Just got three Promag 7.62X39 Saiga Magazines in the mail. I took them to the range and was very disappointed with their performance. All three mags jammed constantly every three or four rounds. Should I mail them to promag or work on the severe wobble with electrical tape as another poster has suggested? I never had a jam with my factory 10 rounder. I have had to quickly order another 10 round factory mag from Mississipi Arms so I can use the Saiga in a military rifle match next month. I am quite displeased.

A quick search of almost any firearms forum on the internet would have given you quite a lot of negative feedback on Pro-Mag.

You will probably be better off trying to sell them on a forum somewhere (hey, some people like them) and buying Master Molders or SureFire polys instead.

Keep 922r in mind.

I've heard of a lot of people having issues with these things before. I personally own 4 of them and they all work fine, except with hollow point ammo. FMJ's have all fed fine through mine. In fact, I shot about 200 rounds with mine since saturday without a single fail to feed. If I had been using hollow points I'm sure I would have had at least a dozen FTF's. What kind of ammo are you using?

Before sending them back, see if putting a real AK magazine spring in the promag will help...

I read online where one person replaced their promag spring with a standard length spring helped.

If you need the US mag for 922r then get the master moulder.

Before sending them back, see if putting a real AK magazine spring in the promag will help...

I read online where one person replaced their promag spring with a standard length spring helped.

If you need the US mag for 922r then get the master moulder.

I bought one to try. It jammed every other round. It has since been used for target practice. Only surplus mags from now on. Have NEVER had a jam with any of my Romanian/Russian/Bulgarian mags.

I've got 6 pro-mags for my 7.62. I have a minor problem with them though. They jam the last round. Other than that, they feed perfectly fine with Wolf, and Wolf Mil. Classic, HP & FMJ. I bought a bullet guide that I haven't put in yet since I don't have a press, I'm gonna find someone to do it for me for a few bucks, or a trade. I can't be without it for more than a couple of days, since the SH may hit the fan any day now.

If I could put it in permanently, solidly without a drill & tap, I would.

You can always go 'old school' and rivet that puppy in.

I fudged up my tapping operation one time and had to resort to the rivet method.

When I bought my rifle the dealer also had ProMag products. He tested fitted 3 mags before he found one that my rifle liked. The other ones did not latch properly. I've only put about 400 rounds though it so far and there were some jams in the first hundred rounds or so but since then it has been flawless. That experience told me not to buy any mags online. I'm not sure what the difference is between mags but it definately seems that you need to find a match.

I have a couple of Pro Mag magazines and they work flawlessly for me. Some Saigas and AKs have variations in magazine well openings which may be the cause of the problem. My magazine worked in my Saiga and a friend's Chinese and Yugo AKs.

Pro Mag gets a lot of negative publicity but I have confidence in them. I've used them in different guns and they work as well as factory mags. If I had any problems I would post them here but I am a satisfied Pro Mag customer / user.

Just the other day I was at the range with a bud, he had just bought 2 .223 Promags for his Saiga. They are really cool looking mags let me say that, very reminiscent of the bulgys. BUT, first mag worked flawlessly, no probs what so ever. He smacks #2 in and all hell breaks lose!! Fire/jam/clear/fire/jam/clear. He sent both back and are going to buy Surefire.

So they must be the wasr's of the mag world, hit or miss....

Edited by Bean.223

JB Weld, believe it, or not. Filled in the screw hole with the stuff and a light layer on the ramp and the reciever. It's been 6 months and at least 2000 rounds. I tried to pry it out with a screwdriver yesterday. It will not move. I think I would have to destroy the gun to get it out. Use 500 sandpaper on the back of the feed ramp and where you attach it. It will not come out.

I have a couple of Pro Mag magazines and they work flawlessly for me....

Do not waste that kind of luck on cheap magazines! Hurry out and buy lottery tickets before it changes! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Was searchin' but saw that no one asked. I was always taught that the only dumb question is the one not asked. Did you install a bullet guide?

Experienced the same problems before I installed mine. J.D.

Ditto. Using "saiga" ProMags, FMJs fed okay, SPs would jam below the chamber. Installed bullet guide and they feed fine.

Was searchin' but saw that no one asked. I was always taught that the only dumb question is the one not asked. Did you install a bullet guide?

Experienced the same problems before I installed mine. J.D.

Ditto. Using "saiga" ProMags, FMJs fed okay, SPs would jam below the chamber. Installed bullet guide and they feed fine.

• 4 months later...

JB Weld, believe it, or not. Filled in the screw hole with the stuff and a light layer on the ramp and the reciever. It's been 6 months and at least 2000 rounds. I tried to pry it out with a screwdriver yesterday. It will not move. I think I would have to destroy the gun to get it out. Use 500 sandpaper on the back of the feed ramp and where you attach it. It will not come out.

Thats the EASIEST way that makes sense to me. I'll try to tap to put it in. But if I FUBAR it then I can JB weld it. :blues:

Thanks for the tip..

Foo you got any pics of this install..??

I've got 2 ProMags and neither one has been a problem. I only load 28 in the 30 rounders as a precaution and everything works fine. When I get my bullet guide installed, I'll convert the ProMags and buy some metal surplus mags. Even then, I will still only load 28 per mag.