I'm wanting an AK pistol, but I can't drop $600-$700 on a busted ass romanian AK pistol, so I figure I'll try my hand at building one. Anyone know where I can find a parts kit for a decent price? Everything on GB seems to be at least $300. I saw a parts kit with the barrel and gas tube already shortened, but he wanted almost $400 for it. Anyone got any ideas, or is this about what I'm going to have to spend to do this?

I built mine from an AMD65, it already had a short barrel (that's why they used to be so cheap, nobody wanted to mess with the short barrel).

They are around (though they are not $50 anymore), I'd start scouring every mil-surp site I could get a link for, they do show up once in a while. If I had the dough I'd drop for a Krink kit, but I think I'm getting a craving for a Saiga 20 now instead :devil: (gotta have one just in case MD gets a drum made for 20ga).

I'd spend some time scouring a shotgun news issue as well, never know what you might come across, somebody was selling new Romanian barrels for $79. Might be cheaper to chop-up a Wasr-10 for parts?

Happy hunting.

I don't know. I'd say you were right about a month ago, but nowadays AK's are going for a lot more than they were earlier this year. I'm looking at AK pisols on gunbroker, and they're all going for around $600-$700. I can build one with a parts kit for about $400 or so.

I was actually looking at that AMD kit in SG, I have the buyer's club and could get it for less than $200, probably right around $200 shipped. The only issue is that it says it doesn't come with a barrel.

I'm weary of the centerfire kits, kinda scared of what I might get.

C.W. at Gunsmoke bought several a few years back and has not had the chance to do anything with them. Gunsmoke is one of our business members so mention the forum when you call. I was there a few months ago and saw them still sitting on the shelf.

Talk to either C.W. or Red (850) 926-5500.

Edit: I just talked to Red. They are building all of their kits into pistols now and have a waiting list. They are expecting more kits soon though.

Edited by madmilo

I just got this off of gun broker:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117395402

I told the guy I'd give him $300, and he took it. I'll stick it on an NDS receiver. I've got some extra pistol grips laying around, and I'm thinking of throwing one of those quad rail hand guards on it. Should be pretty slick. I'm figuring <$500 for the whole project.

There is never going to be anymore "Bargains" on parts kits.

The importers have bought up just about everything that was actually surplus out there, and they were only available so readily, because the Poles, Bulgarians, etc, are changing over from Soviet to NATO ammo so that they can Join NATO.

Dan's last batches were from AK 74's that never were fired, speedily chopped and sent via Air Freight to beat the barrel ban.

Get them now, they will only get dearer, take that to the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this listed on my amd post. Dans Ammo had AMD kits less barrel and receiver for $149 to your door. Get a romainan barrel and a NDS abd you are all set. That is the best kit I've found. I'm getting mine tomorrow. At least that is what UPS says. If it has all the stuff in the pics it has a mag. sling sling mounts. I post what I get tomorrow.

After I started compiling a list, I realized I'm going to need a few more parts than I had originally thought. I think I have it figured out now. Besides the kit I have now, which has barrel, gas tube, piston, receiver cover, bolt, etc, I'll need:

Receiver

FCG (which should include disconnector spring)

Trigger spring

Trigger guard

Rivet kit

Furniture

Does this sound comprehensive, or am I forgetting anything?

After I started compiling a list, I realized I'm going to need a few more parts than I had originally thought. I think I have it figured out now. Besides the kit I have now, which has barrel, gas tube, piston, receiver cover, bolt, etc, I'll need:

Receiver

Trigger spring

Trigger guard

Rivet kit

Furniture

AK-Builder has some decent prices on trigger Guards and mag hold down's...

Receiver

Trigger spring

Trigger guard

Rivet kit

Furniture

AK-Builder has some decent prices on trigger Guards and mag hold down's...

Oh yeah, the mag release, I forgot about that.

Yeah, I've been perusing ak-builder.com, I'll probably end up ordering most of my stuff from them, hoping I can save a bit on shipping, even if I can get some of the stuff cheaper from different places.

I heard some bad reviews of the tapco rivet set, but was told that the ak-builder rivet sets were good stuff.

Really, bad rivet kits?

Cripes, other than the wrong size, or being non swell neck, a rivet, is pretty much a rivet.

How could you screw one up for cripes sake.

Are you sure they aren't confusing them with Mivets?

The key to a real shitty rivet job is letting me do it..

Really, bad rivet kits?

Cripes, other than the wrong size, or being non swell neck, a rivet, is pretty much a rivet.

How could you screw one up for cripes sake.

Are you sure they aren't confusing them with Mivets?

No, the guy I talked to, who is letting me use his press, jigs, and riveter, said that the tapco rivets are not always the same size, that sometimes you get them with irregular sizes on the head.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that was close to Scranton Pa. who could would have the "Correct" rivit tools and may want to help a brother out with a turtorial??? I have 2 More kits that I want to look real nice. I've done some real nice screw builds but it is time to step up. I've made all the poor mans jigs and tools but the results are poor. It is half me and half the shitty tools.

Okay, different sized heads I believe, different manufacturers different sized heads, a real bitch if you are set up for one head size, but, not defective.

I don't believe anyone said anything about 'defective.' I said I had some bad reviews concerning the tapco rivets, and that I would be buying the ak-builder.com rivets.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/Y-M70-BBL.aspx

would this be a viable pistol kit?

you would be hard pressed to find a compatible pistol trunnion. from what i read the Yugo receiver is narrower does any one know if this is actually the case?

I'm not sure about the receiver but the rear sight block is wider and all the journals on the barrel are bigger diameter than the romainian or AMD..

Speaking of AK-Builder, be sure to get their rail set. The lower rail that they incorporate into their design makes the mag a LOT more stable.

We have one more receiver, I was just looking at the prices and $220 for a non-matching AMD-65 kit with no barrel is rape. Romys from the 80's were $90 with barrel from Bocefus for non-matching, $125 matching at the beginning of 2008!

I am glad that I stocked up with I did!