Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30= Killer

Check this out! I bought a 1942 Mil-surplus Russain 91/30 Mosin in excellent condition the other day because my 8 year old son wanted me to take him hunting. I have a Saiga 12 but wanted something for longer shots. Anyways, We saw three does last night on the edge of our land. I had to this point never even fired the Mosin and had just clean the grease they pack them in for storage off that same day. Like I said, I never had a chance to sight the gun in and it propably hadnt been fired in 60+ years! So I draw the iron sights up on the biggest doe and just as I was pulling the trigger she walked behind a tree, then the other two turned and started heading deeper into the woods/brush. I knew my time was almost up on getting my deer so I lined up on the last doe and pulled the trigger. Much to my suprise she goes stiff legged and straight down! Doesnt even try to run! So breaking every hunting rule possible I bum rush the deer in excitement and watch her take her final breaths. I took that shot with open iron sights, a surplus $99.00 and 60+ years old rifle that I have never before even fired, into heavy tree/brush with a moving target at over 70 yard range!!! I hit her dead in the spine over the backstrap and completly severed it. I was using a 7.62x54R Silver Bear soft point 203 grain. Anyways had a great time and got my first deer with the very first shot of my new(very old) rifle.

By the way my two boys loved it and we are hooked!

:lolol:

Very nice post. Congrats!

With the 7.62x54 round, you probably could have taken the shot through the tree... LOL

I must say that I am very impressed with the rifle, a great deal at $99.00, I would have gladly paid more really! The rifles wieght was fine for me and the length was no problem, to be honest having never shot it I was wondering how bad it would kick, but I guess my adrenaline was pumping so much that I did not even notice it!!

She field dressed at 82lbs, she was the smallest of the three, but Ill take her!

Now Im sure there are better more accurate rifles out there, but really, $99.00 for a high powered rifle that can go from 65 years of storage to killing deer the first shot? Who can complain?The last time that rifle was fired it was shooting germans in Berlin probably!! :super:

The russian silver bear that I have is non corrosive, berdan primed, but one cannot be to careful! I think mine may have bben unissued, possibly, I cannot tell for sure. The wood looks excellent, the rifling and barrell looks perfect. It was built in 1942 at the Izmash? factory. It has not been counterbored and is just are real clean gun. I dont guess there is a way of knowing for sure, it may have been a refurbished gun. I know it had a ton of that cosmoline? grease on it! After talking with a guy I know that deals guns he said that all the old military rifles are zeroed with the iron sights at 200 yards, so anything short of that and your shooting high. All I know is I got a good one and my first shot out of that rifle got me my first deer, enough said!!

:super:

Great post. I love the 91/30, got four myself. One has a octagonal receiver dated 1925. The others are 1940+ WWII models. These are great guns shooting the world's oldest still serving rifle cartridge, one that knocks down on the first hit. Good Shooting. Enjoy your venison.

Edited by Saigaczech

Nice shooting you got meat at a cheap price too congrats.

Many years ago it was mentioned about using cheap affordable military surplus rifles to put meat on the table. They did an article on the russian guns. This only sparked my interest in military surplus guns more.

I purchased two 50cal ammo cans of the russian barnaul 203gr sp ammo too. I found it to be very accurate in my svt-40 tokarev and in my m39 finish mosin too. I'm going to have to take out my mosins someday to hunt with them too.

I just traded an 870 in for the 91/30 below. It's a 1942 that does not appear to have ever been fired. Rifling is perfect and no apparent wear anywhere else.

dscf1366vy3.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix A345 at 2008-12-14

dscf1368bc0.jpg

dscf1364lk3.jpg

I haven't got to shoot her yet but I picked up 140rnds and will have to do some accuracy tests soon. I can't wait.

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

They are great guns for the money. I would however like to see a pistol grip stock.

I'm just a lurker but I figured I'd help ya out.

The Finnish M39 Mosin says hello. Light years more accurate than your average Russian Mosin, and it has a Pistol grip. Many (myself included) consider the M39 one of the most accurate military Bolt actions of the era right up there with the Swedes and Swiss.

m392.jpg

Mine was 200$, they go anywhere from 200-500.

I just traded an 870 in for the 91/30 below. It's a 1942 that does not appear to have ever been fired. Rifling is perfect and no apparent wear anywhere else.

in general, that doesn't mean much. quite a bit of rifles were re-arsenaled. so it's hard to tell. not that that matter much...

I'm just a lurker but I figured I'd help ya out.

The Finnish M39 Mosin says hello. Light years more accurate than your average Russian Mosin, and it has a Pistol grip. Many (myself included) consider the M39 one of the most accurate military Bolt actions of the era right up there with the Swedes and Swiss.

have some of my finnish M/27 then. :)

while the M/27 had quite a bit of flaws compared to the M/39, they were often more accurate. ;)

mine is one of the last few 1000's made, as mine dates from 1939. it also means that it was made straight this way, without the upgrading process in 1935/1936 that most M/27 had to go through.

only downside is that M/27 parts cannot be swapped with other mosins. the bolt and such are different.

post-5168-1229786984_thumb.jpg

Range report. Well everything shot tight at 50 and 100 so I tried 200 Friday afternoon in not the most optimal conditions but I couldn't wait.

Range shot from 200M. Slow fire shooting on all rounds. Iron sights set at 200M. Shooting position from the prone with no additional support. Rounds used included 5 brown bear FMJ, 4 surplus Russian light ball. The Brown bear are the impacts in the orange. The surplus was all over the place.

dscf1388rr8.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix A345 at 2008-12-21

dscf1390fj2.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix A345 at 2008-12-21

FANCY SHOOTIN' TEX!!

Iron sights at 200 yards with an old 91/30!

People can say what they want about the old inexpensive military suplus rifles, but they still put food on the table after 60-100+ years!

And you can bet they built them to last back then!!

I have been thinking about mounting a LER scope on my 91/30 in the "scout" method. What say you? I hear the scope rail you use in place of the old iron sights will not hold zero very well, anybody hear the same??

By the way "usmc_mwroseberry" your 91/30, she's a beauty!

Edited by ACE-2
FANCY SHOOTIN' TEX!!

People can say what they want about the old inexpensive military suplus rifles, but they still put food on the table after 60-100+ years!

I have been thinking about mounting a LER scope on my 91/30 in the "scout" method. What say you? I hear the scope rail you use in place of the old iron sights will not hold zero very well, anybody hear the same??

If my stock wasn't in such good shape I would be getting one of these:

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOI0300

And mounting a rail on the side to put a cope on like the old Nagant sniper rifles. Would hold a zero better and wouldn't damage the barrel or any other metal. Just an idea. I'm still debating that myself.........

Good luck,

Merritt

FANCY SHOOTIN' TEX!!

If my stock wasn't in such good shape I would be getting one of these:

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOI0300

And mounting a rail on the side to put a cope on like the old Nagant sniper rifles. Would hold a zero better and wouldn't damage the barrel or any other metal. Just an idea. I'm still debating that myself.........

Good luck,

Merritt

awesome.... the thing that kept me from the mosin was the wood.. im just not a wood fan... i may get one and do that conversion..

• 2 weeks later...

is this a good price on these? Was thinking about picking one up. I know the authentic ones are about $700.

Can anybody tell me about these? I'm assuming they are pieced together rifles, but still look cool nonetheless. I'm not selling btw.

crletter%20175.jpg

crletter%20177.jpg

crletter%20176.jpg

crletter%20178.jpg

description:

WE DON'T HAVE THESE RIFLES VERY OFTEN, BUT WHENEVER WE ARE ABLE TO OFFER THEM THEY ARE HUGELY POPULAR. RIGHT NOW WE HAVE A FEW IN STOCK AND THEY ARE PROBABLY THE NICEST LOT I HAVE EVER SEEN. 7.62X54R CALIBER, WITH ORIGINAL SCOPE, BAYONET AND ACCESSORY PACKAGE. THE SCOPES ALONE ON THESE ARE WOTH $300.00. GORGEOUS RIFLES , GREAT BORES. HISTORICALLY ACCURATE. THESE ARE SURE TO GAIN IN VALUE AND MAY BE THE LAST SNIPERS EVER.

M91/30 SNIPER....... $449.95

http://classicarms.us/