palehorse maggot round

I dont know if its worth doing, what will flechettes do that shot wont? You also have to worry about the tail fins fucking up the boar. If you shoot something with a flechette it will make a tiny little pin hole. It probably wont even kill the target or it'll take a long time for it to bleed to death/die.

Edited by mike123456

The best sabot load I have used was the Sabot Designs LLC round.It functioned fine in the Saiga 12 and would perforate a galvanized water trough at 100yds.The wound damage was minimal compared to Buckshot and the patterns was still pretty tight at that range but being able to draw blood at all with a shotgun at that range is still pretty impressive.They use a sabot that orients the flechettes so they don't jostle each other during flight thereby reducing yaw which is what causes drag and rapidly slows your flechettes down because they are restabilizing several times in the beginning of the flight path.

http://www.antipersonnel.net/sdllc/index.html

I personally gave up on the idea of using flechettes to increase the range of my Shotguns due to the lack of lethality at the ranges I was looking at.The flechettes just poke a nice clean wound and don't really have much stopping power.I suppose using them to find badguys hiding in the bushes when you pattern opens up to about 5ft diameter might have some limited utility but you need way more velocity than a shotgun round can generate to make a flechette even remotely effective.

There is the idea that using flechettes at normal shotgun contact ranges can give you penetration on heavily clothed/lightly armored opponents but if you have them flying straight and stable to avoid yaw and velocity loss the pattern with establish quickly and the spread will be very low.

What is your reasoning behind the flechettes?

Flechettes were originally thought to be advantageous in a dense jungle environment, meaning they would pierce the vegetation, and continue on to the target.

I don't believe that ever was proved to be the truth after use.

What I have read, is that Doctors who were treating patients that were shot with them, found them to "Inhumane" because they made a very small entrance wound, unlike a gun shot, and sometimes the entry points couldn't even be found, or ID'd as a wound.

Then, upon entry, the flechette had a tendency to bend, and become very unstable, with reports of them hitting the shoulder, and coming out the abdomen, or somewhere very far away from where they went in, further making treatment difficult, because they lacked a clean wound path.

And that eventually, faced with a dubious round, and one that carried a high, negative public perception, they were pulled from the US military arsenal.

I actually remember Jane Fonda holding one, on a TV show during the Vietnam war, and claiming that the US Military, had treated them with chemicals that gave you diarhea, and that even if the flechette only wounded you, you eventually shit yourself to death.

I actually remember Jane Fonda holding one, on a TV show during the Vietnam war, and claiming that the US Military, had treated them with chemicals that gave you diarhea, and that even if the flechette only wounded you, you eventually shit yourself to death.

Wow! Where can I get a box of those!?

Dip your own flechettes in poo, its what the VC did on their Punji Sticks, to cause infections on top of the wounds.

I don't however thing they would be much fun to handle when you are trying to load them into a shell though...

Dip your own flechettes in poo, its what the VC did on their Punji Sticks, to cause infections on top of the wounds.

I don't however thing they would be much fun to handle when you are trying to load them into a shell though...

thanks for input gents I was planning to use at very close range fbi says most engagments are fought around 21 feet or less had some friends that used them in nam and was told they are just plain nasty just some thing to play around with anyone with slug molds for sale or loads pm me

Palehorse,

After assemby of the flechette loads pattern them on a large sheet of paper. If they are anything like the commercially loaded rounds we tried a few years ago, then you will be surprised at the number of flechettes hitting sideways or were bent into a "C" shape. Far from impressive!

Palehorse,

After assemby of the flechette loads pattern them on a large sheet of paper. If they are anything like the commercially loaded rounds we tried a few years ago, then you will be surprised at the number of flechettes hitting sideways or were bent into a "C" shape. Far from impressive!

We tested some flechette loads just a month or so ago for Georgia Packing with some Very Disappointing results and reached the same conclusion you did.

Edited by Fallschirmjäger
  • 3 weeks later...

I've always wondered about trying a "shrapnel" type round, filled with little triangular pieces of flat metal with 1cm long sides. Sadly, I don't have reloading equipment yet, so I have yet to try. Anyone have insight on to possible behavior of a round of this nature? (I definitely wouldn't expect much range from it)

The shorter flechettes are what used to be the most common to find. The where used in a bee hive air burst round. Can't remember if it was cannon or 40mm or what. Point being the longer flechettes that are not so common where used in the shotgun round and stabalize better in the 12 guage than the short flechette. That is one reason the current loading do not preform well.

I am working on palehorses new proposed maggot round 3 inch two bp gas seals and flecetts working on a powder grain drop that will not give me anglel wings will try sub steel shot payload with the flecetts darts may use a mylar wrap and buffer then roll crimped

Sorry, but I have to say I'd be leery of buying ammo from anyone with such atrocious spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I don't normally pounce on these things but I can barely understand what the heck you are saying.

I am working on palehorses new proposed maggot round 3 inch two bp gas seals and flecetts working on a powder grain drop that will not give me anglel wings will try sub steel shot payload with the flecetts darts may use a mylar wrap and buffer then roll crimped

Sorry, but I have to say I'd be leery of buying ammo from anyone with such atrocious spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I don't normally pounce on these things but I can barely understand what the heck you are saying.

AK308, your sow write aboot not splelling and grammer goode!

That really bothered me too! I am also not sure that I would trust something connotated with "maggots"... It's not usually a favorable creature to compare your product with....

I doubt I would ever buy from American Maggot Outfitters or Lone Maggot Distributors!