shooting it without the buffer.

You've been shooting this with a buffer -and have had problems (AND!) have NOT considered taking it out???

Tell me it isn't so.

TAKE THE DAMN BUFFER OUT!!!

They can cause the bolt/carrier to "short stroke", and, can actually rebound the bolt with enough increased speed to jam up a action.

In the future!!! Here's a great hint: Only do ONE thing at a time -trying the weapon for function after EACH change/addition made.

Doing multiple mods & additions (that effect function) to a firearm without testing the gun with each mod is for those well experienced with such. You can get there -just take your time to learn.

You really have had a buffer in this things the WHOLE time you've had problems??? Really (I want to know)?

Lolygagger :cryss:

I have test fired without the buffer, and the problem still occurs.

We're back to the EXORCIST thing.

O.K...

At midnight, during a full moon, kill a black chicken, and repeat this at the offending weapon:

The power of Kalashnikov commands you!

The great automat compells you!

The pride of the Ruskie motherland demands you!!!...

BEGONE uncharacteristic MALFUNCTIONS!

If this works, good. If not -it's gunsmith time. But if it growels at you and cusses in latin -just leave it -and attempt to get away.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Well i just got back from a gunsmith, and he sent me in a direction telling me to trim my disconnector spring a little more, and that it still hangs up the bolt carrier too much. So im gonna give it a shot. I'll let ya know what happens... Either it will fix my problems, not fix my problems, or...give me a firearm that will unload the magazine every time i fire it (Not good)

Well i just got back from a gunsmith, and he sent me in a direction telling me to trim my disconnector spring a little more, and that it still hangs up the bolt carrier too much. So im gonna give it a shot. I'll let ya know what happens... Either it will fix my problems, not fix my problems, or...give me a firearm that will unload the magazine every time i fire it (Not good)

The disconnector spring would affect it firing but shouldnt affect it ejecting and feeding a fresh round into the chamber.

ya know what? try greasing the piss out of your gas piston, so as to seal up the tube as much as possible, to keep every bit of available gas from escaping. see if you can cycle a cheap russian round or two like that. also, take your bolt, and bring it to the air compressor at the gas station. BLAST the holes with it, and the extractor with the comp. air to get any excess lube out that you can. then take a flathead screwdriver, and manipulate the extractor itself fully back and forth about 100 times to loosen it up. it shouldnt grind or stick in any way shape or form. the gun should cycle the cheapest ammo you can find, so futz around with that cheap ammo in place of anything more expensive until you figure out the problem. ALSO, get that "drifting tool" that came with your saiga, and shove it down the gas port. the gas port is about the same dimension width-wise as that tool. if it dont go down the gas port hole, something is definately wrong. some guys comment that they had to bend thier drifting tool to get it to go through the gas port on the saigas, so keep that in mind as well. DONT break it off in the hole is all.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i Test fired my saiga Yet again and still continue to have the same problems. I trimmed my trigger release spring so that it doesnt resist the hammer as much when cycling, i have it really close but it continues to hang up a little bit, and not cycle. I am really stumped, what im going to try next when i get some money is a new bolt carrier, and bolt. If only this rifle shot as good as it looks. I'm really running out of ideas of what this problem could be, i've had it for 2-3 years now, and it has always been a real pain in the ass.

Wow, sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with this gun. I've owned about a dozen different AK's, 6 Saiga's, and can't say I've ever seen much more than a smoke-stack jam when a spent shell is caught by the closing bolt. That only and only few times with literally hundreds of fun rounds thru most of those dozen. That's nothing to what you've discussed. I agree with you, I'd be stumped too. :huh: Hope you get it figured out.

Edited by AK-treO8

I just finished my pistol grip/trigger assembley tonight. Ya I had the the bolt assembly hang on my tapco hammer too. I just grinded down the bolt so it was even with the bolt carrier. Its still kinda sticky so I might grind it down some more, but well see when I go to the range.

if i can just send a shoot into the dark (or so to speak) is sounds as the bolt does not cycle quickly enough have you checked the gaspipe or gasport (i dont know what these are called in english so i just direct translated it from norwegian) by the way check the gasrod while youre at it.

I say this because i got the same thing when i tried to shoot .308 blanks whith my VEPR so it is possible that you have foulings (is that a word ???? lets try "dirt" instead) in the "gassport" blocking out most of the gas pressure (while extremely powerfull rounds will have enough pressure to still make it cycle correctly). After i had cleaned the gasport and lubed the boltcarrier-railing whith teflon spray (HOPPES 9 - thank you. GOD) it rarely jams any more (this is 308 blanks i have never had problems whith "live" ammo)

What to do? Butt-stroke the offending gun-smith with said rifle. It won't fix anything, but it will probably make you feel better. Either that, or just tell him that you'll take your business elsewhere from now on, and reccomend that anyone who asks you do the same. Come to think of it, that might be more effective all-together than hitting the guy.... Yeah, go with the second choice.

tell him to press off the fucking front sight and enlarge the fucking hole and what it would cost. man, i hate guys that give you a song and dance...its CHEAP job, and will take a competant smith an hour to do if that.....he really only needs to enlarge the exit hole so it can vent past whats obstructing it....

Anyone know a Gunsmith that specializes in AK's that would be willing to tackle my problem? I've already taken it to a gunsmith and he said that these things were designed to work and when they didnt you tossed them over your shoulder and picked up another. What to do, what to do?

~Seth

What he really meant is " I have no idea how to work on these things, let me give you a line that makes you think I actually am a gunsmith and not what I really am, a fuckin dweeb with no skills ". Where did you find this guy, Wal-Mart? HE musta thought you had an AR15.

Edited by Doerdie

The gunsmith is one of the nicest guys i know. He accurized rifles, and AKs dont get sent to him too often to be accurized or worked on. So i dont want to bad mouth the guy too much, he helped me and told me what he would do. He just didnt want to mess with it. Didnt charge me or anything, just wasnt fermiliar with the firearm. Im just a stupid kid that doesnt know a whole lot about it, He's done it for 30 years. I respect him alot