Inexpensive .308 Surplus Ammo from Aim

http://www.kimdutoit.com/dr/weblogpv.php?id=1585_0_1_0

Hope that works. The M1916 is based on the M1893 barell shortened to 21".

SAMMI max for .308 is 55,000 PSI. Destructive testing of Guardia Civil Mauser by H.P.White. 98,000 PSI. before destruction. This is not a fragile weapon. The origional chambering was in 7mm57 and that is not a wimpy little round.

G O B

Well, yes.... It might take only one shot at 98,000 psi to break it, but prolonged use with higher pressure loads the bolt will set back and you will have headspace problems. It's not that the gun will break right away, but it WILL wear out more quickly. As far as the 7x57 goes, it is consistently 10,000 psi below the standards for 308 Winchester with any given bullet weight. Once again, in a modern gun, this is not a problem. In moderation with an old gun, it's not a bad thing. If you consistently use high pressure loads in a gun with a weaker action (as the 93/95 has been shown to be) you're going to have problems. With mine, the gun would try to shake itself apart after a few rounds of Portugese. The cleaning rod would unscrew itself. The handgaurd retainers would come loose. That upper handgaurd would come off. AND the front sight band got loose and started walking it's way around the barrel. That was a pain in the @$$. It's a great gun. It's very accurate. But don't expect to use normal 308 winchester loadings with impunity. Mine has not been an isolated incident. Do some research. Just be careful, whatever you do.

Hey Tokageko,

For us ignant people can you explain it. I would be greatly appreciative. You can email it to me if you want and :rolleyes::rolleyes: I will PM you with my email address if your up to it. Thanks. I always look at any type of knowledge as power, no matter how trivial it may seem. :rolleyes:

Verdejt: I like your attitude. If it's all the same to you, I think I'll just start another topic to explain it, but I will gladly reply to any PM/email. Oh, and another thing, I really don't consider any of you to be... what was the word? "ignant", maybe misinformed, but we've all been there. Even I, at one time, did not know everything. :lolol: Still don't actually. Parents and Professors can atest to this. Just trying to keep the discussion lively.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the indian .308 sucks, we got some to run in a 1919 at knob creek, and a good 15 to 20% didn't pass visual inspection, bullets seated at extreme depths, bullets caught on case mouths causing tears in the neck, bullets seated at 15 degree angels, and primers not fully seated. That may be the most dangerous, as it could cause a slamfire. We must have missed one of the high primers because we did have a round fire out of battery. Thankfully the 1919 is an overbuilt weapon, and there were replacement topcovers availble at the show. On the subject of those spanish .308 mausers, they are not to msafe to shoot, unless they are the fr-8 which has cetme sights and is a 98 action. the others are smallring actions which were never intended for the pressure of .308. The actual chambering is 7.62 cetme which is dimensionallly the same as .308, but was loaded to much lower pressure. There is also the fact that the spanish mauser quality control was about as good as the indian ammo. Don't take my word for it though, I have one of these rifles and decided to stop shooting it after signs of excessive pressure, reading articles in shotgun news, kuhnhausen's book on mausers, and listening to much internet discussion on the subject.

just a quck comment from a newbie here but igot 500 rnds of wolf at gun show for just under $90 so 180 for 1000 or less of brand new wolf should be as good as surplus 980 rnds $164 shipped as long as no one has heard anything bad about wolf 308 it seems fine to me :devil:

ammoman.com has the argentina for real cheap. from what ive seen its the hottest loaded one. its not as pretty(shows a little corrosion on one here and there) like its been stored in high humidity or something. i shot a few hundred rounds without a hiccup. ive shot portugese and australian and this seems to be the hottest.

I shot 800 rounds of some kind of spanish ammo from

http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

(1000 round box) for $170 shipped. No problems at all. Since they are all out, I ordered 1000 from

http://www.southernammo.com/prod02.htm

for $109 plus shipping. The rounds are from Belgium, Israel, Portugal, and U.S. They are by far the cheapest I have found.

Edited by switlikbob

tokageco - You prove my point. The old mauser action will "fail soft" if abused the lugs will deform and let you know it's been abused. With 7.62 NATO ammo these will most likely last a very long time, but at the price they are going for-you can afford to abuse it! Also these were made with many different manufacturer's recievers,and accordingly the quality will vary. However, I have yet to hear of any KB's and we all know that news of a KB gets around more than a cute young whore when the fleet is in!

G O B

I just got my new shipment in from southern ammo...the rounds look good, but some show their age...I'll be popping some of them off this weekend...I hope...it's freakin' snowing in NJ right now, so we'll have to see how the weather is at the range this weekend...I'll let you know how the rounds perfom...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so it's been a while, but I feel the need to comment on the Indian ammo. After doing some thinking/research, I've decided that it should be safe to use in the CETME, Saiga 308, etc.. All of the failures I've heard of relate to a "squib" round lodging a bullet in the bore, and another round being fired immediately.

In particular on the CETME, it should be easy to figure out. If there is not enough force to get the bullet out the barrel, there won't be enough force to cycle the action. The same should be true of the Saiga 308 as well. Essentially, the lesson here is to safely check the bore after ejecting a round that doesn't cycle the action.

Unfortunately, the same does not apply to bolt action rifles. Anybody have anything to add to this? Complaints? Comments? Concerns?

Ok, so it's been a while, but I feel the need to comment on the Indian ammo.  After doing some thinking/research, I've decided that it should be safe to use in the CETME, Saiga 308, etc..  All of the failures I've heard of relate to a "squib" round lodging a bullet in the bore, and another round being fired immediately.

In particular on the CETME, it should be easy to figure out.  If there is not enough force to get the bullet out the barrel, there won't be enough force to cycle the action.  The same should be true of the Saiga 308 as well.  Essentially, the lesson here is to safely check the bore after ejecting a round that doesn't cycle the action.

Unfortunately, the same does not apply to bolt action rifles.  Anybody have anything to add to this?  Complaints?  Comments?  Concerns?

• 3 weeks later...