opinions??best polymer AK mag 7.62???

Metal mags better than polymer??

Yes...

But it's a matter of degree -the metal AK mags are just incredible in their toughness & reliability (and cost).

Polymers work. The Bulgarian black waffle is probably among the best of the type (Looks super cool, as well!).

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

ive never owned a polomer mag. whats the big deal with them? i have a chinese metal 30 rounder, and although it rattles a bit and tends to rust, its never failed to feed. im stocking up on mags now, and realy dontknow much about them. iv had my eye on the 20 round tanker mags. seems like a good comprimise between size and capasity. any one have experience with them?

Gents,

I have four of the waffles. They are cool but tight as heck. If you are looking for quick change out you might consider something a little smoother. You can get Romanian metal at Tapco and other outlets pretty reasonable. But all these are foreign.

Why not buy USA made as compliance parts. Price is pretty reasonable. Follow the link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=180371

Wolverine

thats right

sportsmans guide has us made ak mags in all capacities. they count as 3 us parts.

then again, tapco has 20 round metal mags that i LOVE! :wub::wub: for a good price. i'm not sure what its at now but i payed $4.00 for brand new never used 20 rounders from tapco. i believe they went up in price since then. but the price fluctuates. keep an eye on em. they will come down.

as far as poly mags, the polish ones look cooler i believe but they are garbage.

had 2 of em crack in about a dozen different places just from running rounds through em. never dropped of abused.

i have a bulgarian waffle mag that has yet to give me any problems. they seem to be made of a material similar to the saiga mags.

ultimately i'd stick to the metal mags as they will last your lifetime. if rusting is a problem with you, keep em oiled or you can have them parkerized or finished with a rhinoliner type material.

speaking of poly mags, i have a polish mag that has yet to crack that i would be willing to sell. if ya'll want it name a price.

ive never owned a polomer mag. whats the big deal with them? ....

Its partly looks, partly weight. They're somewhat lighter than the metal ones. You probably won't notice the weight unless you carry several around. If you had a mag pouch with four metal mags filled to capacity & an identical pouch with four polymer mags equally full, you'd be able to tell the difference. As far as looks, the polymer ones remain completely black because they're made from black polymer. No scratches will show up, and they won't fade with use like the metal ones might. They also won't rust like the metal ones (not the body anyway), and tend to look "cleaner" since they're molded to shape, not stamped & welded. Metal mags are great too, but the polymer ones also look more modern for those who are into that.

Edited by cvasqu03

The polish polymer mags are prone to cracking. Specifcally down the front rib, from the right side of the metal reinforcing tab. Some say it's a mold mark, BS! I can squeeze on the mag and see it move. All that said they still work as advertised.

Just for the sake of trivia, russian soldiers in afghanistan would choose the metal mag over polymer every time. The metal mags in the common ak chest pouch actually were thought of as a small measure of protective body army. The inverse was the plastic magazines would create fragments inside the body that were much more difficult to detect with x-ray once the soldier was in a hospital.

May you never have to choose between ak mags based on this information.

metal are best ak mag ever.....

but....WHAT IS "THE BEST" QUALITY POLYMER AK 7.62X39 MAGAZINE???

Bulgarian black Waffle magazine vote 1

Polish black smooth magazine vote 2

Russian Saiga black smooth magazine vote 3

Russian Tula Bakelite orange colored smooth magazine vote 4

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor
metal are best ak mag ever.....

but....WHAT IS "THE BEST" QUALITY POLYMER AK 7.62X39 MAGAZINE???

Bulgarian black Waffle magazine                                  vote 1

Polish black smooth magazine                                      vote 2

Russian Saiga black smooth magazine                          vote 3

Russian Tula Bakelite orange colored smooth magazine  vote 4

The bakelites are NOT polymer...

They are fiberglass with metal inserts in (as in sealed INSIDE) the top feed lip area. I am responding to them as you included them.

They are, in my opinion, the most reliable of the synthetic mags -they are nearly on par in this area as the metal mags. You will hear few, if any, complaints regarding them.

They are popular because they can be easily "fine tuned" to address any fit problems.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

while I had no problems per say, i did not like the large wear on the front of the mags, where a metal bullet guide normally is. this was only after ~750 rounds or so.

I also find the regular ak mags to be easier to insert and clip, than the saiga. There was nothing stopping the front edge from being too high in the well.

Edited by k_dawg

just keep em oiled down on the outside and they will not rust.

i use remoil on my metal mags. i'm sure that there are better lubes out there but that is what walmart has and that is where i work so that is what is most easily accessable. besides i like the aerosol can. easy application over large areas.

as long as you keep em lubed up they will last a lifetime.