10 round drums--snail or center feed?

Snail drum versus center feed ten round drums  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Snail feed drum
    • center feed drum

I have a MWG 90 rounder that was always reliable, and handled ok, but I eventually stopped using it and switched to the beta C. Occasionally we'd have odd shooting positions (barricades, sideways prone, whatever) and the mwg90 would get in the way. The beta did too. Actually, I prefer a cinched set of mags now and rarely use a drum of any flavor. (just not that hard to find a reload spot).

Obviously, I'm talking rifles in a shotgun thread, but hey.

Having said all that, seems like a snail would have one less turn to push the shells thru which means less work on the spring? Feels like it could be more likely to be more reliable? If it's not a huge drum then it might be fine.

The knoxx drums I had were snail only, and would not have bothered many folding stocks... they just didn't need to rise that high on the sides..

There, you have my .02 cents ... about 4 months too late.

Edited by kmoore
I could be way off base here, but it seems to me that the problem with a large drum and the 3 inch magnums is the recoil and what it does to a large heavy drum. If it were a smaller, compact drum, perhaps it could survive the recoil better and would be possible?

Cameron, what do you think?

Mine will take all the recoil you could throw at it, mostly because its steel and its 1" shorter than the Five round factory mags, these mini-drums are going rock people. Big smile on face right now, big smile on your faces later. :super:

any chance your mini drum with its steel constuction could be ordered/modified to have an extended tower so as to work with a magwell
I could be way off base here, but it seems to me that the problem with a large drum and the 3 inch magnums is the recoil and what it does to a large heavy drum. If it were a smaller, compact drum, perhaps it could survive the recoil better and would be possible?

Cameron, what do you think?

Mine will take all the recoil you could throw at it, mostly because its steel and its 1" shorter than the Five round factory mags, these mini-drums are going rock people. Big smile on face right now, big smile on your faces later. :super:

any chance your mini drum with its steel constuction could be ordered/modified to have an extended tower so as to work with a magwell

The first drums will release with a short tower, but if we see a nice mag well come out or if we decide to manufacture one ourselves, we may put one out with a longer tower.

With 10 and 12rnd stick mags. available, I don't see the usefulness of a 10rnd drum. Maybe a 12-15rnd drum to offset the overly long stick mags. IMHO of course.

It makes a more compact balanced carry package for firing from odd positions, entries, and more convinient carry.

what wouldn't be to like aside from possibly slightly longer reload times?

I'll just keep up my mantra:

Compact, compact, compact.

LE/competitors/gunfighters want a compact, handy weapon. I use competitions to sharpen fighting skills and test equipment in a dynamic environment.

I love my MD drum, but after using it in a competition (actually I used two and a AGP) it's two freaking big and heavy for serious social work. It would work for static defense only.

The AGP's also are a tad too long, shooting or loading prone is an adventure. I'm cutting mine down to 8's.

A compact 10rd drum would resolve this nicely. And a +1 on the mag well. Magwells will make a huge difference in the speed of reloads and provide the complete package of capacity, size, and speed to the S12 platform. That and LRBHO and bolt release.

• 6 months later...

Irony: Although people usually asociate drums with high capacity and stick mags with compactness, this drum and Mike's new double stack sticks may well make reverse those attributes. That is, the most efficient high-cap mag will be a stick mag and the most compact mag of all will be a drum. Weird! Awesome! Free market!